“Always very friendly,helpfull,and very accomindating. Best in town”

Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Valdez
Wasilla, Alaska
“Always very friendly,helpfull,and very accomindating. Best in town”
Reviewed October 26, 2010

I travel to Valdez several times a year and stay here as often as I can. The rooms are always clean and tidy. The staff has always been very helpfull with directions and suggestions about the local resturants and attractions. It has new management and they are making some really good improvement and upgrades. The free breakfast is second to none. Always a pleasure to stay here and I bring my family a couple of times a year also.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank jk83_10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
near Jasper, Alberta
Reviewed October 5, 2010

We stayed at this hotel in Valdez in September, having booked at least 3 weeks in advance for a pet friendly room. This hotel was chosen because it purported to be pet friendly. We are adamant non-smokers, and these folks put us into a seriously disgusting smelling smoking room and told us that their pet-friendly rooms are smoking rooms. Our clothes, entire contents of suitcase, and personal belongings still smell of the cigarette smoke that was latent in that room....we had no choice....they were full, or so they said, and couldn 't or wouldn't do anything to accommodate us.
I found the desk staff very unfriendly, both day and evening desk people. THe girls were not interested in pleasing anyone but themselves. I'd fire them if I were the manager.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BCTraveller1
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 2, 2010

Although this is an older property, I found my room to be very clean, including the crisp fresh bed linens. There was no musty odors anywhere, or dirty grout lines in the bathroom tiles. All of the staff was very pleasant throughout my stay from the desk clerks, to the servers in the restaurant and in the bar, to the housekeeping attendants cleaning up in the lobby. The continental breakfast was the standard fare - waffles, scrambled eggs and sausage, dry cereals, muffins, breads, yogurts, beverages, and fruits. The shuttle was there to pick me up when I arrived and took me back as I departed. It was the same friendly driver both times, offering interesting bits of information about the area that I appreciated. The view from either the dining room or the bar is absolutely incredible, even on a cloudy rainy day,

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank WiredSeattle
New York, NY
Reviewed September 12, 2010

I stayed for 2 nights at this hotel, and found the service so bad that if it were not the only major hotel in town, I can't believe anyone would stay there.
1. We requested first floor rooms for an elderly couple traveling with us (there is no elevator), but the receptionist said none was available when we checked in, even though it was clear that the hotel was not very full.
2. We asked directions to a drug store, and the same receptionist, said "It's in town." and no more. When we asked how we got to the drug store, she said you "walk out the front door." In fact the drugstore was several turns and blocks from the hotel.
3. We tried to make a reservation for dinner, but no one would take it. When we did get seated, the waiter was either on his first day as a waiter or incapable of doing his job. We waited..and waited... for him to take an order, even though there were people at only 2 other tables.
4. We were seated at a table near an opening in the wall to the bar, where a football game was on the TV. One of the bar patrons came up to the opening and started yelling into his cell phone in our direction, probably needing to talk so loudly to get over the sound of the TV. We asked the bar/restaurant manager to please have him talk on the cell phone someplace other than where we were seated, but she said he needed to talk there so as not to disturb the people watching the football game. When we pointed out that he was disturbing us, she didn't respond. When I asked him to please take his cell phone elsewhere and not bother us, he ignored me. I asked a second time, with the manager right next to him. He said, "No, I'm not going to move and if you don't like it, you can leave." The manager, overhearing the conversation, did nothing. We never ate there again during our trip.

• Stayed September 2010
3 Thank poolroger
Redmond, Washington
Reviewed August 24, 2010

I had a nice experience, clean room, quiet, friendly staff.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank T_girl77
watertown, Wisconsin, USA
Reviewed August 19, 2010

I read the reviews for this hotel, and I got a little worried. I was coming with my husband, who was making a business trip . We checked in, with no problems,got to our room, which was nice, bed was comforatable, the room was clean. The hotel IS a little older, but it was kept in pretty good shape. Our door decided to reset itself, so it wouldn't lock, but they fixed it within 10 minutes. And the staff couldn't have been lovlier. Overall, it was a great stay. The staff was helpful in recommending things and answering questions, and the breakfast was very filling. It's not a luxury hotel, but it's nice. I will stay here again when e come.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank krubber
BWValdezHarborInn, General Manager at Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn, responded to this review, June 19, 2017
Thank you for your feed back.
Lincoln, NE
Reviewed August 12, 2010

This hotel has a great location and may be one of the better motels in Valdez, but I would rate it a 2 star at best. The edges of the room look like a vacuum has never touched them and the bathroom smells of either urine or mildew. The front desk person is very nice and a real plus. I would recommend staying at a B & B and avoiding the hotels.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Alaskarookie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valdez
Totem Hotel & Suites
#15 of 17 in Talkeetna
House on the Rock B & B
House on the Rock B & B
#1 of 14 in Valdez

Been to Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!