“Great food and friendly wait staff!”

Locals Pub and Pizzeria
Ranked #12 of 129 Restaurants in Wasilla
Cuisines: Bar, Pizza, American, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Kids, Families with children
Orlando, Florida
“Great food and friendly wait staff!”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

This restaurant is right next to the Grandview Inn, so rather than take the car out, we walked over for a pizza. It turned out to be a great meal. And Sandy, our waitress, was not only friendly and efficient, but she gave us some great tips about sites to see in the area. We ate early, and by the time we left, the place was full, so I suspect that it is a favorite of the locals, as well.

Visited June 2014

“AMAZING wings!”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Their pizza is very good, but their wings are much better. My husband is a wing-snob and he was very impressed with them. The service was very good as well.The only thing I don't like about Locals is their location, it's a bit difficult to get back on the highway as you have to cross at least 2 lanes of always fairly busy road.

• Visited June 2014
“Excellent Pizza”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Excellent Pizza possible the best in town & they are piled high with ingredients. Bring you empty stomach & fill it up....

Visited May 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Interesting Pizza Choices”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Locals offers a good variety of specialty pizzas. With different sauces and some interesting toppings, there is the opportunity to try something beyond traditional pizza. The food was good while the service was spotty. A large group of bikers came in and took our wait staff's complete attention. Although it was not a huge problem, it showed a lack of attention to all the customers.

Visited July 2014
Anchorage, Alaska
“One of two places in Wasilla with lots of micro-brews”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

If you want to enjoy Alaska beers, Locals and Last Frontier are the two places that I know of in Wasilla with a good selection of good quality local beers. I recommend both. Locals features on tap several beers each by six or seven Alaska breweries, including Silver Gulch, Denali, Alaska, and Midnight Sun. Of the two, Locals is easier to spot for visitors passing through, on the west side of the Parks Hwy, next to Grand View Motel, which, I believe, owns it. (LF is itself a brewery and features its own good beers.)

I had bypassed the restaurant for several years because it looks so generic (it used to be a name brand restaurant) but it was recommended by a local friend and erstwhile chef (elsewhere) for its beer, meatball sandwiches on fresh bread, and its off-the-beaten -path pizzas, which she reports to be wood fired.

My husband and I stopped by mid-afternoon, to while away some time in the rain.

The first thing I liked about it was the variety of local photographs, historic and contemporary, and other signs and paraphernalia to fit the "locals" theme. My husband loved that the restaurant had free and fast WiFI. Service - both the first visit and the food and drink delivery- were excellent at 2 pm. The place has both a quiet side, which we chose, and a bar side with a hockey game playing, on mute. The music was classic rock, including many old favorites.

I had the spicy Cajun salad (spicy -sweet dressing with pecans (I guess that's the Southern thing), blue cheese, bacon, and avocado. I added chicken, which was actually dewy looking and tender! When does that ever happen when added to a salad! (Note: this is a hot dressing - like sriracha sauce hot - in a state that does not "do" hot) and a glass of pinot grigio.

My husband, the beer drinker in the family, didn't try any of the beers that afternoon, but we enjoy a number of the breweries they feature and plan to return.

Note: this strikes me as a family friendly restaurant, at least at off hours. I saw several families with children.

My impression is that this restaurant endeavors to offer comfort food and music - like pizza and beer and classic rock - but with a local angle and/or a dash of something unexpected (like wood fired pizza or the combination in my salad). We're not talking gourmet, but we are talking an effort or two above run of the mill.

I live in Alaska and am the first to admit that there are lots of crummy restaurants along the highways driven by tourists. In this vicinity (which is my part of the state) I think this restaurant might be a good choice for a family or couple driving along the Parks Hwy - it is about halfway between Anchorage and Talkeetna/Denali area.

• Visited May 2014