“Hot Room”

Best Western Lake Lucille Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Wasilla
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The room was 80 degrees at 1:00 AM upon my arrival. There was no aircondioner in the room. The window overlooked the parking lot with people coming and going, so if the drapes were opened to allow air ventilation, there was no privacy.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Since I was taking an evening flight out of Anchorage the next day, it was a good option to staying in the bigger city. The prices were less expensive and it was quieter. The breakfast had a good selection and it all had good taste. The front desk reception was busy, so friendliness was subdued, but efficient. The room was clean and quiet. Beware however; although there are just two floors, there are no elevators. Also, the rooms do not have air conditioning for the warmer summer days that one may experience. I definitely had to shed some clothing to be comfortable, however; opening the window and turning on the fan provided a level of comfort that evening and throughout the night. I believe it would have been more comfortable upon arrival, if the staff would have opened the windows before the guests arrived!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank NatParkTravelers
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This Best Western has a perfect location right on Lake Lucille with a large patio extending to the water's edge. The hotel room itself needs some sprucing up (at least a paint job and new firm mattresses). Breakfast was included but was nothing special. The staff was welcoming, friendly and made us feel at home. THe reception person gave us a couple of suggestions for dinner and we were very happy with the choice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nat1225
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We stayed here two nights in June. The staff was exceptional. They gave us a warm welcome and were truly interested in making sure our stay was good. Our second floor balcony room had a great view of the lake and mountains beyond. Breakfast was average, but the view from the dining room made up for any shortfalls. Thank you to the front desk receptionist who made an excellent cup of Earl Grey. The hotel is older and could use some renovations, but what they offer is adequate and did not distract from our stay. There are a couple of restaurants in town to choose from but it is a small area so not a lot of choices. We did order pizza from Piccolino's and had it delivered to the hotel. Good choice. We sat on the deck outside the bar with a couple of beers and enjoyed the daylight at 10pm. To the man who complained about the heat...the hotel had no control over the weather, and they were just as surprised as you about the extreme temperature. Not many hotels in Alaska have air conditioning. Relax and enjoy the view.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor, waterfront room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I first stayed here in 1994. Not much has changed. Rooms have flat screen TV and basic modernization. Staff were not wearing uniforms and seemed a bit casual. Great having the lake at the rear of the hotel. Peaceful stay

Room Tip: Save the cost of the lake view
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BrisbaneNewDad
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed during a business trip, and I had no wheels since I was dropped off for the night by a co-worker who lives in Wasilla and was to pick me up the next morning. I inquired at check-in about a restaurant on the property and was informed the restaurant was not in operation. Closest restaurants about a mile away. I was told that many of Wasilla's good restaurants delivered food, but I was not in the mood for eating at the hotel. So I walked about a mile each way along a busy highway to get food.

It was hot in my room. Approaching 80 degrees. I turn the thermostat down but nothing happens. When I went to the desk to ask how to work the air conditioner I was informed that there was no air conditioning but that I could open the window and position the fan that was in the room to blow cooler air in. No window screens and the mosquitoes were out for their evening fly about. Let's see...choose between hot room / no sleep and being bug bitten. I asked the woman at the front desk whether I could move to a lake-facing room so as to be able to have the lake breeze flowing in for cooling effect. I was told that I would have to pay more for a lake front room. Now, $159 in Alaska in the summer isn't the most expensive room out there, but it is still $159. I would think that a hotel that appeared to be at a 10% occupancy rate (if that) would make the concession of moving me to a room that I am able to sleep comfortably in.

Hotel was not a dump but was not overly clean either. Dust in the corners and at the base of furniture. There are not a lot of choices for lodging in Wasilla, so this might be many people's only choice. Good luck.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Hayden35477
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We were in Wasilla to enjoy a grandson's high school graduation. The other visiting grandparents stayed there as well. This is the nicest place to stay in Wasilla. We have stayed at the other nice place too!

The room was adequate with all the usual things. We could not be on the water side because the hotel was expecting to be full the next night and we would have to move since we were staying 3 nights. It was quiet, the bed comfortable and we did have a little fridge in the room. It would have been nice to have real coffee cups and glasses rather than the disposable ones. The rest of the hotel is decorated and works at being upscale with artwork and Alaskana...the real glasses & cups would have carried this message to the rooms rather than only the common areas. (Something to consider)

The breakfast was outstanding! We missed the time one morning and Rose made it all available to us after her usual shut-down. The eggs, gravy, biscuits and sausage was more than we expected. It is clear that she works at making it look nice and keeps things stocked.

The front desk folks were friendly and helpful with information about Wasilla. There was an unexpected snow event and they lent us a brush to clean the car.

This is the best place to stay in Wasilla, Alaska.

Room Tip: If you expect to spend any time in the room, make sure to get the water side on the second level.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mgreany
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wasilla
Alaska's Select Inn Hotel
Alaska Garden Gate B & B
Agate Inn, Inc.
Agate Inn, Inc.
#3 of 25 in Wasilla

Been to Best Western Lake Lucille Inn? Share your experiences!