“Old West Charm”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Bisbee
Prescott, Arizona
“Old West Charm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I'm a traveling blues musician and I'm on the road a couple hundred days a year. Rarely am I surprised in my travels, but last week when I was passing through Bisbee Arizona on my way to a gig in Phoenix I stopped and stayed at The Grand Hotel. This is an older venue--when I say older I mean 1800s--but in remarkable condition with a great deal of "old west" charm.

When Christin checked me into my room I was expecting to be led into a modernized 1800s cubicle that would be antiquated and over-priced. Boy was I surprised! She took me into a small lobby area, with leather couches and old west decor that was nothing less than charming. This led through a door into my personal suite that featured cowboy decor and signed, framed old movie posters featuring every old west Hollywood icon there ever was.

The king sized bed was to-die-for comfortable and gave me the best night's sleep of my entire trip. The oversized luxuriously appointed bath featured a personal jacuzzi as well as an oversized shower and closet for hanging clothes. The room was also furnished with beautiful old west style antiques, but it had modern TV & WIFI conveniences. I don't know how they do it, as my room adjoined the saloon, but I never heard a sound--it must be the thick brick walls.

If you're in the Bisbee area, I highly recommend that you check out this quaint town and give The Grand Hotel a try (if they're not fully booked!) Oh, did I mention, my stay also included a cowboy style breakfast with eggs, roasted potatoes, fat link sausages and grilled Texas toast. What a jewel!

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
bisbeegrandhotel, Owner at Bisbee Grand Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Val and Bill (owners of the BGH), as well as the staff, deeply appreciates your review on the BGH.

The owners and staff makes every effort to provide a turn of-the-century atmosphere which will be REMEMBERED and TREASURED by our guests and compliments our their visit to Bisbee.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Casa Grande, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed here recently, and were impressed with the homey feel and attentive staff. The hotel is conveniently located downtown near many shops and saloons. There is a saloon downstairs. There was live music on the weekends, and it seems like they have live music at various times. The staff was so nice. There is a wonderful breakfast, that is included in the price of the hotel. If you need anything, all your have to do is ask. Everyone who works here is ready to help! ;) Free wifi is really nice!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Val and Bill, owners of the BGH, deeply appreciates your KIND words about our staff. We all make every effort to have guests experience the finest in hospitality, as well as, taking a trip back to the Turn-of- of the century. Visiting the BGH is like staying in a old western museum,.
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Spent one night at the Bisbee Grand to celebrate my birthday. My husband and I shared the Hollywood Western suite as a birthday splurge. The king sized bed was so comfortable-- the mattress and sheets were just right. The room itself is HUGE as is the bathroom which includes a jacuzzi tub, perfect for soaking. The hot breakfast (eggs, potatoes, awesome toast) was good and satisfying. The location can't be beat-- Cafe Roka a very short walk in one direction, Screaming Banshee Pizza a very short walk in the other.

Friends stayed in one of the standard rooms and enjoyed their stay as much as we did.

The only negative was the fact that we could hear conversations in the adjacent rooms but even that wasn't a really big deal for us. It's an old building, these things happen.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your KIND thoughts about your stay with us. Val and Bill (owners) appreciate that you spent your birthday at the BGH and both your review of hotel and the town of Bisbee. Bisbee is a great place to visit. Bisbee, as well as the BGH, allows visitors to experience a turn-of-century atmosphere.
Bangor, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

