“Dont do it!!!”
Review of Bistro Red Beet

Bistro Red Beet
Ranked #57 of 130 Restaurants in Wasilla
Cuisines: American
Description: Bistro Red Beet is a small eatery dedicated to serving locally sourced Northern food. We are a from- scratch eatery serving simple, real food to real people. Our foods do not contain chemicals, and we do not serve processed food of any kind. Our menu changes weekly to take full advantage of seasonal availability in grown and gathered crops. Many summer mornings find our staff picking and collecting fresh produce while other times of the week we are fermenting and preserving specialties for the winter months. Our bakery is full of nostalgia and decadence offering breads, cookies, cakes, pies, candies and seasonal specialties. Bistro Red Beet is a dedicated allergy friendly eatery specializing in a gluten, corn and soy free menu and bakery. We are always delighted to have the opportunity to share our unique cuisine with our guests and look forward to your visit at our table!
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I was sorely disappointed, had mushroom soup, never had worse. It was worst I ever tasted and I could not finish, which for me, says volumes.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Atmosphere: This is an older building to which the owners applied some effort and expense to improved. The dining area is small with a counter up front featuring a variety of take-home foods, like cookies and pastries. Sometimes the environment is loud, as the hard floor dining room is small.
Cleanliness: I found the restaurant reasonably clean and tidy.
Service: The waitress was not especially friendly, but took my order quickly. Some time later, they had the meal in a brown paper bag, apparently mistaking my order for take-out. I corrected them, and they went back to prepare a plate. This was served as quick as I could like, and was obviously prepared fresh from raw ingredients. From then on, I was not given any attention except when the waitress came out and abruptly asked me if everything was 'okay'. I finished my meal and I could hear the staff loudly talking in the kitchen about various subjects. After sitting for a while, I went up to the counter and waited to pay. No one filled my water, although I may have missed the self-service jug described by other reviewers. Incidentally, I do not usually tip if service just involves putting a plate on a table, and if the customer has to walk up to a counter and wait in line to pay. This is like ordering food at a deli or food service court.
Food Quality: I gave the Beet three stars, because they have good food. I highly appreciate their commitment to sourcing local meats and vegetables. This is one of the only places you can be sure not to find artificial sweeteners, coloring, chemicals, and GMO ingredients in the food. For some, this is very important on a lifestyle level. However, the food quality rating is not a big enough factor in the overall evaluation to bring this above 3 stars. I also purchased some bakery items, and was told the bread was 'gluten free.' Further, I was informed with a high brow that the entire restaurant is 'gluten free.' This reveals the explanation as to why other reviewers found the breads dry and crumbly. Gluten is an natural protein from wheat, barley, and rye that gives dough an elasticity and helps it rise. All good bread products are high in gluten. Unfortunately, it is a current fad at the writing for people to go 'gluten free', say they are allergic to wheat, and impose harsh restrictions on restaurants and bakeries. When I was told in a high brow tone about the gluten policy, I considered informing them that less than one percent of people in the US have any issues with gluten.
Pricing: In most things, you get what you pay for. This restaurant has high prices including $13 dollars for a smallish burger and potatoes, but it is high quality, local fare. I never mind paying a higher price when the money goes to local restaurants and farms instead of a big chain and out of the area.

1  Thank Boondoc
Reviewed September 3, 2013

What we really enjoy about Bistro Red Beet is their commitment to local produce, supporting Alaskan farmers and delivering healthy, alternative foods to the typical fried fare at so many restaurants. The menu is smaller than some, but the sandwiches, burgers and soups are all homemade from scratch. And don't forget to try a homemade brownie for dessert! Well worth the drive to Wasilla.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Slow, not terribly friendly service, though our server was well informed. Oddities include having to walk to the front to refill your own water from a big red jug.

While its an intriguing variety of healthy options on the menu, and the smells were great, the execution was lacking. 4 of our party of 5 had sandwiches and all found the buns to be dry, too crumbly to even hold like a sandwich to eat, and tasteless. Their signature soup tastes like dirt. The $14 salad came with no bread and was so small it left me feeling hungry-though the salmon blueberry was tasty.

After lunch we were all hungry enough that we sought more food at the farmer's market. No idea how this place got Lonely Planet's #1 rating.

3  Thank Efusco
Reviewed May 14, 2013

They make good home made food, and also food for special diets. They are very nice, and I'd definitely return and recommend it to a friend.

1  Thank raven25