“Expert Guides and Exhilarating Experiences”
Review of Alaska Waters

Alaska Waters
Ranked #3 of 17 things to do in Wrangell
More attraction details
Owner description: Wilderness Adventure Tour Company, in Wrangell, Alaska. Located in SE Alaska in the heart of the Tongass National Forest. Guided AnAn Creek bear viewing tours. Stikine River Wilderness Jet Boat tours. LeConte Glacier Tours. Guided Flyfishing. Alaska Native Cultural tours.
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Wrangell Alaska is in the inside passage and it is a great place to visit because of all the amazing activiities there. We used Alaska Waters for a day trip to the Anan Bear Observatory. Jim is an expert captain, and their boat is comfortable and safe as well as the only one in the area with a head on board. Jim guided the small group on the path to the observatory and provided so much information. Seeing the bears was an amazing experience; watching them fish for salmon and interact with one another was almost surreal.

Alaska Waters also has a day trip on the Stikene River. This is true wildrerness, and wonderfully beautiful. It was fun too! The twists and turns on the river are great. We also had the opportunity to see lots of glacial ice from Shakes Glacier. The mist and blue ice was very impressive. Jim has done this for quite some time, and was very repsonsive to any of our requests.

We would highly recommend Alaska Waters for day trips when in Wrangell. We will certainly use them again.

Reviewed October 22, 2011

We travel to Alaska as often as time and budget permits. I have to say of all the tours and "wildlife experiences" we have enjoyed in AK, JIm Leslie and his team at Alaska Waters has provided us with some extraordinary experiences. Our latest trip with Jim up the Stikine River to Telegraph Creek BC was no exception.

Jim's years of experience as a captain as well as his intimate knowledge of the Wrangell area, the Stikine River valley and Alaska Native culture are a gift to his guests. We had a small group of I think 12 people. The boat is very comfortable and a really fun ride. If you are interested, you can see pics of the Chutine Warrior on their website. Our adventure lasted 4 days. We saw lots of wildlife, eagles, moose etc. and some of the most beautiful scenery we've seen in a long time. As a photographer, this was a real feast for me!

The wilderness cabins were really quite comfortable. If you want the Ritz you're in the wrong place. But, if you enjoy a beautiful star-filled sky and the sound and smell of a camp fire, this is the best! The great family-style breakfast after our first day and night on the river was the perfect way to start day 2 as we made our way up to Telegraph Creek.

The river was running a little high this Fall which made navigating the rapid water a little bit more of a challenge than usual, but Jim did great. Our trip up the river through the Grand Canyon of the Stikine was breath-taking. Accommodations at the lodge in Telegraph Creek were clean, cozy and very friendly, we'd have stayed for another week if it was possible, those folks can cook!

The long and short of it is... Alaska Waters is a top notch outfit. Family owned and operated, these folks do it like nobody else. The Stikine River is a breath-taking natural wonder and should be on your list of "must see". Traveling by jetboat up the fastest moving waterway in North America is a great adventure for couples, small groups or families. The group is small and intimate, you get to know folks from all over. We're even talking with new friends from Australia about a reunion trip next year!

We'll keep coming back to Alaska, and you can bet we will travel with Alaska Waters whenever we're in the neighborhood! Thanks.

Reviewed October 22, 2011

We have been on four tours with Alaskan Waters on two different trips to Alaska. The first tour was during the spring eagle migration which was absolutely incredible. As a professional photographer I was astounded by the sheer number of eagles. It was truly breathtaking. Jim Leslie always took time throughout the tour to make sure I got the shot needed for my work and any questions were always answered With two very inquisitive boys ages 6 and 9 there were many. It was an amazing experience and we couldn't wait to return in July for the bears. In July we took the family back to see the bears at Anan, the Stikine River tour, and my youngest and I went up to LeConte Glacier. We have toured with many other companies in the past but Alaskan Waters was top by far. Jim and the other guides were not only professional at all times but provided a safe and educational environment for the entire family. We were able to safely view and photograph the bears and come away with such knowledge and respect for these great animals. I would give the Glacier and River tours the highest ratings as well. Watching the glacier calving was incredible and I never once felt rushed during the tour. Jim took as much time as was needed for everyone to view and experience the sites. We will definitely be back and will be booking with Alaskan Waters again.

Reviewed October 21, 2011

I have made many trips to telegraph Creek with Alaska waters and try to go every year because I love this trip. I did not go this year as I had Hip surgery in Aug. so i missed this trip.
But have my name in for 2012 to go to telegraph Creek and to about 3 other with Alaska Waters.There is no guarantee that wildlife is going to come out but have seen many on my trips.I would not go with any one else but Alaska waters.With the price of gas the way it has been I am surprised they don't charge more. I am a retired Gift shop owner so now i can take
trips and want to spend as much time on the Stikine river, Laconte, and Anan bear viewing with Alaska Waters. I never get tired of those trips. I have never had a bad trip with Alaska Waters . These trips are fun, safe and Capt Jim is the best. Oh by the way I will be 83 in Nov.
Olga Norris

Reviewed October 21, 2011

This past August I was in Wrangell and was really lucky to get passage with Alaska Waters on the Anan Bear Watching Tour and The Stikine River Safari.....Even though it was raining hard we had an incredible time with the bears...We were very very close to bears and I was really glad to know that they had plenty of fish to take care of their hunger. I also could see that Capt. Jim knew what he was doing as he talked to each bear by name to reassure them about our close proximity...I really enjoyed this experience but it was on the Stikine River that I had one of those lifetime adventures that I reserve only for my bucket list...The Stikine is North America's fastest flowing navigable river...and the rain that we endured with the bears was replaced by beautiful blue skies and sunshine. Alaska Water's took us up the river in a boat much more like a limousine. Capt. Jim is an expert at reading the river and in the 180 miles we ran upstream there were a good many hazards that he saw and reacted to much the same as a driver might react on a cross country drive....all the while pointing out landmarks and telling us some very interesting stories about famous people and steamboats during the 1898 Gold Rush. We saw Bears, Moose, Beavers, and a lot of Bald and Golden Eagles...The incredible scenery with over 100 Glaciers kept me clicking constantly with my camera. The people we met up river and the little Ghost Town of Telegraph Creek were perfect subjects for photography and I felt as though I had journeyed not just up the river but also back in time by 100 years. The trip is expensive but a great opportunity for those with an adventurous spirit....I was able to make friends with my fellow adventurers that will stay with me always....Highly recommended for adventure seekers, couch potatoes, photographers, and history buffs...Not recommended for travelers that need a 5 star hotel with all the amenities.

1  Thank MakenaCaptrog

Been to Alaska Waters? Share your experiences!