“Paying for location, look elsewhere...”
Review of Copper Queen Hotel

Copper Queen Hotel
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Bisbee
Tucson, Arizona
“Paying for location, look elsewhere...”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My much anticipated trip to Bisbee included a stay at the Copper Queen Hotel, rich in history and charm. This is a very beautiful and well kept place. Unfortunately, I will not be recommending this hotel in the future.

Upon check-in, I tried to preview rooms as mentioned by reviewers, however the majority were occupied for the holiday weekend. So the room (206) was not so great with zero view. But looking beyond the age of the hotel (water-pressure problem), there are plenty of things that can be fixed by the owner to improve the quality of this place! I had to get up periodically throughout the night to adjust the window cooling unit. It was unbelievably loud, and startled me every time it kicked on! The mattress felt like a 500lb person had jumped up and down on it!!! I woke up feeling exhausted the next morning.

At check-out, the lady at the front desk didn't even bother to ask how everything was, only quick to ring up the credit card. I spoke up and told her about the incredibly noisy air unit and worn out mattress. She showed very little concern... said she would notify maintenance about the old window unit and have them check the mattress – did absolutely nothing to amend the poor experience. At $150+ this is unacceptable. I'm not sure I would have paid half the price to stay here. I've worked in the hospitality industry, and left feeling upset.

This town is full of wonderful people that would love to have you stay at their place! Go somewhere you won't feel like a number.

Room Tip: Preview first and thoroughly inspect cooling units!!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Danny T
Copperqueen, Owner at Copper Queen Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
I first would like to thank you for staying at our wonderful historical hotel. I am sorry you encountered a few problems. I wish we would have known about the air conditioner sooner but thank you for bring it to our attention. It had a ball bearing slip and were able to fix it in about 1/2 an hour. Unfortunately, not every room can have a view of the street, we only have 11 rooms with front views because we are shaped in a U formation. Next time let us know you require a front view and if we have the room, you will get it. I checked on the mattress, and it is only 2 yrs. old and still in good condition. We also had a 2 inch foam on the top. I am sorry it was not to your liking. We also talked to Angela about when you checked out and so we are training her better on how to respond. Again, thank you for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I recently stayed a night at the well-known Copper Queen Hotel. The view of the place was quite pleasant. The exterior of the facility was well kept along with the interior, and for the most case, the staff was very friendly during our check-in. When we asked if we could view the rooms, they were comfortable to accommodate with our request. However, in my opinion, the price we paid for the 1 night we felt was over priced. We did not get a full night of restful sleep due to a couple items: 1) the air conditioning was very loud, and 2) the bed was very uncomfortable. We did put into consideration about the age of the hotel at which some items are much harder to change like, the water pressure of the hotel was weak, but that was understandable. However, air conditioning and a mattress are items that can easily be in their control to fix. Nonetheless, in my opinion, I would highly recommend to review the rooms in more detail prior to selecting, as some rooms may not provide the best bed or an updated air conditioning unit.

Room Tip: As noted above in my blog opinion, please ask to review the rooms prior to selecting and to ensure t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Carlton127
La Habra, California
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This hotel was built in 1902 and it fits perfectly with the western motif of the entire town. You feel like you're in the old west. It has window style air conditioning and an older style television but it also has squeaky floors, claw bathtubs, and sometimes you have to wait for hot water to appear.My friend and I had different rooms for the same price. He got a smallish room with a window and a large bathroom. I got a larger room with a sitting room plus 3 windows and a small (but adequate) bathroom. There is a lobby on the ground floor and on the second floor. The staff really cared and was straight forward. The owners managed the hotel and were usually present. The location is perfectly central. If I was rating this hotel by the value of the experience to me I'd give it 5 stars. I can understand, however, if someone else rated it lower than my 4 stars.

