“Wonderful day on the water”

Alaska Sea Kayakers - Day Trips
Ranked #9 of 19 Tours in Whittier
More attraction details
Owner description: Day Kayak Trip
Reviewed August 2, 2016

Alaska Sea Kayakers were amazingly accommodating with our group of 7, they even allowed a last minute addition of two people to our reservation when their flight got canceled. Our guide, Victoria, was delightful, the gear was all in great condition, the lunch was truly delicious, and the scenery could not have been more beautiful. Highly recommend this day trip!

2  Thank Atxdori
"few hours"
"paddle"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed July 19, 2016

We booked the Blackstone Glacier kayaking tour and couldn't be happier!

Wanted to find an activity that would keep my two active sons (12 and 10) engaged and outdoors, while also appealing to my parents who are in their seventies.
The Alaska Sea Kayakers Day Trip to Blackstone Glacier was perfect!

Alaska Sea Kayakers provides dry bags for your personal belongings, rain gear and boots, as well as all the supplies needed for a beach-shore picnic and day of kayaking fun. (Side Note: My son has a severe peanut allergy, and the tour co made sure to provide a peanut-free meal just for him. WOW!)

The staff are knowledgable guides/kayakers/tour professionals and excessively thoughtful and helpful. They understood that our group had polar opposite needs -- and kept *everyone* smiling, entertained, ooh-ing and ahh-ing, and appreciating the beauty and wonder of nature.

This is an absolute must-do tour! My parents have lived in Alaska over 50 years and they've had many great adventures. When seasoned Alaskans like them declare the day to be one of their Alaskan-life highlights, you know this experience is a MUST.

2  Thank Alisa M
Reviewed July 15, 2016 via mobile

We drove to Whittier after reading about it I the travel guide. What a great stop. The Alaska sea kayak company was safety conscience and able to accommodate every level of experience in our group. We did a three hour tour with Jonathan who was as informative as he was patient.
We saw eagles and a rookery and some beautiful waterfalls. It was a wonderful day and wonderful experience.
Whittier too was a town that was so interesting and beautiful. So worth it and highly recommend it.

1  Thank Judy L
Reviewed July 8, 2016

This was an absolutely amazing experience. If the guides had some naturalist training and a little more attention to detail, it would have been even better, but I still recommend this company and this activity.

Details:
After reviewing many day-long glacier kayak options, the Blackstone Bay Tour by Alaska Sea Kayakers seemed like the best value when considering the experience. It's an interesting and scenic journey to get to Whittier to begin with, and the scenery (glaciers, wildlife, waterfalls) that we saw while kayaking was amazing. Lunch exceeded my expectations, and the group (since everyone's kayaks are filled with group supplies) carries extra water and snacks.

Pete, the guy who helped us with reservations, was extremely responsive, helpful, and accommodating. The girl he had helping in the office on the day we went was also really nice. The company provides all the outerwear you'll need, and had extra ziplocs and sunscreen, just in case.

Our guides were good, but could have been better. I can't remember their names--Natalie and Christina? One didn't seem to know much about the area/nature. She took a horrible path during the optional glacier hike and had us walking through snow (the kind of snow that has melted beneath the top layer so you end up breaking through it and hitting underlying rock, sometimes more than knee deep) and walking on steep paths, entirely off-trail. On the way back, she lost the way and we had to backtrack, at which point we also figured out we could have avoided tromping through the snow on a safer path. We made it back safely though, and it was worth the hike (one could also have opted to not go on the hike, so I accept my role in this). The other guide was decent, she seemed to know more and was the lead guide. Another improvement the guides could make is to make sure kayaks don't have ropes hanging in the water when they launch. Since most of us are novice kayakers, we didn't know and assumed the guides removed obstructions (you can't really see the ropes hanging off the front from inside the kayak), and the drag that was created made kayaking way harder than it needed to be.

Ultimately though, this was an awesome, unforgettable experience, and I still recommend it.

2  Thank PensantALaMer