“Excellent day of kayaking fun”

Alaska Sea Kayakers - Day Trips
Ranked #9 of 19 Tours in Whittier
More attraction details
Owner description: Day Kayak Trip
Reviewed July 15, 2016 via mobile

We drove to Whittier after reading about it I the travel guide. What a great stop. The Alaska sea kayak company was safety conscience and able to accommodate every level of experience in our group. We did a three hour tour with Jonathan who was as informative as he was patient.
We saw eagles and a rookery and some beautiful waterfalls. It was a wonderful day and wonderful experience.
Whittier too was a town that was so interesting and beautiful. So worth it and highly recommend it.

1  Thank Judy L
"few hours"
"paddle"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed July 8, 2016

This was an absolutely amazing experience. If the guides had some naturalist training and a little more attention to detail, it would have been even better, but I still recommend this company and this activity.

Details:
After reviewing many day-long glacier kayak options, the Blackstone Bay Tour by Alaska Sea Kayakers seemed like the best value when considering the experience. It's an interesting and scenic journey to get to Whittier to begin with, and the scenery (glaciers, wildlife, waterfalls) that we saw while kayaking was amazing. Lunch exceeded my expectations, and the group (since everyone's kayaks are filled with group supplies) carries extra water and snacks.

Pete, the guy who helped us with reservations, was extremely responsive, helpful, and accommodating. The girl he had helping in the office on the day we went was also really nice. The company provides all the outerwear you'll need, and had extra ziplocs and sunscreen, just in case.

Our guides were good, but could have been better. I can't remember their names--Natalie and Christina? One didn't seem to know much about the area/nature. She took a horrible path during the optional glacier hike and had us walking through snow (the kind of snow that has melted beneath the top layer so you end up breaking through it and hitting underlying rock, sometimes more than knee deep) and walking on steep paths, entirely off-trail. On the way back, she lost the way and we had to backtrack, at which point we also figured out we could have avoided tromping through the snow on a safer path. We made it back safely though, and it was worth the hike (one could also have opted to not go on the hike, so I accept my role in this). The other guide was decent, she seemed to know more and was the lead guide. Another improvement the guides could make is to make sure kayaks don't have ropes hanging in the water when they launch. Since most of us are novice kayakers, we didn't know and assumed the guides removed obstructions (you can't really see the ropes hanging off the front from inside the kayak), and the drag that was created made kayaking way harder than it needed to be.

Ultimately though, this was an awesome, unforgettable experience, and I still recommend it.

2  Thank PensantALaMer
Reviewed June 22, 2016 via mobile

Fantastic trip...well guided and enjoyable day... I've been in this state over 50 years and this was a day I'll talk up for some time to come...

2  Thank ADM33917
Reviewed June 17, 2016

We recently did the Blackstone Bay kayak trip and it was worth every penny. The company and our guide were professional, experienced and enthusiastic. The equipment was very nice quality and the lunch they served mid-day was more than sufficient. This trip was customer-oriented and we felt they were dedicated to making sure we had a fun and safe experience. The scenery was spectacular. If you are looking for an active day trip with a wow factor, this is it.

3  Thank Americantourist261
See more reviews
Reviewed January 18, 2016

We spent the day sea kayaking in Blackstone Bay , this and halibut fishing were the highlights of our trip and we would do both again in a heart beat. DO NOT let the price of this trip scare you off it is worth every penny and then some. My husband at first didn’t want to do this for 2 reason the price and he can not swim but once we started kayaking he was having a time of his life. The day we had was unusually warm and it didn’t rain, if it would have rained we would have stayed dry with the gear Pete and his team provided us. Before leaving the office Pete and his team made sure we all had the correct gear and it fit us correctly. There was Victoria our guide and one other couple with us and no one else to spoil natures beautiful scenery. We paddled within a ¼ of a mile of 2 glaciers and they happen to be calving, it was the coolest sound to hear the ice hitting the water without sharing it with a hundred people on one of those boat tours. We past one of the largest waterfalls I have ever saw it’s nothing you can image, I love waterfalls and have seen many, but this one will stay with me the rest of my life. Alaska Sea kayak provided a lunch that was outstanding and there was enough food to feed 10 or so people (remember I said early there was only 5 total in the group). Do not worry if you are not in great shape this is very easy paddling and by the time you’re done you can’t believe you just paddled 10 miles or so. We had time at the end to walk up close and touch a glacier while we were waiting for the boat to come and pick us up. If you have the time this is a must do for a day trip, you will not regret it I promise, we spent 15 days in Alaska and it was nice to go on a day trip that wasn’t packed with tourist.

3  Thank MNGirl123456