“Kayak instructions”
Review of Paddlers' Realm

Paddlers' Realm
Reviewed August 30, 2012

For first rate kayak instructions I recommend Ryan Collins at Paddler's Realm in Whittier, AK. Ryan has been my instructor on two occasions: at the Kayak Symposium in Homer, AK (Katchemak Bay) for the intermediate group of paddlers and for a private session in Prince William Sound (Whittier, AK). He is amazing! Ryan is able to identify technique challenges for the paddler and make suggestions to achieve desired results for improved and correct paddle strokes. Did I mention that Ryan is amazing? He is patient and calm. Ryan knows the right progression of skills to advance the paddler in his/her quest for improvement and competency. The days spent with Ryan Collins were "Hallelujah" days. I was always challenged, had a great time, and improved my kayak paddle and handling skills.

2  Thank Elaine S
"fantastic guide"
in 3 reviews
"kayak excursion"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this adventure"
"blueberries"
in 5 reviews
"knowledge"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed August 2, 2012

My husband and I spent two days paddling in the Prince William Sound and really enjoyed it! Our guide, Ryan, was knowledgeable and friendly. We were new to kayaking but Ryan showed us the ropes. The first day, he took us for a guided tour and provided a delicious lunch that was catered to my special dietary needs (gluten-free). I was really impressed! On our adventure we saw plenty of wildlife, including a sea otter, my favorite animal. The second day, we rented a kayak and gear to go out to Shotgun Cove on our own. We had a great trip and the prices were very reasonable compared to other kayaking companies in the area. Going with this company supports a true Alaskan small business. I highly recommend it.

2  Thank LAKatie
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Each year a group of my close girlfriends and I go for a trip somewhere in the state of Alaska. We decided to conquer the Girdwood/Whittier area for this year's trip. That is when I received a recommendation from my dentist for Paddlers Realm. He had rave reviews about Ryan, the trips and the lunch provided. Ryan put together a customized trip for what we were wanting to do that day and was so much fun to hang out with. He was really great with us being beginning kayakers, but also took us to some amazing locations. He also put on quite a spread for lunch. We heard that the food was excellent and they were definitely right on with that. We are really happy with our choice to use Paddlers Realm and would definitely repeat the trip in the future.

1  Thank Devon T
Reviewed July 9, 2012

There is no better person to take you out in Whittier. Ryan is the expert when it comes to kayaking the area. He delivers knowledge that others can't compete with. We are all pretty much novices when it comes to long paddles. He was able to make everyone feel safe and comfortable. The Lunches that were provided are simply amazing. I hope this helps in your search!

2  Thank Scott M
See more reviews
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Thanks to our guide Ryan we keep coming back for more incredible adventures sea kayaking. For our first trip we were a group of 5 and Ryan took us along the coast line of Prince William Sound. We saw many beautiful waterfalls, eagles, sea otters and sea lions. We stopped at a beach for lunch and Ryan made us a delicious feast. It was a gorgeous day and we all had the best time ever!
My fiancé and I loved sea kayaking so much that we asked Ryan for a private sea kayaking training class. He was very good at explaining different strokes, maneuvers, assisted rescues and self rescue skills. He was very thorough and he went through any questions that we had.

The next trip was to Balckstone Bay and we brought our friends that were visiting Alaska for the first time. It was raining but it did not matter because Ryan equipped us with dry suits, poogies(paddle mitts), booties, spray skirt and life jackets. The good thing about rain is that the water was calm and it is less windy then a sunny day. We also took a covered and heated water taxi to Blackstone bay, which kept us warm until we got to our destination. Once we started sea kayaking near the glaciers, we were all astonished by the beauty of the glaciers surrounding us. We could hear and see the glaciers calving! It was our favorite sea kaying trip ever and we highly recommend it!
We will be telling our friends in Alaska and bringing our guests that come visit us in Alaska.
Thank you Ryan for amazing adventures!

2  Thank Melissa8074