“Wonderful Accommodations”

Totem Hotel & Suites
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Valdez
Reviewed June 4, 2012

This is a lovely, family owned, hotel with an excellent restaurant. Though some of the reviews here seem negative, my room was very clean and well put together. Being a native of Alaska I didn't find the prices to be any more expensive then other hotels during the tourist season. I would highly recommend Totem to any visitors to Valdez.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marcyjp
W0RLDTRAVELJUNKIE, Owner at Totem Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

Thanks for the review. We are looking forward to your return!

Reviewed June 4, 2012

We recently stayed in one of the suites while in town for a wedding, and couldn't have been more pleased with everything. The room was huge and well stocked with all the amenities would could ask for. They have a nice balance of a modern feel while keeping the rugged Alaskan theme.

Though in a town of Valdez's size, almost any place is going to be conveniently located, but The Totem Inn seemed to have lucked into the sweet spot, being right on the end of the main street, two blocks from the harbor, as well as the grocery store.

Though you likely won't need many trips for groceries as the food here is literally some of the best I've had. In fact, I'm just going to come right out and say that I don't know if I've had a better cheeseburger. A wide variety of items on the menu and everything at a decent price.

The staff, for the most part, are very friendly. You can tell many of them have worked here for years and are probably part of the family. They're full of good humor and interesting stories.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GoingGoonies

Well wishes to the newly weds and thanks for the review.

Reviewed January 9, 2012

This time we stayed in the suites which were way nicer than the cabins. Service was good and it was quiet. So if you stay there, I'd recommend the suites.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Travelinglight22
W0RLDTRAVELJUNKIE, Owner at Totem Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 25, 2012

Thanks for taking the time to write a review and give us another chance. I am glad you enjoyed the suites. As far as the noise goes we are now limiting the hours of the outdoor deck and installing shielding to help with the noise. If you have any issues in the future please contact me directly 907-831-0699.

Reviewed October 8, 2011

This is a typical roadside motel, not at all what we were expecting. We stayed in the "business suites" because they offered a washer/dryer, but if they were a cut above the other rooms, I would not have wanted to stay in the other rooms. The washer/dryer were too small for much laundry (at this point we had been on the road for a week with a family of four) so we ended us using their main laundry facilities. In the end the place did what we needed - provided a clean, comfortable stay plus laundry.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Sorry you were disappointed with the size of the washer dryer that is in the room. I am glad you were able to make use of the onsite laundry facility that does have 10 full size washers and dryers. I am sure it made short work of a large amount of laundry. And thanks for the 5 star review of our restaurant.
Safe Travels

Reviewed September 12, 2011

The hotel is nothing to crow about per se, but there is a dearth of accommodation in Valdez and nothing to be had during the high season. That said, the hotel was relatively clean, the A/C worked, and it had an excellent shower. The location is also quite nice. The best part of the stay was the restaurant however. It provides excellent meals and relatively reasonably. Probably most important is the local "color" of the restaurant. Oft-times, tourists see nothing but other tourists. I see much poorer reviews by others, but having spent a great deal of time in AK, I have not come to expect much from its hotels.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Thanks for the review. As a seasoned traveler I would really like to here what we could be doing better for next time for you. Feel free to e-mail me at mike@toteminn.com.

Best

Reviewed September 10, 2011

We stayed in one of the cabins on a couple of nights when the bar got really going with very loud base music and yelling people, I did not get much sleep as it went way into the wee hours of the morning (past 3am). I called the front desk the first night and they said there was nothing they could do because there was no phone there. The bar is apparently owned by the hotel as well so I am surprised they are not respecting the stay of their sleeping guests. It did not improve the next night. The rooms are not very clean either. Don't stay here if you can.

• Stayed: September 2011
3  Thank Travelinglight22
Reviewed September 2, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times over the years. The suites are quite nice- it is true, but not the standard delux rooms. I can truly say- the worst in 10 years of world travelling experience. If this was not a business trip- the room alone would ruin a vacation.
The room was filthy. It was adjacent to the restaurant's bathroom. I could hear the "business" transpiring there + everything in a number of adjacent rooms. Not only you hear everything, but the whole room vibrates from any motion nearby.
The complaint about backed- up bathtub did not yield results. Enough said, don't want to get into details.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business