“RUDE Desk Clerk/ HORRIBLE Hospitality”

Grand View Inn and Suites
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Wasilla
Wasilla, Alaska
“RUDE Desk Clerk/ HORRIBLE Hospitality”
Reviewed February 5, 2009

I live in Alaska and was hoping to recommend this hotel for my family and people visiting for the Iditarod (we are a sponsor of the Iditarod Race). However after visiting the Grand View Inn and Suites today I would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone. First, the reservations clerk (a young girl probably in her twenties) was extraordinarily rude (I guess she forgot she works in the HOSPITALITY business). Also, the pool was broken and she gave an open ended "several weeks" as an answer as to when it would be fixed. They also can't guarantee a room w/ a view (according to the clerk) and the suites are reserved for those staying at least 6 days or more. You'd think that with today's economy and the fact that they are indeed a hotel and supposed to be "hospitable" that they would at least hire friendly staff that treat their guests with some shred of friendliness. Most Alaskans are friendly but BEWARE of this hotel! They do NOT represent the true spirit of Alaska.

• Liked — Easy Access to Freeway
  • Disliked — Horrible Staff/ VERY Unfriendly and rude
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
5 Thank AlaskaReviewer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Alaska
Reviewed December 17, 2008

I have been awake since 3am because the heater was making a nonstop clicking noise. It's 4:17am now and I couldn't go back to sleep if I wanted to because I can hear the people in the room next to us talking. We got a suite but it's nothing more than a basic motel room with a spa that was dirty and takes an hour to fill. We have a AAA membership but didn't get our discount because we are staying in a suite. And the toilet is backed up. We are leaving today and never staying here again!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank montanacm

Travelers are raving about these Wasilla hotels

Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed October 30, 2008

We chose this property because we were traveling with our dog and they are pet friendly. It is $10 extra a night with a $50 deposit. Pretty reasonable. You have to stay in a smoking room if you have a pet so I won't say how NOXIOUS the room smelled. We were warned and that was fair. But it was REALLY bad.

The good stuff first: Nothing was stolen out of my room. I didn't get bed bug bites. The roof didn't cave in. I'm pretty sure I didn't get athletes foot. The bar is cute, friendly and smoke free. There is a Chili's right next door.

The other stuff: The front desk clerk was completely disinterested in us. Whatever. I didn't really care about that. I was handed our room keys in a dirty, stained, torn up, old paper envelope. Was that a wine stain? Coffee? Something more sinister? Whatever. As it turns out I didn't really need the keys as the door was swinging wide open as I approached. After searching the room for ax murderers, the first thing I noticed was the icky-poo bed spread. What nasty things have gone on in this room? I'm sure the bedspread could tell some stories. I immediately stripped it off the bed. Seriously, I've seen bed spreads in better shape at the Salvation Army. I'm not joking. Cleaner too.

With the bedspread gone that left one teensy problem. There were no other blankets. Scratchy, wrinkled sheets? Yes! Blankets? None. Nada. Nothing. Mind you this is winter in Alaska - it was about 10 degrees with howling wind when I checked in. I called the aforementioned disinterested desk clerk and mentioned that I would need a couple of blankets. He told me that hosuekeeping was gone for the day but "maybe" he could "scrounge" something up for us. Yep, I totally want a "scrounged" blanket. I'm pretty sure that my bed spread was already "scrounged".

OK - bedtime. This is my favorite part! I finally get my blankets, deal with the scratchy sheets and the crackling of the plastic cover on the mattress (did I mention that before? Were they afraid I was going to wet the bed?) and lie down, exhausted, in the very uncomfortable bed. Then I see it. It is DIRECTLY above my head. I can't quite make it out. Is it a booger? Is it a bug? Is it still alive? I've convinced myself that it is definately a booger (I had taken my contacts out). My husband goes in for a closer look and NO! it is a mosquito! For crying out loud! It's nearly freaking Halloween! How long has that thing been smeared all over the ceiling!?!?! I think I saw my last mosquito in mid August. UCK. I was creeped out and afraid that it would fall on me. Not a restful night's sleep.

In the morning I was dumb enough to walk on the floor barefooted and came across something crunchy and glue-like on the carpet. I didn't investigate. Our little friend was still securely mashed to the ceiling and I didn't need to make any more discoveries. The pull out sofa was so gross. Just look at the pictures I have posted.

The walls were paper thin and I'm pretty sure the traveling circus of 12 year old acrobats above us weren't being loud on purpose.

The bathroom was OK - the linolium (sp?) was coming up in the corners. The toilet paper was akin to the three hole-punched, college-ruled paper that I remember from high school. There was plenty of hot water. The major problem was the showerhead. It came out in aquaNEEDLES. It actually hurt my skin.

The "Grand View" that we were given had some beautiful mountains in the background but look at the picture of what is immediately off the parking lot.

We went down to the bar where there is some really BAD karoke but a very nice friendly staff and local crowd. There was no smoking in the bar and the prices were reasonable. We didn't eat so I can't comment on the food.

