“Not fair”

Alaskan Tour Guides Day Tours
Ranked #1 of 17 Tours in Wasilla
More attraction details
Owner description: Alaskan guided land Tours - All Inclusive* Alaska Land Tours, Multi Sport and Scenic trips, Family Tours, Custom and VIP Tours. Discover Kenai Fjords National Park, Denali National Park, in-between and beyond. These multi day trips explore glaciers, watch for wildlife, take part in many activities from thrilling to mild. Don't just see Alaska, discover, participate, and learn with Alaskan Tour Guides' small group tours.
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We booked a tour and transfer from Seward to Anchorage using this company. Our cruise was cancelled midway and we contacted all of our excursion companies.. Everyone was gracious and gave us a refund except this company. We tried to file through insurance and cruise company but still got no refund. I would not use this company unless you are 100% sure you are using them. They don't care why you cancelled

6  Thank Connecticut_Couple
ATGtoller, Owner at Alaskan Tour Guides Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Yes, we did not refund you for a reservation that you cancelled with only 5 days notice. We state on our website and on our tour booking form that we strongly recommend travel insurance. Our policy requires a 60 day notice for refunds. We are a smaller company and had all of our vehicles booked and an employee on the payroll that day. The cruiseline (I might mention a much larger company) cancelled your trip, not Alaskan Tour Guides. We offered to write a letter on your behalf so that you might submit it to the cruise line. What is fair? That we take the loss because you did not take to our recommendation to purchase travel insurance? Is fair to give us a poor review because you do not like our policy which was clear before you booked? Your circumstance was unfortunate, it is agreed however we cannot absorb the loss for you and it is good that all travelers understand this. Thank you.

Reviewed December 11, 2013

We are still smiling!! Three months after the euphoria of a week in Alaska with Bob and Doreen (Alaskan Tour guides) we still haven't stopped annoying our friends by telling them how much we loved Alaska. Bob and Doreen put on a magnificent tour over 7 days stretching from Denali to Seward and Kenai National Park. We enjoyed all of it but in particular the scenic flight to Denali, visiting Vern Halter and his wonderful dogs and of course Doreen's famous after dinner moose call walk. There were only 6 of us on the trip for Bob to look after so we had a lot of attention. The stories and history of Alaska continued for the 7 days which was entertaining. We saw a lot of Alaska, plenty of wildlife and had so much fun! Accommodation was great, food was up to standard and general organising went without a hitch. We definitely plan to go back again.
DougT

4  Thank 6641dougt

Thank you! I absolutely love it when I get the opportunity to get out of the office and meet up with our guests. I also love it when the wildlife cooperates. :-)

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Bob and Doreen Toller really know how to show off their state! My wife and I joined their Fall Tour this year and we could not have been more favorably impressed. Every day was filled with new adventures and personal service. The bus was very comfortable and the hotels very nice. We have traveled to numerous places worldwide and we highly recommend Alaskan Tour Guides. WELL DONE, Bob and Doreen!

