“Rustic Fishing Village Hangout”

Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Valdez
home
“Rustic Fishing Village Hangout”
Reviewed September 10, 2005

What a quaint little town Valdez is. Has more RV parks with hookups then hotels. This hotel is located right on the river where it goes into the sound. A marina is adjacent to it. What beautiful scenery from the rooms. (depending on what room that is.) Can observe the crabbers and fisherman coming in with their catches or see them going out in the early morning hours through the fog with the lighthouses lighting the way. Awesome. Also, sea otters playing around the docks - quite the showoffs. There is a bar and restaurant (seperate) in the hotel and both are reasonable and good quality ( the crab-stuffed salmon excellent), clean, and friendly wait staff. A few small stores around the area in walking distance. Also, can book water/land excursions right next to main part of hotel. Wonderful little town with great history and grand views. The ride down to this hotel is breathtaking beauty with mountains, waterfalls and tundra. A must see stop for anyone going to Alaksa.

3 Thank Waneta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed August 9, 2005

This was one of the better hotels on my recent 6-week trip to Alaska. Valdez itself is spectacular, driving there very scenic (Worthington Glacier, Thompson Pass, Keystone Canyon). This Best Western property is located right at the edge of the small boat harbor and right on the waterfront. The building looks like a lodge from the outside, but is very nice from the inside. The room was nice, tastefully decorated and with all the amenities I need when on a tourist trip. The room was only a bit small so you might have space related problems if you are there on an extended vacation. For my stay of 2 nights it was fine. The room was clean when I got it, but I was a bit disappointed when it was not vacumed for my second night. The one thing that also bothered me was the bathroom vent. It only operated if you simultaneously turned on the heater which is a rather impractical solution.
The staff attitude was nice, professional and appropriate, although not very warm. I paid 118 USD per night which is a lot, but Valdez is not cheap anyway.
Some of the rooms offer very nice view of the Valdez Bay or the harbor, however my room was facing the parking lot. I am a bit skeptical about the information in the previous review that stated a guest having views of the Alaska Pipeline. To my knowledge Alaska Pipeline runs underground for the last 15 miles or so, so guests staying at Valdez Harbor Inn can only see the oil terminal, but not the pipeline.
All in all my stay at this property was nice and would come again if I get the chance to visit Valdez anytime soon.

• Stayed July 2005
5 Thank Slo-Lju
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 8, 2005

We ended up staying at this hotel after arriving at another facility that definitely did not meet our needs. The location is great, right on the harbor. And our room had a nice view of the harbor. I think this is probably the best place to stay in Valdez!

• Stayed June 2005
3 Thank billr
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 28, 2005

i've traveled all over alaska and driving down to valdez was a site to see....MAGNIFICENT. As i walked into the lobby i was kindly greeted by a great staff on the front desk, i checked into my room and had a room over looking the ocean,boats and a great view of the alyeska pipeline!...i had a wonderful stay....i was always greeted with a smile from the employees...i HIGHLY recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed June 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 24, 2003

We called ahead to alert Harbor Inn that we travel with an assistance dog. They said no problem. We checked in and had no problem until the next morning. Desk clerk informed us that we couldn't stay in the room we were in because of the dog. Said we HAD to move to a smoking room. I can't stay in smoking room, I'm very allergic to tobacco smoke, even residual. We decided to be polite because I hate 'scenes' and we would just leave. We would stay at a different hotel, even though the clerk and manager were in violation of Americans with Disabilities Act law by denying access to a service dog. As we were leaving, my friend took a photo of the lobby. The staff called the police because, as she said in heavily accented English "You can't take me picture. No, no, no picture." She wouldn't let us leave until a police officer showed up. The officer who responded was very polite and quite puzzled by the whole situation. We had him watch as we deleted the photo that offended. We left, cutting our trip short and leaving Valdez with a rather sour taste in our mouths. We are both involved heavily in tourism; my travelling companion is an internationally known author on cultural tourism and marketing. We travel extensively and have international experience. We are (and were) very polite and non-confrontational. The episode was totally uncalled for, embarassing and humiliating. The hotel was also under construction, noisy, smelled of diesel exhaust from equipment working around building, and basically an unpleasant place to stay. We do NOT recommend this establishment. They need staff training on customer service, basic manners, and ADA law compliance.

29 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valdez
Totem Hotel & Suites
#1 of 14 in Valdez
Mountain Sky Hotel
Mountain Sky Hotel
#4 of 5 in Valdez

Been to Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!