“Right on Harbor, so so rooms, little view, spendy”

Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Valdez
Reviewed September 22, 2009

we live in Anchorage, and tried a few B&B's, but little response, so we paid $152,99 plus tax for a king bed, refrig, flat screen tv room, 2nd floor, little view of the harbor unless you stuck your neck out the window. bed was nice. breakfast was fair, cereals, rolls, overcooked eggs. friendly staff. but the price was high for past Labor Day. We'll look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank garymiller

Reviewed September 16, 2009

Valdez is a great spot with quite a lot to interest you as you look around but the locals starting at the hotel seemed disinclined to be friendly. This hotel had a very sulky unhappy looking receptionist when we checked in and the girl on duty the next day when checking out was only marginally better, However, the room was fine and we enjoyed a pretty good meal in the restaurant. The location was great.

2  Thank nettie16
Reviewed September 2, 2009

This is a decent hotel and is similar to most other best western's I've been at. It is in no way a resort and reminded me of a hotel you might find in a run down town on the highway in the middle of nowhere, except that it's built right on the harbor in Valdez. The hotel is in good condition, clean and pretty quiet. Checking in we had some issues with our reservation because the travel agent made a mistake, the front desk people were very polite and helped us work through the problem quickly and allowed us to cancel an extra room that had been reserved in our names without any penalty.
Our room didn't have a view (didn't seem like the rooms had views in general and it was so foggy most of the time it didn't matter). We spent very little time in our room (why would you, you're in Valdez?). We had a wonderful time exploring the town, hiking and fishing and would go back in a second. The room itself had plenty of space, internet access, a desk, a fridge, a comfortable bed and a functional, though somewhat dated bathroom. The TV worked fine and had plenty of stations. Our only complaint about the room itself was that it seemed like there was no control over the heat in the room and it was quite hot at night, though a fan was provided and opening the window helped. The hotel was not particularly quiet and unfortunately we were right next to a room being renovated, though to their credit renovations did not start until after 9am and ended before dinner time and were reasonably quiet. Breakfast is above average and is continental, though has hot items and a decent selection.
The hotel has a restaurant attached to it, which seems oddly out of place (it's too fancy) and we felt like the food was overpriced for what we got, though the view was nice. We ended up getting our other meals from the grocery store (which has an amazing prepared food selection).
The hotel is right on the water between the harbor and ferry terminal and is in easy walking distance of everything, though if you want to do more exploring a car is a good idea.

Reviewed August 30, 2009

I booked a room at the Best Western in Valdez, in response to their ad, that the inn had a view of the harbor. When I booked the room several months in advance, I was guaranteed this 'view'. When we checked in, the room had a view of the parking lot. When I questioned this; I was told that I would have to pay more $$ for a view. BEWARE.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 26, 2009

I made reservation a month ahead, for a room with two {2} queen size beds. The hotel
staff that made the reservation promised that I would have a room with two {2] queen size beds. Upon arrivial, the lady at the front desk was the most un-friendly person I've
every encountered in my world of travel. {I've traveled in 45 states, Europe, Israel, Egypt, Jordan, Japan, ETC.}. I informed the desk clerk {lady} I had reservation for two [2] queen size beds. She proceded to inform me that they did not have any rooms with two {2} queen size beds {very sarcastic} and only had rooms with two regular beds. I again informed the very sarcastic lady that my reservation was for a room with two [2} queen size beds. The sacastic lady proceeded to book me into a room and upon arriving at the room, I found it only had two {2} regular size beds. Being late I accepted but regretted the decision later as it turn out to be the worst night of all I've every encountered in my travels.

If I was the director or manager of thsi hotel, the front desk, especially evening shift
[4 P.M - midnight} would be replaced in a heartbeat. The evening shift leave a bad taste / representation for your other wise lower range hotel chain.

There are other places in Alaska such as Homer and Seward to catch cruises so one
can enjoy the glaciers.

Respectfully

Tourist from Oklahoma..

Reviewed August 20, 2009

It's a normal hotel, with all services you need: coin laundry, ice machine, microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker in room, and also free wireless

the room is ok but bad maintained

the staff is ok and professional

the price is very expensive: 151 $ for a simply double room with buffet breakfast

Reviewed July 31, 2009

My friend and I stayed at this hotel since we wanted to stay somewhere were we knew what to expect. Like the other reviewer said, the room was a little dated but was clean and big enough. There was a coffee maker, iron, fan (no air conditioning), microwave, and refrigerator in the room. The continental breakfast was not bad either and we saw people constantly coming in to replenish it. Just a decent place to spend your night(s) that was affordable.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends