“If you have to...”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Valdez
chicago
“If you have to...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

We got a last minute room in the main building which is with the restaurant. The rooms were very old, and had the bare minimum. Figured it would not be too good when we pulled in. The place is rather run down and aged. The staff would hardly put down their lunch long enough to check us in. But figured things were on Alaska time. There are coffee cans outside the rooms for the smokers. The door had been kicked in at one time, and the lock plates were re-attached. The frame was broke and put back together. Not too dirty, except for the shower curtain which had mold on the bottom. Bathroom door had kicked in parts. Nice short walk to the harbor. I would not have minded so much if it was $75, but it was $175 a night. We should have gotten a lot better. Breakfast in the restaurant was no good. At checkout, the staff could not care much about us. Just a room, but not much for the money.

Room Tip: Get one of the new suites or cabins instead of the old rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank ChicagoMatu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
fairbanks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

The Totem is great. The staff can't do enough for you. Spacious rooms.The suites sleep 4. Full kitchen. washer/dryer. 2 TV's. Cabins are also available. Best breakfast in town. Fast service and great waitress's. Walk to everything. harbor 3 minutes away.

Room Tip: no pool. suites are all great
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Fairbanks, Alaska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here during a conference. We stayed in a suite. The room was spacious, with laundry right in the room, a full kitchen, a big screen tv with DVD player, and a fully appointed kitchen. The restaurant in the main building was always quick and tasty with all the basic breakfast, lunch, and dinner items available to dine in or to go. The staff was very friendly and helpful, letting us do a late checkout with no extra charge. The room was reasonably priced, although prices are likely higher in the summer. My only complaint was the housekeeping. After three days our trash was still waiting to be emptied, we had not received new shampoo bottles or fresh towels, and our bed was made very sloppily. Although the room was basically clean you could tell no one had gone around the corners with a proper vacuum wand and the blinds and window sills not been dusted in some time. Sheets and towels appeared clean even if they weren't replaced during our four night stay.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Debji
Kasilof, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

The family and I stayed in one of their newer suites for several days and were very pleased. With living room, bedroom, kitchenette, in room washer & dryer and super fast internet (for AK). All of these amenities made for a very nice stay for us during our time in Valdez. The staff was also very nice and accommodating. We would certainly stay in one of their suites again.

Room Tip: The suites are the newest addition to the Inn and are very nice.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Palmer, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

I highly recommend this facility to any frequent traveler. I spend 3 out of 4 weeks a month "on the road" and Totem Inn/Restaurant has become my "rest" spot for the month. My two priorities are a great bed, and excellent internet. Totem provides these AND great food, (or a kichenette if I choose to cook {NOT}) AND Excellent customer service. The washer/dryer option was a real plus. I was especially impressed with the front desk person (Seth) who, on my first visit, went way out of his way to insure that I was satisfied with Totem. Great people, great rooms, fair prices, excellent service. If you travel a lot, or you are just looking for a comfortable place to rest these folks have my vote in Valdez.

Room Tip: I prefer the "suites" as opposed to the "rooms" because the are like small apart...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Anchorage, Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

I don't recommend this place mostly because the customer service was lacking and the facility needed known repairs which went unaddressed. Upon our arrival, we found that the mattess pad on the hide-a-bed (couch) was filthy, with old blood stains, dried urine stains and pet hair. I might be able to overlook this, assuming that it was an oversight with the hide-a-bed not being checked. However, when we brought this to the attention of the operator she nicely informed us that she didn't have any clean mattress pads to give us but that she would be happy to make a note of it for housekeeping in the morning. Finding this answer unacceptable for a number of reasons, especially since we were being charged for that night's rest, my Sweetie took the dirty mattress pad over to the office with our complaints and returned with two clean mattress pads.

We reported the broken kitchen faucet, which spun around like the gals head in the Exorcist and we couldn't locate the hot water, to the maintenance person that came over to the cabin to turn on our hot water. He noted the problem but no one ever came over to fix it. We also reported the very dirty carpet to the attendant, who did come in and vacumn.

We paid extra for a cabin that had a kitchenette. No one told us that it was not furnished with any utensils, pots, pans, ect. (except 3 knives, forks and spoons, 3 mugs and 3 disposable plates and 2 cereal bowls). When we call to see if they might have just forgotten to stock the kitchen we learned that we had to pay $10.00 per day extra to get the pots, pans, etc.

But for the fact that it was the Labor Day weekend and the other hotels and B&Bs were booked up, we would not have stayed there the full three days. NO return trips planned by anyone in our group.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere is my only recommendation. I agree with the person above, once this place has your c...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank B G
East Anglia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

We had a lovely suite with full kitchen - loved the big fridge and clean and tidy cupboards. Corridors were stiflingly hot though. Really appreciated the washer and dryer but why put it in the bedroom? Good job my husband can sleep through anything (whilst I did the laundry!) Would have been very comfortable here for more nights but had to move on.
Reviews say that the Totem restaurant is perhaps the best in town. First, we had to go back to the room for ID for purchasing alcohol in the restaurant (nowhere else in the whole of Alaska asked us for ID) Then we had a long wait before we got drinks. Then another long wait for our order to be taken. We were ok with this as the UK is not known for speedy service, but when my food arrived my Copper River Salmon was disappointingly overcooked. Husbands steak was good and overall the restaurant was doing a good job catering for many without having any finesse for the few.
The young man on the desk at the restaurant entrance was exceptionally willing, courteous and helpful. I'm sorry I can't remember his name because he was really trying to do his best at his job.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
W0RLDTRAVELJUNKIE, Owner at Totem Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Elaine,

Thank-you for your great review of our Hotel and Suites. In regards to your dining experience, I have spoken with both the Chef and the floor manager. We have now drafted a clear and concise policy on checking IDs. I'm glad your husband enjoyed his steak. Chef Jerid will speak with his staff regarding your review of the salmon.

Seth is the employee you spoke of and we will pass your compliments on to him.

Again, thank you for the great review and have a safe journey.

Mike
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valdez
BEST WESTERN Valdez Harbor Inn
#1 of 14 in Valdez
Alaska Copper River B&B
Alaska Copper River B&B
#1 of 5 in Glennallen

Been to Totem Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!