Room Tip: There is such a variety of room that you might want to call the hotel and describe what you want and...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank California9
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed August 27, 2013

What a mistake we made in staying here. In our room (214), the window air conditioner compressor was so loud, it woke me every time it kicked-in during the night. The shower is so small, I banged my elbows on both opposing walls while washing my hair. There were drawer pulls missing from the drawers on the wardrobe. We had to go down the hallway to access the hotel wifi. We encountered roaches in both our room and in the dining room. The dining room serves little more than bar food. The continental breakfast was a joke: Frosted Flakes, some bad looking yogurt, and cold toaster waffles (the toasters did not get hot enough to warm them through).

This hotel is falling apart and the owners are doing nothing to renovate the facility. At almost $150.00 per night with tax, these folks should be ashamed.Do yourself a favor and do not throw-away your money here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank George C
.I am sorry you feel you made a mistake staying here. I am not ashamed of our beautiful historical hotel. A good 99.9% of people that come here love it and love the fact that we keep it historical. And I do work very hard in this hotel and do not understand where you think it is falling apart, and I spend as much money as I can to keep things updated and fixed. This is not meant to be a modern hotel. I'm sorry the air-conditioner was loud, if we would have known I would have had maintence look at it. All of our rooms have full baths, but some just have showers and others have a tub with a shower. Some even have the clawfoot tub. We have replaced the drawer handles that the previous customers took for a souviner. I checked the wifi and it's working however not all kinds of computers work with it. As far as the dinning room food I wasn't aware that Prime Rib, Baby-back ribs, Chicken Asiago, spaghetti and Lasagne among other sandwiches was bar food. I'll be sure and check on that. Our continental breakfast was not intended to be gourmet but a quick and light breakfast that is free to our guests. We also have a professional that comes in to take care of our bugs and sprays every week. So far I have not heard of any kind of bugs in our rooms. Since we are on the main floor and it is rainy season some might get through our open doors. For this I am truly sorry and would have been glad to have moved you room. I hope I have addressed all your complaints and concerns. I am truly sorry that you didn't understand how historical hotels are. We try our best.
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Loved the bar and bartender Karen. She was amazing and mixed our drinks just right. Would definitely visit again when she is there working. Love her!! Great service!!! Also awesome historic place to stay. Great drinks and accommodations!!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank southernsarah6
Copperqueen, General Manager at Copper Queen Hotel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Southernsarah6,

Thank you for your kind words on Karen and hotel. Karen is a valuable asset to our business and she brings lots of joy to our guests and staff! We hope to see you again in the near future.
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed August 18, 2013

COOL old place, charming and vintage and just great! Staff is very friendly, rooms are nice, location fabulous, town is fabulous and fun. Thoroughly enjoyable IF you want a charming, OLD hotel! We were told of paranormal activity by the receptionist. However, I was, personally, glad that WE did not experience any. The bar is a great place to relax, both inside and outside on the porch. The keyboardist playing that Thursday night is great-good tunes, nice whiskey voice too. Drinks very reasonably priced.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Muggie452,

“COOL old place” This is something we have been called on numerous occasions and I am glad we are still considered cool! Our hotel may be old but we still now how to have a good time! Like you said, we are a place with charm and if this is what you are looking for and a nice place to kick your feet up and relax this is the place for you! Come back and see us again!
Reviewed August 5, 2013

The Copper Queen is right in the middle of old historic Bisbee. When you enter the hotel it is like taking a step back in time! The rooms are small but clean and decorated like in Victorian era. The staff is friendly and helpful. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed July 2013
MargretAr,

Thank you for your kind word! You described us the way we like to be described and in the way we strive to keep our hotel. With being in the middle of Bisbee you are in walking distance from nearly any place you would like to see and enjoy.
Our hotel is 111 years old and this queen is one that demands a lot attention and care and does not like to disappoint anyone. We have a staff that takes great pride in their building and jobs and they do everything they can to make your stay as pleasant as possible. We keep YOUR hotel in tip top shape and as clean as we would want our travels to be.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bisbee
The Tombstone Grand Hotel
Audrey's  Inn
Audrey's Inn
#10 of 11 in Bisbee
The Gardens At Mile High Ranch

Been to Copper Queen Hotel? Share your experiences!