“Valdez is a guy thing”
Review of Keystone Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Valdez
Keystone Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Valdez
Logan, Utah
“Valdez is a guy thing”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We looked all over Valdez for a hotel that we could afford over the 4th of July weekend. The search took about 5 minutes. The hotel was nothing more than a converted man camp which had been made into a hotel. But hey, the TV worked as did the remote, It was extremely clean and I'm totally serious when I say that and the shower had an output on it like a waterfall. So I was very happy. For 90 bucks it was by far the best value in town. We had stopped by a place that was about 20 minutes to the north and they wanted like 400 dollars per room. The other places in town were double what we paid. Over all I was very happy when I checked out the next morning.

Room Tip: If you don't expect much, you will be happy when you check in.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed July 15, 2013

So you need a place to stay in Valdez that's basic, not fancy, can get a good night's sleep ... well this just might be it. However, if you are staying some place for a hotel experience (e.g., pool, view, nice lounge, restaurant, or just about anything else), look elsewhere.

The interesting thing is that this hotel is constructed in the sort-of-northern bunkhouse style ... you'll see what I mean when you get there. It works.

Continental breakfast is very basic. For a memorable breakfast, go to the Totem Inn restaurant. Great food, great choices.

Room Tip: I would request the ground floor. But I suppose there might be someone noisy overhead ... though we...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AK_Steve_AK
Sydney
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The hotel is nothing to look at and it does at times feel like I'm staying in a freighter container. But who cares when you pay less then half of what you would pay for a hotel like Best Western. The hotel room was very clean, the shower was good, the towels were soft and the bed very clean. The internet was surprisingly quick. Staff was very friendly. I highly recommend for anyone visiting Seward to stay at this hotel and I would stay again if I visited Valdez again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Willow, Alaska
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We have stayed at the Keystone in Valdez twice so far. It has been perfect for us. We only need a place at night to sleep, shower in the morning and off we go to enjoy Prince Willam Sound! It is very clean, friendly staff, and a limited conntinnetal breakfast. On Memorial weekend the snow was still covering the first floor windows! The rooms are small, comfortable beds, good shower and large bathroom and great for what you pay. Parking was good even towing a boat. Valdez is small and walking from the hotel to anything you want to see or do is easy. The muesum is great. One can really learn the history of Valdez which is very interesting. Valdez area has some very dramatic epic stories of wealth, death, boom and bust, and of course beauty. Thompson Pass and the waterfalls are nature at its best. Watching the fishing fleet come and go in the harbor is interesting and seeing the huge tenders unloading in the harbor cannery is amazing. The people of Valdez are friendly and helpful and we will be going back soon. We will be staying at the keystone for sure.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms have more than one bed, so count how many need a place to sleep.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rachel H
California
Reviewed December 27, 2012

In our trip, this is the only place I could find in the town when I finalized the plan! I could not find anything thorugh all the major travel sites. I ended find this one by self. The staffs were very nice to help me booked it through phone/email. Actually I changed my plan a couple of times, and they were very patient w/ me. The location is very good near the harbor and port. This hotel is kind of a giant trailer, but it is very clean inside. We stayed in the 1st floor inner side, so we did not hear any funky noise like other mentioned, maybe because it was raining in the night. This is the only hotel to provide reasonablely good, free continental breakfast during our 2 wks travel in Alaska. The breakfast area on the 2nd floor is pretty nice w/ microwave and lots of tea bags and apple cide bags, which my kids like.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Gene G
Michigan
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel is simple but clean. We were allowed to view a room ahead of booking it. The room we were shown had a double and a twin in it and was quite small. We asked for a queen and we were told we could have a king for the same price as the room we were shown. The room was small, but bed was comfortable and bathroom was large and clean. Halls to rooms had a furnace oil smell in "some" spots. Breakfast was upstairs and was quite simple but fresh. Parking was good and it was not noisy. We would go back again if we visited Valdez again. Not a lot to do or see in Valdez. But Thompson pass the the waterfalls are worth the trip.
The interesting history part is, this building was constructed for the folks that were there during the oil spill era. It was an office building. This information was supplied to us by the nice people at the information and visitor center. Who also helped us find a laundry mat that was clean and nice.

Room Tip: Ask to view a room and ask for the size room you would like.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MichiganMadmoose
Haverhill, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Everyone stays at the Best Western, so it was booked when we visited Valdez. The Keystone is a basic place, clean, no frills. We had some sound issues. But my biggest complaint was one night there was smoke coming through the air system. I don't know from where, but not any room close to us. That was annoying. The staff was friendly and helpful though.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valdez
Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn
#2 of 14 in Valdez
Alaska Copper River B&B
Alaska Copper River B&B
#1 of 5 in Glennallen

Been to Keystone Hotel? Share your experiences!