“Awful treatment by staff runined our wedding plans”
Review of Copper Queen Hotel

Copper Queen Hotel
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Bisbee
Reviewed March 14, 2008

From the outside, the Copper Queen is a beautiful, elegant relic of a time gone by. Having visited the hotel since I was a child, I knew it would lend the perfect atmosphere for my wedding. After meeting once with the owner Connie, who was very kind, I gathered my family to go down to the hotel to pay a deposit and start planning. I arrived to the worst treatment by hotel staff I have ever had, and that includes some of the most broke-down motels on both sides of the pond.
I was told by the front desk that the manager Adam would not be able to meet with us for our three o'clock appointment because he was having to cover for staff that quit in the dining room-- no apology. I couldn't believe I was being stood up (after driving 2 hours to get there) when I was about to drop a considerable amount of money for the wedding party. I explained to the front desk woman (don't know her name, but an older woman) that I knew it wasn't her fault, but I was really really disappointed. She said if we wanted to hang around he might be able to meet with us in an hour (and we had already been in bisbee for 4 hours, plus the drive... could someone not have called us to cancel or reschedule the appointment???).
The entire time that this was going on, the lobby was in CHAOS with several people arriving only to find that the room they thought was booked had not been. I also heard the front desk lady tell someone on the phone "She's busy. I can't help you. You can try to leave a message but I won't guarantee that she'll get it." Not exactly what I'd call "good" service.
When we asked the woman if the manager was certain that he could meet an hour later because we had things to get back to in Tucson, she became extremely rude, rolling her eyes and huffing, saying "he ONLY asked you to wait, like, an hour." suddenly we were the ones being made to feel bad about being stood up. (still no apology).
we decided to ask the manager himself, who we saw in the dining room. when he walked over my ever-polite finace extended his hand, which the manager looked at, and IGNORED! We explained that we were concerned about waiting for another hour, and wanted to make sure he would be able to meet with us. His response was "No,sorry. I had three staff quit." He said this all in a very rude, defensive way-- again, as though we were the ones with the problem. When I told him that we were going to put down a deposit, he said, "Look, I said I'm sorry, "m not going to say it again, and that's all I'm going to say."
WOW. There went my plans for my wedding down the drain-- I could never subject myself or my guests to such treatment, especially on what should be a wonderfully fun day. The thing is we are really understanding people, and all that needed to happen was this: the manager letting us know personally when we got there what the situation was, kindly apologizing, and offering to reschedule the appointment. Maybe a free drink at the bar for our trouble would have been nice :-) Instead I walked out in tears at being treated so rudely.
Neither the manager nor the owner ever followed up with us. My fiance called and left a message saying that if they could apologize and start over, we might still want to have our wedding there (any of you girls can imagine how sad i was to have what i considered my perfect place be lost like that). No response.
Not only would I never have a special event at the Copper Queen, I wouldn't stay there either. There are many beautiful and hospitable b&bs in bisbee that will give you a great experience.

• Stayed: February 2008
3  Thank KLM_04
There are newer reviews for Copper Queen Hotel

Reviewed March 9, 2008

We have lunch in the Victorian dining room. The Copper Queen Hotel's lobby had some interesting old artifacts. The hotel is a block above the Mining Museum.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JEC111
Reviewed February 23, 2008

While the historic hotel is nice enough and the desk clerks efficient and friendly, the restaurant ruined my stay. I ordered the "fall off the bone" spare ribs and baked potato. When it arrived, the ribs were dry and I couldn't cut them with a knife. The baked potato was raw. When I finally got someone's attention, I was met with indifference. She was the person who seated us. I finally got our waiter's attention, no thanks to the hostess, and he offered to replace the meal with fish. But by the time that arrived, my dining companion was done eating. There were two other tables complaining also.

And in the morning, I had to go to the bar to get coffee. She was just as rude as the restaurant management. It was a real hardship for her to pour two cups for take out. Didn't even offer cream or sugar.

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank DennisSanFrancisco
Reviewed January 26, 2008

We usually head to Arizona once a year (like so many) and have stay here once before. This time I brought two of my sons because they'd seen a ghost show about it. The check in was fast and friendly. The room was very nice and comfortable.
This is an old hotel, we don't expect it to like a new building. The stairs always remind me it might be diet time..creaky!! My youngest son and I enjoyed reading the "ghost log" at the front desk then quietly walking the floors late at night. It was a fun adventure.
Our dinner in the restaurant wasn't quite up to our previous meals there, but was okay. I think I had the thinnest porkchops I'd ever been served anywhere. However, the server was funny and friendly..that always makes a difference.
The history of the hotels is a big part of it's charm. Overall it's a neat place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank ZonaTripper
Reviewed December 26, 2007

My wife and I spent our wedding night with a large part of our wedding party as well,at the Copper Queen in late October. Though it was significantly higher priced than other hotels in the area we figured it was a trade off for it's downtown location, and the fact that we were traveling with a group that wanted to stay in the same place within walking distance to the downtown area. My wife made arrangements with the hotel to reserve rooms and each member of the group were to call in to claim the room by giving credit card info. More than one member was told by the hotel personel not to worry about giving credit info until the day they checked in since they had our credit information , so my wife called several days in advance to make sure that they gave their own card information and was told everyone had called in. We called again the morning of the check in and was told that one member did not check in and we would be billed for the room unless it was rented by 6 pm. We asked them to please rent it out if at all possible as we did not need it. When we checked in around 4:30 pm we were told all rooms were rented, so we did not worry about it. My error was not looking at the credit card receipt when I signed in as they still had two rooms billed to it. My wife called several times afterwards an was told she had to speak to the accountant named "Kevin" but he was never in, and did not return the messages left. After the attempts to contact kevin failed, and it was clear to us that they were not interested in looking in to the matter now that they had the payment, my wife told them that we would never come there again and they told her that it would not affect them if we never came back. The credit card company could not help since the card slip was signed for the amount for two rooms. the room was resold to another guest prior to us arriving, but they still double billed us. I only received a key for ONE room! I feel they do not conduct professional business well, and appear as though they are not interested in you or repeat business after the money is collected. I would also agree with other recent reponders that it is showing some age and only redeeming quality is that it is downtown. But there are other places downtown. We will be returning next year to the area with our group, but will not stay at the Copper Queen.

• Stayed: October 2007
4  Thank badcopperqueen
Reviewed December 6, 2007

I've stayed at the CQ many times over the years - mostly on business and, like one of the other reviewers, have noticed many changes - some even for the better. I have, however, given up on the old lady as the noise and the poor upkeep over the years have taken their toll to the extent that it is an uncomfortable place to stay. The saloon is o.k. but the food in the restaurant is very below par and the rooms are not comfortable. I'd recommend one of the B&B's further up the canyon at some distance (but still walkable) from the centre of the town.

• Stayed: February 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank NFLD1
Reviewed November 20, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Copper Queen hotel and absoultely fell in love with it. The Winchester Restaurant was fabulous. We like to watch sports so they brought our breakfast and dinner in the Saloon. I looked around at other hotels and I have to have a CLEAN hotel. Copper Queen was by far the BEST. It is centrally located too. The owner was friendly and always at hand. They had bikers at the Saloon and that was cool too as well as young and old. Everyone seems to love it. My husband loves the old west and we stayed in Bisbee to go to Tombstone for Helldorado days. You will NOT be disappointed if you stay there.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank tinetine4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bisbee
Bisbee Grand Hotel
#3 of 9 in Tombstone
Sierra Suites
Sierra Suites
#1 of 22 in Sierra Vista

Been to Copper Queen Hotel? Share your experiences!