“FRONT DESK NEEDS TRAINING IN CUSTOMER SERVICE”

Grand View Inn and Suites
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Wasilla
Reviewed April 30, 2012

As the first point of contact at a hotel, the Front Desk personnel should be congenial and welcoming. That's definitely NOT the case here. We had an American Legion Convention nearby this past weekend with dignitaries from all over the country (Florida, Minnesota, Indiana and New York) in attendance. The dignitaries were put up at the Grand View but the customer service there was horrendous. I will never frequent this hotel, nor recommend it ever! The rooms are not cleaned each day (unless you request it) but the out-of-state visitors were not informed of this upon check-in. When they called down to inquire as to when housekeeping would be by, they were told they wouldn't be getting their room cleaned as they didn't request it. So when asked if clean towels could be provided, the front desk person answered that the guests would have to come down and get them themselves. When the visitors went down there to get towels and request their room to be cleaned, the answer was, "What do you want me to do about it?" Nice, huh? How embarassing!

Room Tip: GO ELSEWHERE unless you like to be treated like trash!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ConcernedinAlaska

Reviewed April 14, 2012

I was placed right above the bar and the music was so loud and base so loud the cabinets in my room were viberating. The person at the front desk told me " its better than it was last night " and "I would move you but the other room is worst". If you know how bad it is why rent these rooms at all!

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Clean, quiet room. Nice people. It was the winter season so not too busy, close to good places to eat. There is a bar downstairs, but it was fairly quiet. It was better than expected after reading the previous revews.

Room Tip: no wireless internet except the lobby, you can catch it if your room is close to the lobby
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We read the reviews and were nervous. Turns out, everything was just fine. The only complaint was flat pillows. Don't be scared; book a room.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Tiki L
Reviewed December 1, 2011

The beds are super hard, the cleaning person only comes once a week, and you have to take out your own trash to a dumpster located in the back of the building! Granted we stayed in the extended stay portion, you'd think we'd get better service since we're forking out $600 a week. There are no lamps in the bedroom and the laundry room was so stink of mold and mildew...on top of all that, they didn't even have a quarter machine in it, you had to go all the way to the main hotel building to get change. Also, the pool was out of order the whole 2 weeks we were there. This hotel sucks big time. Also, the restaurant staff had the absolute worst attitudes!! They cooked my steak well-done (I ordered medium rare) and they wouldn't make me a new one or refund my money. They used profanity and were just plain unprofessional. Please! Do not support places like this! You'll regret staying here and wasting your money.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Jnl2211
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I can't recommend it but if you just need a basic room and they can give you one well away from the bar area, it won't kill you. I took a large group there. Setting up our stay with Aaron was handled very well so I was hopeful despite the reviews. I had set it up that guests were pre-registered and we'd paid in advance so guests could walk up and just pick-up their keys as they arrived by van. On arrival we were astonished when the desk clerk wanted each guest to sign a form saying they wouldn't smoke, cook in their rooms or steal the screens. Then, a month after we got back home, we got another bill for the rooms we'd paid for 2 months earlier. I had to make several calls to make sure our bill had been paid and found that it had. So, I called the hotel; they said, "oh yes, they found the error the day before and they were going to let us know." (not sure when they planned to do that!)
I said "touches" of humanity. We had a very difficult time organizing meals there because we needed a super early departure. But when we did finally get a breakfast plan in place they did a great job of getting it out on time and our folks were really happy with it. I went in to pay the bill. The caterer noticed I wasn't stopping for breakfast and offered to make mine "to go." That was an unexpected kindness.

Room Tip: insist on a room well away from the Bar unless you are one of patrons. Don't lock yourself into...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I made the mistake...I read the reviews and then thought -"oh well it's just a few days.." OMG IT was horrible. The room was grungy...I put up with that. The noise from the bar kept me awake until 1 AM ..I put up with that.... the fridge that froze all my fruit... I put up with that...the towels were grey and stained... I put up with that....the carpet needed a good shampooing...yup I put up with that.....the noise from all the visiting high school students for their volleyl/basket ball games...doors slamming,running down the hall....I put up with that.... the the pool was broken...again... I put up with that... and then I asked if I could check out 2 hours late... OMG -you would think I asked for the moon...the desk clerk said no. I asked to speak to the the manager- Sandy - after waiting 5 mins for her to get off the phone (talking to a friend...laughing) - she told me that I had to pay an extra day because the cleaning staff go home at noon. I said, but the hotel is vertually empty (11-14-11) - No she said - and got really, really rude. i said - "how dare you talk to me like that"...and she got worse..I asked, "where is your customer service?" She walked away. I'd had it.... I went to my room - ran into the cleaning person and I asked her - "when do you leave?"...and she said -"oh it's different every day...yesterday I left at 6 PM.... there are 5 of us....so this SANDY LIED!!!) I packed and came back and gave the desk person (of course the SANDY was no where to be seen) my litany of complaints...and you know what he said repeatedly? "Thank you. Thank you, Thank you." UMMMM has this happened many times before? YUP. Their attitude is - we are here for you to give us your money - and how dare you expect customer service. So to recap: the room was hardly cleaned and yet the cleaning people had to leave on time so I could stay 2 hours longer.... Stay somewhere else.... do not stay here. Its really, really bad. The rooms are dingy...bare bones, food is crappy in the bar...noise is an issue and the customer service... I repeat non existent.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank detleffish
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wasilla
Best Western Lake Lucille Inn
Alaska's Select Inn Hotel
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Eagle River/Anchorage Are
Pioneer Motel
Pioneer Motel
#1 of 3 in Palmer
Pioneer Ridge Bed and Breakfast Inn
Alaska Garden Gate B & B

Been to Grand View Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!