My personal opinion is that for a property as new as this one to be in such bad shape is that all of the Iditarod mushers and traveling hockey teams must stay here. This combined with the obviously poor operations and management teams have created this germ-infested, run-down shanty of a hotel/motel.

• Liked — They let my dog stay
  • Disliked — Um..It's a toss up between the lack of blankets and the squished ceiling bug.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
10 Thank alaskamel
Anchorage
Reviewed July 24, 2008

As an Anchorage resident I have stayed in this hotel on 4 different occassions. The first was just after they opened and it was FABULOUS!!! The second time was sketchy as it was obvious that housekeeping and customer service was no longer the same quality and the room was beginning to show wear and tear. The third time, the next year was a disaster. Local floods forced them to cancel our reservation so residents displaced could be accomodated. They never called to advise us of that and after MUCH debate they grudgingly gave us a room at the "reserved" rate. As this was a bigger room they were very ungracious about it. The room was dirty, sticky and smelly. The mattresses are horrific and the sheets were stained and torn. The staff was not accomodating or friendly and there was obviously some unfriendliness between staff members. This last stay was the 3rd strike. Deterioration of the property is evident at every turn. Housekeeping is almost non existent in the room and nothing that I could see shows they are trying to improve. Try the Lake Lucille. This property is only appropriate for grubby fishermen and hunters looking for a shower and bed for one night. Families and couples will not be happy here.

• Liked — The location is great. Very few options in Wasilla
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
7 Thank BethanyAK
Newcastle, WA
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We stayed at the Grand View Inn & Suites for 4 days. First off all I will list the positive aspects of this hotel. We were given a room on the 3rd floor with a beautiful view. The shower pressure was great and the rooms come with a refrigerator and microwave. Chili's Restaurant just opened near the hotel and it is a very short walk from the hotel. Basically it’s adjacent to the hotel’s parking lot. There is also a restaurant located in the hotel but it was closed most of the time we were there during this 4th of July visit.
Now for the negative……as you have probably read from other reviews the customer service staff is awful! We only ran into one person that was professional and he works the late night shift. All of the women that assisted us were definitely more interested in reading their books than helping customers. As for the rooms; the first thing I noticed was the rings in the toilet and I found some hair in the shower! I travel with a can of Lysol and sprayed everything down before we touched anything so I felt a little better after I did this! The beds are uncomfortable and small. I think the bed in our room was a full size bed. Most hotels will give you at least 4 pillows and even throw extras in a closet…..not this place. You get two cheap hard pillows and that’s it! They skimp on the towels and toiletries. I’m surprised they supply patrons with blow dryers. For all of you that think the free high speed internet is a big plus….think again! We had a hard time getting a signal and when we did access the internet it was extremely slow!
Overall I found this place to be disappointing and I would never stay here again. Unfortunately Wasilla is a very small city and there are not many decent hotels/hotels to choose from. Next time we visit, I am hoping that a hotel chain such as Holiday Inn Express or something comparable will be built. The area appears to be growing and we saw new stores in construction…..hopefully decent hotels will follow. If you are picky about your accommodations I would suggest booking a hotel in Anchorage. Unfortunately we were visiting family in the Wasilla/Palmer area so this was not an option for us!

p.s. I just noticed the photos that Expedia has of this hotel. Believe me the rooms shown in these photos do not look remotely close to the room we stayed in. Don’t be deceived…..book elsewhere!

• Liked — Refrigerator/Microwave/High Shower Pressure
  • Disliked — Customer Service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
6 Thank BarkingFrog
Alaska
Reviewed July 1, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for the second time this summer (our first time, which was also reviewed, was in the fall) and I have to say that I was not as impressed the second time around. Our beds were so uncomfortable we barely slept at all! Also, I would have loved to get a room with a king bed (if they have them), but we had a queen instead. I don't understand why they didn't put king beds in the rooms instead, since the rooms are definitley big enough to accomdate a larger bed. Staff, once again, wasn't too friendly and the pool had been closed "until further notice." We didn't have an issue with noise, but it didn't really matter, since the beds were so dang lousy!

One great plus though...there is a huge brand new Wal-Mart supercenter practically next door and a new Chili's (that shares a parkling lot with the GrandView) that just opened last week. Yum!

• Liked — Very close to a brand new Chili's and Wal-Mart Supercenter
  • Disliked — The beds!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank smith717
yorkshire
Reviewed June 1, 2008

A recently built hotel not very attractive to look at but has large rooms and bathrooms, big tv and internet access via wall connection. The back rooms have good mountain views.

On the down side you cannot get breakfast in the restaurant, it is closed for dinner on Sundays, the car park is a mess but in course improvement. The check in desk is not welcoming. There was a lot of noise from within the hotel until the early hours, admittedly on Saturday night.

The out of season price I paid of $125 was reasonable value but I would not stay again.

• Liked — new modern room,lounge and reataurent good when open,internet
  • Disliked — poor car park, reception,noise from guests,
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wasilla
Best Western Lake Lucille Inn
Agate Inn, Inc.
#3 of 25 in Wasilla
Alaska's Lake Lucille Bed & Breakfast
Alaska Garden Gate B & B

Been to Grand View Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!