“Extraordinary Hospitality”

and 1 more site!
Alaskan Host Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 7 Willow B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The Alaskan Host is a unique B&B that was the perfect place for six nights in July for my wife, two teen daughters, father-in-law and me. I give this place five stars for the hospitality of hosts Kathy and Jim Huston; the fun, beautiful, interesting property that they live in and share; the delicious breakfasts; and the overall value. We used the Alaskan Host as our base for the day trips we planned for fishing and sightseeing -- Palmer, Wasilla, Willow, Talkeetna, Denali N.P., Hatcher Pass, e.g. My father-in-law enjoyed the Alaska Room. The rest of us were in the Whale Room. Each room has its own bathroom. The two queen beds in the Whale Room are of different firmness -- one was better than the other for my back issues that started just before our trip. Kathy kindly offered an ice pack for my daily use. Jim equipped us with garage-sale procured fishing equipment for our trout fishing adventures. I was happy to add to his tackle. My father-in-law is ready to adopt the hosts into our family. Thank you Jim and Kathy.

My only regret is not asking for a fan for our room during a few of the warm nights.

Read the other reviews. They give an accurate picture of what to expect. As of this writing, do not use Google Maps for directions. They have the location incorrectly near Shirley Lake Drive.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 27, 2013

This is a tough review to write. There are few places to stay in the Willow area; the property grounds are drop dead gorgeous and our stay was fine, unique and affordable, but I am not sure that we would stay there again. I think we would go to Wasilla if I was avoiding Anchorage or Talkeetna.

The area: There is little in Willow unless you are there to fish. We had to drive 12 miles on back roads for dinner. Although dinner was great and fresh with real local flavor (Eagle Quest Lodge,) it was a hike. Now to the property.

It is gorgeous. They have a private pond where moose come to feed, geese live happily and where there are boats for guests to enjoy. That is WAY ABOVE any expectations for a B&B. The grounds (and house for that matter) have an interesting mix of natural beauty and kitsch.

Kathy and Jim are gracious hosts. You can tell that they are as interested in their guests as the guests are interested in Alaska. Kathy served moose sausage for breakfast and ate with us around a kitchen table. She even had their dog do "cute dog tricks." That was fun.

So why 3 stars? This was the first B&B that we have ever stayed in where there was no clear delineation between business and home. There would be a stack of books and then reading glasses left on the stack. Are these open for us to read or no? The trophies were fun. They even have a pool table in the living room that you are welcome to use. But I found the home cluttered and a bit uncomfortable. To me it felt more like a guest house than a B&B. In addition, if you are averse to religious symbolism and religious sayings in your living space, this is not the place for you.

I have to admit, that if I had seen the picture that I've posted, I would not have been surprised by this and could have made an informed decision. I do believe that Jim and Kathy practice their religion sincerely; this seems like an evangelical part of the state, the symbols and sayings were off-putting to me because I am not big on shirtsleeve religious practice.

But to each their own; this could be your perfect stay. It was not ours.

We stayed in the Alaska room.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ChloesMomBetsey
Reviewed June 25, 2013

A very nice B&B with a jaw dropping view of the beautiful pond on the property with spectacular mountains in the background. A great place to unwind on our last night in Alaska. If you have a afternoon flight from Anchorage it is an easy 90 minute drive to the airport from Alaskan Host. The hosts were very pleasant and the breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2013

For the true Alaskan experience - this is the place to stay! The hosts, Jim and Kathy Huston, make you feel like you have known them forever, and welcomed us like family. The home is warm, inviting, comfortable and uniquely Alaskan. Jim's wildlife and fish trophies enhance the artistic, Alaska-themed rooms that Jim designed and created – including 3D mural paintings! Amazing! The quiet location has breath-taking mountain views that ascend above the fish-teeming lake just outside the door. Our breakfast was delicious, and according to the locals we talked to, Kathy’s cooking is well known as the best in the local community. Did I mention it would be hard to beat these great prices? Incredible place! We will definitely be back!
Bill & Michele - Nikiski, AK

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michele H
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We were looking for a place to host our first ever ladies retreat from our church. Since this was the first time we had a retreat, we were a bit nervous looking for a place to stay. When we stumbled upon the Alaskan Host B and B, we knew we had a winner! The living room was large, yet cozy and comfortable. The bedrooms were spacious and decorated with Alaskan flair. Our hunting husbands would be jealous with all the animal mounts around the house : ) Kathy and Jim were good cooks (we even had moose sausage!) and Jim has a never-endling list of jokes! The location is great (30 minutes from Wasilla) so it makes an ideal place for those visiting our great state, and an easy commute for local folks

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I can't begin to stay how much we enjoyed our stay here. I loved how your decorated the rooms! The setting is amazing and the breakfast was the best ever! We were excited to sample moose sausage and it was delicious! Kathy and Jim could not have been more helpful to us. We were made to feel right at home from the start. We hated to leave but Denali was calling our name! We'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for the Room with the Outhouse Bathroom! You pull a flyswatter to flush the toilet! Jim had a...