Alaska Sea Kayakers - Day Trips
Review Highlights
Professional, Safe and Easy to Work With!

My dad and I went on two separate kayak tours when we were in Alaska and our trip with Alaska Sea... read more

Reviewed November 5, 2019
Juliette C
Atlanta, Georgia
Great Kayak Trip!

What a wonderful way to spend the morning. These guys were super nice, explained everything really... read more

Reviewed August 28, 2019
KBW
Milwaukee WI
via mobile

All reviews rubber boots picnic lunch dry bag safety instructions stay dry canal trip kayaking experience salmon berries spawning salmon incredible experience black stone rain or shine bald eagles these guys top notch hour tour beautiful scenery
Selected filters
Reviewed July 19, 2016

We booked the Blackstone Glacier kayaking tour and couldn't be happier!

Wanted to find an activity that would keep my two active sons (12 and 10) engaged and outdoors, while also appealing to my parents who are in their seventies.
The Alaska Sea Kayakers Day Trip to Blackstone Glacier was perfect!

Alaska Sea Kayakers provides dry bags for your personal belongings, rain gear and boots, as well as all the supplies needed for a beach-shore picnic and day of kayaking fun. (Side Note: My son has a severe peanut allergy, and the tour co made sure to provide a peanut-free meal just for him. WOW!)

The staff are knowledgable guides/kayakers/tour professionals and excessively thoughtful and helpful. They understood that our group had polar opposite needs -- and kept *everyone* smiling, entertained, ooh-ing and ahh-ing, and appreciating the beauty and wonder of nature.

This is an absolute must-do tour! My parents have lived in Alaska over 50 years and they've had many great adventures. When seasoned Alaskans like them declare the day to be one of their Alaskan-life highlights, you know this experience is a MUST.

Date of experience: July 2016
2  Thank crasianpandasian
Reviewed July 15, 2016 via mobile

We drove to Whittier after reading about it I the travel guide. What a great stop. The Alaska sea kayak company was safety conscience and able to accommodate every level of experience in our group. We did a three hour tour with Jonathan who was as informative as he was patient.
We saw eagles and a rookery and some beautiful waterfalls. It was a wonderful day and wonderful experience.
Whittier too was a town that was so interesting and beautiful. So worth it and highly recommend it.

Date of experience: July 2016
1  Thank judyl237
Reviewed July 8, 2016

This was an absolutely amazing experience. If the guides had some naturalist training and a little more attention to detail, it would have been even better, but I still recommend this company and this activity.

Details:
After reviewing many day-long glacier kayak options, the Blackstone Bay Tour by Alaska Sea Kayakers seemed like the best value when considering the experience. It's an interesting and scenic journey to get to Whittier to begin with, and the scenery (glaciers, wildlife, waterfalls) that we saw while kayaking was amazing. Lunch exceeded my expectations, and the group (since everyone's kayaks are filled with group supplies) carries extra water and snacks.

Pete, the guy who helped us with reservations, was extremely responsive, helpful, and accommodating. The girl he had helping in the office on the day we went was also really nice. The company provides all the outerwear you'll need, and had extra ziplocs and sunscreen, just in case.

Our guides were good, but could have been better. I can't remember their names--Natalie and Christina? One didn't seem to know much about the area/nature. She took a horrible path during the optional glacier hike and had us walking through snow (the kind of snow that has melted beneath the top layer so you end up breaking through it and hitting underlying rock, sometimes more than knee deep) and walking on steep paths, entirely off-trail. On the way back, she lost the way and we had to backtrack, at which point we also figured out we could have avoided tromping through the snow on a safer path. We made it back safely though, and it was worth the hike (one could also have opted to not go on the hike, so I accept my role in this). The other guide was decent, she seemed to know more and was the lead guide. Another improvement the guides could make is to make sure kayaks don't have ropes hanging in the water when they launch. Since most of us are novice kayakers, we didn't know and assumed the guides removed obstructions (you can't really see the ropes hanging off the front from inside the kayak), and the drag that was created made kayaking way harder than it needed to be.

Ultimately though, this was an awesome, unforgettable experience, and I still recommend it.

2  Thank PensantALaMer
Reviewed June 22, 2016 via mobile

Fantastic trip...well guided and enjoyable day... I've been in this state over 50 years and this was a day I'll talk up for some time to come...

2  Thank ADM33917
Reviewed June 17, 2016

We recently did the Blackstone Bay kayak trip and it was worth every penny. The company and our guide were professional, experienced and enthusiastic. The equipment was very nice quality and the lunch they served mid-day was more than sufficient. This trip was customer-oriented and we felt they were dedicated to making sure we had a fun and safe experience. The scenery was spectacular. If you are looking for an active day trip with a wow factor, this is it.

3  Thank Americantourist261