“Can't beat the location if you're taking the ferry”
Review of Keystone Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Valdez
Keystone Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Valdez
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Can't beat the location if you're taking the ferry”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

The staff at the Keystone are really friendly and helpful. It's located right around the corner from the ferry terminal so you can't beat that location. The hotel itself is very average, however it's moderately priced and clean. Those are two of my most important criteria. There's a laundry room and they serve a continental breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The title above is what I look for in a hotel. This place had all four covered. The rooms are small but I don't know who would spend a lot of time in a hotel room when in the beautiful area of Valdez. We only were looking for somewhere to sleep. The room was extremely clean, the beds comfortable and the shower had hot water and lots of pressure. It was nice to have breakfast right at the hotel in the morning and they had free coffee, tea, hot chocolate and apple cider 24 hours a day. The staff was very friendly. Also, it was a nice surprise they had laundry on site and we left with clean clothes and a good night's sleep.

I would stay here again when in Valdez.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Logan, Utah
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We looked all over Valdez for a hotel that we could afford over the 4th of July weekend. The search took about 5 minutes. The hotel was nothing more than a converted man camp which had been made into a hotel. But hey, the TV worked as did the remote, It was extremely clean and I'm totally serious when I say that and the shower had an output on it like a waterfall. So I was very happy. For 90 bucks it was by far the best value in town. We had stopped by a place that was about 20 minutes to the north and they wanted like 400 dollars per room. The other places in town were double what we paid. Over all I was very happy when I checked out the next morning.

Room Tip: If you don't expect much, you will be happy when you check in.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed July 15, 2013

So you need a place to stay in Valdez that's basic, not fancy, can get a good night's sleep ... well this just might be it. However, if you are staying some place for a hotel experience (e.g., pool, view, nice lounge, restaurant, or just about anything else), look elsewhere.

The interesting thing is that this hotel is constructed in the sort-of-northern bunkhouse style ... you'll see what I mean when you get there. It works.

Continental breakfast is very basic. For a memorable breakfast, go to the Totem Inn restaurant. Great food, great choices.

Room Tip: I would request the ground floor. But I suppose there might be someone noisy overhead ... though we...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AK_Steve_AK
Sydney
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The hotel is nothing to look at and it does at times feel like I'm staying in a freighter container. But who cares when you pay less then half of what you would pay for a hotel like Best Western. The hotel room was very clean, the shower was good, the towels were soft and the bed very clean. The internet was surprisingly quick. Staff was very friendly. I highly recommend for anyone visiting Seward to stay at this hotel and I would stay again if I visited Valdez again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Willow, Alaska
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We have stayed at the Keystone in Valdez twice so far. It has been perfect for us. We only need a place at night to sleep, shower in the morning and off we go to enjoy Prince Willam Sound! It is very clean, friendly staff, and a limited conntinnetal breakfast. On Memorial weekend the snow was still covering the first floor windows! The rooms are small, comfortable beds, good shower and large bathroom and great for what you pay. Parking was good even towing a boat. Valdez is small and walking from the hotel to anything you want to see or do is easy. The muesum is great. One can really learn the history of Valdez which is very interesting. Valdez area has some very dramatic epic stories of wealth, death, boom and bust, and of course beauty. Thompson Pass and the waterfalls are nature at its best. Watching the fishing fleet come and go in the harbor is interesting and seeing the huge tenders unloading in the harbor cannery is amazing. The people of Valdez are friendly and helpful and we will be going back soon. We will be staying at the keystone for sure.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms have more than one bed, so count how many need a place to sleep.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rachel H
California
Reviewed December 27, 2012

In our trip, this is the only place I could find in the town when I finalized the plan! I could not find anything thorugh all the major travel sites. I ended find this one by self. The staffs were very nice to help me booked it through phone/email. Actually I changed my plan a couple of times, and they were very patient w/ me. The location is very good near the harbor and port. This hotel is kind of a giant trailer, but it is very clean inside. We stayed in the 1st floor inner side, so we did not hear any funky noise like other mentioned, maybe because it was raining in the night. This is the only hotel to provide reasonablely good, free continental breakfast during our 2 wks travel in Alaska. The breakfast area on the 2nd floor is pretty nice w/ microwave and lots of tea bags and apple cide bags, which my kids like.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Gene G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valdez
Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn
#2 of 14 in Valdez
Alaska Copper River B&B
Alaska Copper River B&B
#1 of 5 in Glennallen

Been to Keystone Hotel? Share your experiences!