Inn At Whittier
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whittier
Reviewed August 6, 2013

People say don't stay in Whittier but I disagree. This is a very cute Inn right on the water with views right down the sound. The bar is cosy and the menu at the restaurant more than adequate though I do think they should include breakfast in the price. They have a variety of rooms to suit all needs. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a harbour view room or a suite.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Location is wonderful, we loved the adjacent marina and watching the boats. We do not consider this a 'luxury' property, although it may be considering what is available in Whittier. I can't really review the food, we had breakfast one morning it was pricey but fine. My suggestions to management; inform guests at check in that the phone cannot be used for calls other than room to room, the thermostat is a placebo button, the microwave and fridge is down the hall, ice is available at the front desk. We spent time figuring these things out and got irritated in the process. Please get decent coffe, this is a small thing for some folks, but for many it is one of the standards they gauge the establishment by. We stayed at a modest hotel in Anchorage that had decent coffee free all day long for guests, nice touch. Please give your guests a way to enjoy your best feature, the view. For those staying street side there is no place except dining areas. Maybe take the balcony over the restaurant and designate it for relaxing and watching the boats. We had a sweetheart of a waiter that let me outside to take photos, that shouldn't be such an unusual thing.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank P H
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We booked the Ocean View room, and though there aren’t many amenities, the hotel is cute, and we had a great view of the ocean, and an indirect view of the fishing docks (but not close enough to have any fishy smells!). The hotel did provide a small refrigerator on request. The food in the restaurant was very good, too. Not many people we spoke with thought there was much to do in Whittier, but we had a nice time. The docks are interesting, there’s a great waterfall nearby, and the dock for the glacier tours was a very short walk. If you’re driving to Whittier, check the tunnel schedule first! It’s a neat drive, but you won’t want to be waiting 45 minutes for it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I met my sister and brother in law in Whittier Alaska for a weekend to go deep sea fishing. We are from Alabama and had cruised the inside passage with the cruise ending in Whittier. My sister lives in Anchorage and met us here. We rented one of their two story condos. My husband and I took the bedroom upstairs and my sister and brother in law stayed on the sleeper sofa in the living area. Both slept well and the views on both levels were great. Lots of windows that open allowing the cool air in. There are two full baths, one on each level which made this an easy room to share plus lots of seating area. The hotel restaurant and bar are about the best in Whittier although there are several little places like Sweetwater, that have good foo. I loved the crab cakes at Sweetwater. I would also recommend that if you go deep sea fishing, check out Fee's Custom Seafood. They processed, froze and shipped our Halibut home and I now have a freezer full. They got it to us still frozen and enclosed several recipes for Halibut. We went there to pick up my sister's fish the day after dropping it all off and learned they had worked until 2:00 a.m. taking care of all the folks that dropped their fish for shipping. The owner told us how difficult it is to get seasonal help or even a place for them to live in Whittier so they work until the work is done. Real salt of the earth people.
If you stay in Whittier, this is the hotel and check out Sweetwater and Fee's for seafood.

Room Tip: If you share the two story condo, note that there is no door on the upstairs bedroom. My husband sn...
1  Thank Donna S
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I can only rate the restaurant, as I did not stay at the hotel. The menu is creative and superb. We had the king crab stuffed jalapeno poppers, the trio of oysters, the Alaskan Hunter salad with duck breast, the the chicken stuffed with reindeer sausage and Havarti cheese. I liked that the menu focused on Alaskan ingredients, but was entirely unique from anyplace else we have dined. The view of Prince William Sound from the bar and restaurant itself is worth stopping in for a drink, it is gorgeous. We saw sea otters and bald eagles, and you are perched right on the water. It was nice seeing the boats come in. The service from the waitstaff was sharp, professional, friendly and we never felt rushed as we were lingering over the great food and view. They had a guitarist playing in the bar next door to the dining room and he was great. He played soulful traveling songs and we really enjoyed the background music. The entire dining experience was exceptional. I would recommend dining at the Inn at Whittier for any foodies, or anyone looking for a destination restaurant close to Girdwood and surrounding areas. It would have made a nice drive or ge-away from Anchorage as well. Whittier itself is not much of a destination, but the Inn's location on the harbor is really, really nice.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My family and I spent one night, July 4, at the Inn At Whittier as part of a 10-day tour of Alaska. There were 7 of us in our group and we all enjoyed our stay. As the only lodging available in Whittier and with only 25 rooms, we found the accommodations more than adequate.

Our room was clean and spacious with great views of the water and harbor. The staff was friendly, for the most part. We had great food and service at dinner, but unfortunately breakfast was disorganized and slow.

There is not much to do in Whittier, but this inn was a nice place to stay after our Prince William Sound cruise and I would recommend it.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We just stayed here one night, as we came from Seward the night before and did the 26 glacier cruise the following day. The room was nice, the bed was comfy and the view was beautiful. Nice hotel for somewhere like Whittier. There was some noise anytime people were in the hall, but other than that, no issues.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor, which appeared to be the top floor and we had vaulted ceilings. Very nice...
Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank droideka27
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whittier
Ski Inn
Alyeska Hideaway
Alyeska Hideaway
#3 of 3 in Girdwood
Hidden Creek Bed and Breakfast

Been to Inn At Whittier? Share your experiences!