“Worn out everything! Avoid this hotel”

Grand View Inn and Suites
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Wasilla
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Sheets grey, dirty looking and so threadbare if you turned over in bed they would rip! The bed was sqeeky and hard I could hardly sleep. They had towels so thin you can see light thru them and you only get two little ones! Lumpy disgusting pillows! If we hadn't been so tired and arrived so late we would have gone elsewhere. This hotel is very overpriced ($149) for the abysmal quality with no breakfast to boot!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Rebecca R

Reviewed July 4, 2012

I stayed on the third floor for five nights during a summer conference. The room was clean and large, but I only got about 5 channels on my television, not that I am in AK to watch tv, but I would turn it on for background noise. The wifi was supposed to be available only in the lobby, so that is where I sat until the wee hours updating my blog for three nights, until I found out that I did indeed get it in by room! On Fridays and Saturdays it is very loud from the bar/restaurant because of karaoke, so I would be very mad if I were on the 1st floor. Because I was with a group, I got an awesome rate, but a negative is that they have no breakfast. I heard no noise from the hotel on my floor.

Room Tip: Stay on the third floor for quiet rooms, and possible wifi.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Okay, I live in Alaska and I know how the seasons go. June, July, August, Winter. And I know that prices triple in the summer. I ALSO (foolishly, I suppose) expect to get what I pay for, if indeed I have to go from paying below $100 and then way above. With no amenities, such as pool or even a Pop Tart in the morning, I would like to have had more than one cheesecloth towel per person. The pillows looked like they had been on my grandmother's sofa for 50 years and my bunk at boot camp was more comfortable. We could also hear the conversations of everyone on our floor. Want water? The small convenience store in the lobby will be happy to sell you some for about 6 bucks. However, there is a Wal-Mart and Target close by, so we stopped there first. We had a "grand view" of the parking lot. I suppose it will suffice if you HAVE to be in Wasilla, but and are headed to Denali, but you can get the same thing at the hotel next door and a lot cheaper.

Room Tip: Try for a corner room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Not the best hotel but it is the best we could find in Wasilla. Low 2 star hotel for a 4 star price. Old beds and bedding. Paper thin walls! Prepare the hear everything in the room next door!
Hotel desk clerk was nice and moved us to a room with no one next door. We did get some sleep after that.

Room Tip: If you want a nice place drive 45 more min to Anchorage.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 19, 2012

From the website we thought that this hotel was going to be great...in a great location and well kept. Upon arriving at the hotel we realized we were sadly mistaken. It was right off the highway, which was noisy as the rooms were not sound proof at all. We had our dog with us and so were put in a pet room which was filthy. It had a foul odor and the coffee table was chewed up. The TV remote didn't work, we didn't have a garbage can bigger than a tiny bathroom one. All of these things we might have been able to deal with, but we have a 5 month old baby and I wouldn't have felt comfortable letting her play on any floor surface in the room. The shower drain was clogged, and the bathroom floor looked like it hadn't been mopped in awhile. The front desk service was a little nonchalant about our requests for any items, and didn't go out of there way to make the stay a little more enjoyable. While my husband was walking the dog in the parking lot he found two drug needles laying out there, which for us was the last straw. Upon checking out early the hotel charged us an exorbitant amount....over $800 for 3 nights, which would have been less had we found somewhere else to stay sooner. I do not recommend this hotel to ANYONE...

Room Tip: Don't stay in a pet room even if you have a pet because they charge the same pet fee for a non p...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Tasha P
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We have stayed at the Grandview on 3 seperate trips to Alaska. The first time is was wonderful, good service, clean rooms, and well kept up. Many unique and beautiful touches from the gorgeous stone fireplace to the hall lights with unique individual etchings of Alaska sights on them, to the marvellous view of the mountain range to the back of the hotel. The only negative was the pool was closed due to damage. 2 years later the pool was still closed "due to damage" and sadly things had slipped. The hotel was dirty, customer service non existent. Our last stay was the worst and we won't go back, many items in the rooms didn't work from lamps to TV's, took several days and numerous complaints for the many burnt out light bulbs in the hall to be replaced. Sad to see what was once a lovely property in such sad shape and with no one interested in making things any better from front desk to maintenance to obviousely management. Won't be back.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Tanya M
Reviewed April 30, 2012

As the first point of contact at a hotel, the Front Desk personnel should be congenial and welcoming. That's definitely NOT the case here. We had an American Legion Convention nearby this past weekend with dignitaries from all over the country (Florida, Minnesota, Indiana and New York) in attendance. The dignitaries were put up at the Grand View but the customer service there was horrendous. I will never frequent this hotel, nor recommend it ever! The rooms are not cleaned each day (unless you request it) but the out-of-state visitors were not informed of this upon check-in. When they called down to inquire as to when housekeeping would be by, they were told they wouldn't be getting their room cleaned as they didn't request it. So when asked if clean towels could be provided, the front desk person answered that the guests would have to come down and get them themselves. When the visitors went down there to get towels and request their room to be cleaned, the answer was, "What do you want me to do about it?" Nice, huh? How embarassing!

Room Tip: GO ELSEWHERE unless you like to be treated like trash!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ConcernedinAlaska
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wasilla
Best Western Lake Lucille Inn
Alaska's Select Inn Hotel
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Eagle River/Anchorage Are
Alaska Garden Gate B & B
Pioneer Motel
Pioneer Motel
#1 of 3 in Palmer
Pioneer Ridge Bed and Breakfast Inn

Been to Grand View Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!