There is lots to like about the Bisbee Grand Hotel: its uniquenss and historical character, friendly staff and owners, good breakfast, easy parking across the street, decent prices, and its location in the heart of this picturesque town, with a fine restaurant down the street (and some nice jewelry shops: the agate necklace I found there was such a hit with the wife that I don't think she's taken it off this past month).
There are both suites, which the hotel features (and which get mainly positive reviews), and regular rooms - traveling alone, I asked for one of the latter, which I would rate as average, at best. Though clean and nicely furnished in the style of a century ago (which out West counts as historic), it was also rather dark (with a single interior-facing window and weak overhead light); the rod for closing the blind was missing, as was the tv remote; the bulb in the small desk lamp was out; and the mirror over the in-room sink lacked a light (so I didn't even try to shave). Hotel is linked to a tavern next door, where one checks in - even the quieter rooms get to hear the live music on weekends (but mostly guitars/singing, as opposed to amplified bass thumps, and so tolerable). But that, and the thin walls, and some loud fellow guests, made for a fairly noisy evening. [Guest deportment seems to be a problem: Upon check-in one is asked to sign a list of a dozen or so house rules.]
So definitely a "fun and friendly" place, but maybe not equally suited to every demographic - although I'm still glad that I was able to stop by in Bisbee; and retain generally fond memories of this hotel, as well.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ranke
Thank you for taking them time to REVIEW the BGH. We appreciate your comments and will work on the lighting in the room that you stayed. We take pride in allowing our guests to experience what lodging was like before the Turn-Of-The-Century. we apologize that a light bulb was out. Our staff is well trained to keep a look out for such possible problems, but, sometimes will miss seeing things like a burned out light bulb. But, also, keeping up with burned out light bulbs is a problem in a Turn-of-the-century hotel because they mostly go out when nobody is around. Could it be the resident GHOST playing tricks?
Fontana, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Fun and friendly. Everyone was friendly and helpful . The Hotel is unique. All rooms are different and large or small very cheerful with great attention to detail. Breakfast was terrific and we had a wonderful visit with the owner who shared historic information about Bisbee. We will definately be back and recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: Ask to see a few as they are all different and they don't mind showing them to you.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for you very KIND review of our hotel. YES!!! Many of our guests tell us about their experience of having FUN while staying at the BGH. We find that we attract the type of guests who ENJOYS what Bisbee, as a town offers, which is a TRIP back in time as well as being unblemished with modern day BOX stores and franchised establishments. A stay at the BGH will take you back to the early 1900,s in an elegant fashion.
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

Very nice hotel in a historic building in old Bisbee. The entire hotel is very authentically decorated and the rooms are really pretty, though maybe somewhat dramatic for those who like a more minimalistic design. They include a very decent complimentary hot breakfast. The rates aren’t bad either, and they give good discounts on weekdays.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Val and Bill, proud owners of BGH, thank you for REVIEWING our establishment. Your correct in mentioning that our place of lodging is not for everybody. We take PRIDE in offering a TRUE Turn-of-the-Century atmosphere. We are not a RESORT, but, offer guests the BEST in service, quaint rooms, and suites that are beyond comparison in the Southwest.
Valley Springs, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

So I'm sitting one of the days of my stay in the bar eating the complimentary breakfast that they provide every morning, and a woman emerges from a door in a fireplace that I didn't even knew existed. She starts casually talking with me and I find out that she happens to be one of the owners of the hotel, and that the office happens to be in a room behind said "fireplace" The hostes of the hotel had tried to get my room upgraded to a much nicer room on the first floor for the last two nights of my trip because my father was having trouble taking the stairs. I was going to rent the room, at the extra cost but my Father told me not to. The owner learned this from the hostes, and when her husband came out and started talking to me as well he offered us the room on the first floor at no additional cost. My dad has been fighting with a very severe disease for over a year. I want to promote people that think enough of others to do simple favors like that. The hotel is beautiful the rooms on the first floor are wonderful, all the rooms are different and it is right in the heart of downtown Bisbee. I'm personally very thankful for my stay.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor are really nice. I strongly suggest you get one of them.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jonathan R
Loving the OWNERS is LOVING the BGH. Both Val and Bill love talking to guests, as well as, listening to their EXPERIENCES while not just staying at the BGH, but, visiting Bisbee. The staff takes pride in making guests feel comfortable. The owners, Manager, and staff offer the most friendly service in not just Bisbee, but, probably the entire Southwest..
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bisbee
Copper Queen Hotel
Tombstone Monument Ranch
Tombstone Monument Ranch
#2 of 9 in Tombstone
The Gardens At Mile High Ranch

Been to Bisbee Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!