Gary W - Chicago, IL

1  Thank Gary W
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Our family of eight (my mother- and father-in-law, my 11 and 12 year old daughters, my 14 and 18 year old sons, my husband, and me) spent six memorable days touring with Alaskan Tour Guides from Sunday, July 28 to Friday, August 2, 2013. For us it was the trip of a lifetime! Fifty-one years ago, my in-laws were married at Ft. Richardson and they wanted to celebrate by taking all of us back to Alaska. My mother-in-law worked with Doreen to plan a personalized itinerary that would suit the interests of our group. Though I had no part in making the arrangements, I had the impression that Mom was highly satisfied in her dealings with Doreen. Our tour guide, Bart Parker (not to be confused with Bob Barker, as he quipped in his introduction), was very knowledgeable and worked hard to make sure we had a great trip. Each day as we travelled from place to place, Bart shared interesting information about the area through which we passed, he entertained us with fun trivia games, and awarded the winners with prizes like a pack of Alaska playing cards, a beautiful tote bag from Denali National Park (like a reusable grocery bag), a bag of cotton candy, or an Alaska Rubik's cube- type toy. Bart kept our comfortable coach (maximum seating capacity around 18 - 20?) well-stocked with bottles of water, Mio flavor drops, insect repellent, and a pan for panning for gold. He had a supply of post card stamps, "emergency chocolate", and candy that he placed on our seats each morning before we boarded the vehicle. Every morning a new "guest of the day" was revealed by a card taped to the bottom of someone's seat. Before the trip, I had been a bit apprehensive about driving around all week with a complete stranger. I am a very private person who likes her space, and there were a few times I struggled a little bit when needing to deal with discipline issues with the kids. But by the time our week was over, we felt like we were saying good-bye to an old friend.
Every one of our destinations met or exceeded our high expectations. On Sunday, we drove along the Seward Highway. The scenery was spectacular! I hardly knew which way to look! We stopped at the Begich Boggs Visitor Center in the Chugach National Forest. Gorgeous scenery! Later in the day we made a stop at Exit Glacier. The kids liked grabbing small chunks of glacial ice from the riverbank along the trail. Some in our party hiked the whole way to the top of the trail which gets you pretty close to the glacier itself. The trail we took I believe was called Edge of the Glacier, and it is listed as moderately strenuous. Some parts of the trail might be difficult for older or out-of-shape visitors, but the views are spectacular! My 11 and 14 year olds and I made it the whole way and we are so glad we did! Monday's highlight was a six hour Kenai Fjords National Park Wildlife and Glacier Cruise. We had a phenomenal time enjoying the antics of sea otters, Dall porpoise, and MANY humpback whales. The glaciers we saw were amazing, too. On Tuesday we spent some time at Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center (AWCC). I got some great photographs of bears, moose (my personal favorite), and other wildlife native to Alaska. The center takes in orphaned or injured animals and cares for them. If the animals are not able to be released, they have a permanent home at AWCC. Further north along our journey we spent time in Hatcher's Pass and visited Independence Gold Mine. I am a history buff, and would have liked more time there, as I like to read every word on every sign board. However, I understand that when travelling with a group you have to be willing to compromise. It worked out OK as I took pictures of the informative sign boards so I could read about life in the gold rush once I got home. :) The kids and I had fun panning for gold. Didn't find our fortune, but we did come away with great memories! Wednesday was mostly a driving day as we had many miles to cover to Denali National Park. We made several stops for bathroom breaks and pictures along the way. Lunch was in the town of Talkeetna. Lots of souvenir shops for those searching for "treasures" as Bart called them. My favorite here was the film at Talkeetna Denali Visitor Center about climbing Denali (or Mt. McKinley, as it is known by those of us from the lower 48 who don't know any better). Before supper, we explored the visitor center at the entrance to the national park. The next day was our day to spend in the park. We took an eight hour bus tour along the park road. We saw several grizzlies, caribou, a couple eagles, and an artic fox carrying a furry little critter in his mouth which he had just caught. I had heard that most visitors to the park never get to see the mountain due to weather conditions, so I came to Alaska with very little hope of seeing it. My eyes got teary and I was overwhelmed as we came around a bend in the road...and there it was. Denali in all its God-given glory. The pictures I took look like postcards. The bus ride afforded us picturesque views all day long. There were, however, some heart-stopping moments when the bus carried us precariously close to the steep dropoff at the edge of the road- especially going through Polychrome Pass. They call this area "Poison Pass" because one drop will kill you. But I had faith in our driver, and we made it back quite safely. All too quickly we found ourselves on Friday. Was it really almost over? Besides lots of driving (again, scenic vistas all day long) we stopped at Vern Halter's Dream a Dream Kennel. Mr. Halter raced in the Ididarod I forget how many times. We got to meet his racing dogs (including the puppies), listen to a presentation about racing the Ididarod, and go on a sled dog ride using a multi-seat ATV. What a blast that was! We laughed the whole time. You just can't imagine how fun it was unless you've experienced it yourself.
A very important part of any vacation is your lodging. Doreen set us up at some of the best places we've ever stayed. At the beginning and end of our trip, we stayed at the Clarion Suites Downtown in Anchorage. Nice rooms, indoor pool, very good continental breakfast. The highlight here is its location. We could easily walk to several attractions we were interested in before and after our guided tour. Another plus was that the hotel was located directly across the street from Delaney Park. This park had plenty of space for our family to play wiffle ball. And we played every night we were there. Being from Pennsylvania, we thought it was lots of fun to play outside in broad daylight at 11:00 pm. The first place we stayed after hitting the road with Bart was called Exit Glacier Lodge. It was a small, quiet establishment. Very homey and Alaskan in decor. The staff here was very friendly. The Lake Lucille Inn in Wasilla was nice, too. This was a Best Western. The public areas had great Alaskan wildlife displays. Our room had a beautiful lake view. After we made sure the kids were showered and settled in for the night, my husband and I took a short walk to a place called Little Miller's for an ice cream cone. We thought the portions were big and the prices were very reasonable. I've saved our best for last- the Denali Lakeview Inn. I don't know what kind of mattresses those beds had, but they were the most comfortable I have ever slept on- bar none. The continental breakfast was done a little differently than what I'm used to. The breakfast foods were stocked in our room so that we could enjoy the morning meal at our leisure in the comfort of our own room (or on the deck as we took in the magnificent scenery). There were lots of wild blueberries growing between the lodge and the lake, and we saw several moose during our stay. This was a very quiet inn, and it gave us the feeling of being a very welcome guest in someone's home.
Every member in our party agreed that it was a fantastic trip. Everything was planned out so nicely for us. We appreciated being on a private tour rather than being on a bus tour with lots of other people. It made it a much more personalized experience for our family. We highly recommend Alaskan Tour Guides to anyone who is looking to explore Alaska- the Last Frontier.

7  Thank Sherri S
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Doreen and Bob Toller made our first trip to Alaska a wonderful trip with great attention to detail and congeniality. We did not want to cruise Alaska but to be on the land and experience the wilderness and get a sense of the vastness of Alaska. We certainly had a lot of fun with Bob as our guide, providing anecdotal Alaska tales and great camaraderie.
Our rafting, sightseeing, flight to Denali, visit at Vern Halter's and the glacier were all great fun. The visit to Seward, the salmon viewing, whale sightings could not compare to our evening walk outside of Denali. With Doreen accompanying us after dinner for a short walk, she shared her moose call, strange sound, but lo and behold, Mama Moose and Baby Moose appeared very nearby !! A very authentic Alaska moment !
So if Doreen and Bob tell you they will deliver, believe them !
Easy to work with, detail oriented, competent, fun and very reliable. I highly recommend their services to anyone who wants a real Alaska visit.

1  Thank Tberry67

Been to Alaskan Tour Guides Day Tours? Share your experiences!