“Surprisingly Cozy”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Wasilla
Nixa, MO
“Surprisingly Cozy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

From the outside this place doesn't look like much. And there are opportunities for improvement. But given the cost we paid we were very satisfied. We're a family of 5 and the size of the suites and the sleeping options in the rooms was a nice change from the more cramped traditional hotel rooms. Free Wi-Fi, HD TV, and full kitchen were nice and the rooms were clean with plenty of parking. 120v outlets were available at all parking spots too.

On the down side. The rooms were too warm (in summer, but outside temps in the 60s) and even with windows open stayed too warm. One of our kitchen cabinet doors was missing. There were too few dishes and silverware and it was all mismatched so we had to take turns eating/drinking. There were some stains in the hallway carpet that really should be taken care of as well. Again, mostly little things, but if those were fixed this probably would have been a 5 star review given how comfortable, large and inexpensive it was.

Room Tip: Kids playing in the streets at night were a bit loud, ask for the Bogard side if you can.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Efusco

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Wasilla, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

We just stayed here for 2 nights last week with our 3 and 1 year old boys. While I am sure that the other guests did not enjoy us being there (due to our loud children), we really enjoyed it! The whole building used to be an apartment complex. We got the "suite" which has a separate bedroom and then another bed in the main area with a small kitchen. It was great to have a separate room to put kids to bed/nap and still have a spot to hang out. The kitchen was stocked with basic items. It was nice to have a place to fix some food. The rooms were clean and the management great. We've also stayed at the Best Western in town, which is nice as well, but for a family with children, this is a better bet.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Hotel is only 10 years old and very quiet. Rooms a little small but has kitchen in every room. Just a basic hotel without pool, fitness room, etc. Only 45 minutes north of Anchorage and a few hours south of Denali. Wasilla is home to Iditarod headquarters and museum. Rates lower than Anchorage hotels. In residential area so need to walk or drive to restaurants.

Room Tip: Our room was on the second floor so very quiet.
Valdosta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

My wife asked me several times how did I find this cozy hotel. It had a small kitchenette and was very clean. Lady attendant was helpful with our questions. Only problem at all is the little bit of road noise. I would definitly stay here again and probalby longer if back in the area

1 Thank rrgeorgia
Lakeland, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

This is one of the best, if not best hotel I have stayed at. It is away from downtown so that you don't have to deal with traffic but close enough to get to Walmart or Fred Myers within 5-10 mins. The staff were very accommodating with anything I asked them. The price was great to have a very large room with a king size bed plus a kitchen with a full size fridge. We had 3 large closets that was more than enough of room for our things. The water in the shower would get more than enough hot. Our floors were steamed while were there keep it fresh. I would recommend this place to anyone and hopefully I will be going back there soon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cordova, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

If you are looking for a clean place with big rooms and a kitchen in Wasilla this should be your stop.
We booked a room with a king bed and a sleeper sofa but what we got was a two room suite with a king bed in one room and a full bed in the living/kitchen room. There was also a love seat and a computer desk with chair. The TV is a nice flat screen and you get about 100 cable channels.
The kitchen comes fully stocked with dishes, pans, glasses, and silverware. The refrigerator was full sized and there was a small range with oven!
It is on a quiet street outside of town. We had no problem with any noisy guests. The staff were very nice and did a good job at keeping our room fresh and clean. They even had the hall carpets steam cleaned while we were there.
My only complaint is that the room heat was on most of the time and there is no thermostat to control the heat, so we just opened the windows. Problem solved.
A word of caution, this is not a full service hotel. It does not have a lobby, front desk, or any other hotel services. So don't expect that. What it does have are very nice rooms at a fraction of the cost most other hotels in Alaska charge. If you need a place in Wasilla, especially for an extended stay, check this place out.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

This hotel is awesome. So awesome that if I could find a way to move the building, I'd take it with me. I hate when other hotels are junk for this price. The rooms are HUGE, I have 4 closets! 4 full size sliding mirror closets. Kitchen is well stocked, stovetop, microwave, frig, sink. But here's the kicker, an oven. No Extended Stay, Suburban, Mainstay, or Marriot cottage that I've ever seen has an oven. I can finally cook some frozen pizza's the right way.

The TV is great, large flat panel with cable box. GCI cable with TONS of channels including the on screen guide. I love the on screen guides as an out of towner because I never can tell what's on just by a paper list. Good call!

It has WiFi, unlike another rater. But it's ethostream. It works, but I'm sure you road warriors know all about Ethostream...yuck.

The bathrooms are clean, oh so clean. I couldn't find traces of hair or other nasty things. Curved shower rods. Sink is decent enough to open my ditty bag up on the counter.

The walls are a tad thin, but I sleep heavy so no worries for me. Not too many rooms so not a lot of neighbor noise. The doors to get in are keypad coded for security and its great.

All in all, great hotel. I would recommend it, and I'd stay here again. Too bad I have to check out.

Room Tip: NO onsite staff after hours, be early to check in or call ahead.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank redneckITengineer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wasilla
BEST WESTERN Lake Lucille Inn
Agate Inn, Inc.
#3 of 24 in Wasilla
Pioneer Ridge Bed and Breakfast Inn
Alaska Garden Gate B & B

Been to Alaska's Select Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!