“Disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Wasilla
Hayden, Idaho
“Disappointed”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Stayed during a business trip, and I had no wheels since I was dropped off for the night by a co-worker who lives in Wasilla and was to pick me up the next morning. I inquired at check-in about a restaurant on the property and was informed the restaurant was not in operation. Closest restaurants about a mile away. I was told that many of Wasilla's good restaurants delivered food, but I was not in the mood for eating at the hotel. So I walked about a mile each way along a busy highway to get food.

It was hot in my room. Approaching 80 degrees. I turn the thermostat down but nothing happens. When I went to the desk to ask how to work the air conditioner I was informed that there was no air conditioning but that I could open the window and position the fan that was in the room to blow cooler air in. No window screens and the mosquitoes were out for their evening fly about. Let's see...choose between hot room / no sleep and being bug bitten. I asked the woman at the front desk whether I could move to a lake-facing room so as to be able to have the lake breeze flowing in for cooling effect. I was told that I would have to pay more for a lake front room. Now, $159 in Alaska in the summer isn't the most expensive room out there, but it is still $159. I would think that a hotel that appeared to be at a 10% occupancy rate (if that) would make the concession of moving me to a room that I am able to sleep comfortably in.

Hotel was not a dump but was not overly clean either. Dust in the corners and at the base of furniture. There are not a lot of choices for lodging in Wasilla, so this might be many people's only choice. Good luck.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Hayden35477

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We were in Wasilla to enjoy a grandson's high school graduation. The other visiting grandparents stayed there as well. This is the nicest place to stay in Wasilla. We have stayed at the other nice place too!

The room was adequate with all the usual things. We could not be on the water side because the hotel was expecting to be full the next night and we would have to move since we were staying 3 nights. It was quiet, the bed comfortable and we did have a little fridge in the room. It would have been nice to have real coffee cups and glasses rather than the disposable ones. The rest of the hotel is decorated and works at being upscale with artwork and Alaskana...the real glasses & cups would have carried this message to the rooms rather than only the common areas. (Something to consider)

The breakfast was outstanding! We missed the time one morning and Rose made it all available to us after her usual shut-down. The eggs, gravy, biscuits and sausage was more than we expected. It is clear that she works at making it look nice and keeps things stocked.

The front desk folks were friendly and helpful with information about Wasilla. There was an unexpected snow event and they lent us a brush to clean the car.

This is the best place to stay in Wasilla, Alaska.

Room Tip: If you expect to spend any time in the room, make sure to get the water side on the second level.
3 Thank Mgreany
Shreveport, LA
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We had a suite, lake view, end room May 16. We thought our room was great. Living area, bedroom - both with walk out balconies and wonderful view of the lake. Very large modern bathroom. Micro, fridge and Jacuzzi. Very well kept property. We were a little leery driving down the block to the hotel as the block started poorly (can't remember what but large equipment / dumpy) and were very surprised to find such a nice hotel / view (as long as you get lakeside and not front). Ended up with a peaceful setting that did not feel like city but more like resort. Staff very pleasant and no problems.

Room Tip: Ask for lakeside view. Very private feel on that side. Would not want to be on front side of hotel...
2 Thank KKFShreveport_LA
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Stayed one night following a business meeting in Anchorage. The location is fine, on the lake and off the highway but still centrally located in Wasilla. Rooms are adequately sized, a bit dated. Fairly attractive lobby area, decent work out area. Both wi-fi and the continental breakfast are complementary and the breakfast was above average especially for a BW.

Bed was comfortable enough. HVAC worked fine.

TV channel was oddly limited, with no premium channel, little quality choices, but quite bit infomercial or cable news.

The lake location is nice, while the direct neighborhood is not so nice, but that seems true for most of Wasilla.

The chief complaint arose from the hotel's overly permissive smoking policy. Lake view rooms have a balcony, used by some guests as a smoking area, leading to ambient smoke and noise. The day was warm so we wanted to open our balcony door but could not. Front desk staff made a token effort to get the guests to stop smoking. We asked for a room change and were offered the room next door to the laundry, which was quite loud.

At least we got to know our neighbors, learn about their parole officer, and were brought up to speed related to Gretchen's incarceration.

Room Tip: Pay more for the lake view. Avoid the laundry room area.
3 Thank BGTom
Wasilla, Alaska
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Even with an entire hotel full of kids and two weddings, the hotel was very quiet and relaxing. You could not tell there was a building full of kids there. I highly recommend the location for its views and service.

• Stayed May 2013
Reviewed April 17, 2013

My gripes are that the clerk double charged my card and the clerk and manager argued that my card was in error even after I had my financial institution call the manager and tell her. The front office area is messy, books on shelves messy indicating to me the manager is sloppy. When my card holder has to call about double charges and they get told they are in error I really question the management!!!

Make your reservation and pay online, it will save you money and trouble.

The food was very good and so was the staff working breakfast.

The pipes in the room were so noisy my 5yo grandson got scared of the tub and would not enjoy tub time or be alone in the bathroom. We did hear people coming and going that interrupted our sleep. We were woke up by an alarm in the next room that went on and on until I called the front desk.

Laundry facility is very good and reasonable.

The facility was generally clean and nice, great housekeeping staff.

The internet worked fine.

If there was a nicer hotel in town I would stay there, but there were none.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank Kristie P
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

The "fresh" extra pillow and blanket were dirty, there was melted ice from the previous guest in our ice bucket, all the towels are dingy, the pull out was so uncomfortable my kids wanted to sleep on the floor, the back outside door doesn't lock so I had serious security concerns, and the front desk staff acted as though asking for a couple extra towels and 2 glass glasses (which they wouldn't provide) was a HUGE imposition. I've stayed here several times, bit it seems as though the room cleanliness gets worse every time. the view is beautiful though, and you can't beat a full size (nearly) Jacuzzi in your room..... If you believe its been cleaned...

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank ak_sarah_style
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wasilla
Alaska's Select Inn Hotel
Agate Inn, Inc.
#3 of 25 in Wasilla
Alaska Garden Gate B & B
Pioneer Ridge Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Best Western Lake Lucille Inn? Share your experiences!