“Nice Accomodations”

Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Valdez
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed here for two nights in August 2011 using the toursaver coupon. While certainly not a fancy hotel we found it be be nice and clean. The breakfast in the morning was great and watching the bunnies in the courtyard was fun. We ate dinner in the restaurant there looking out into the harbour. It was a fabulous meal though the service was a bit slow. I'd stay there again and eat there again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank alaskadreamer59

Reviewed August 10, 2011

In August 2011, 10 buddies went to Valdez for a charter fishing trip. My first observation is that if you need multiple rooms for multiple nights, book early! I booked the rooms two months in advance and could not get five rooms in the same hotel for four consecutive nights. The end result was having to move rooms (and one night between hotels) almost every night.

The Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn is a well run hotel. The manager was around and visible for most of our stay. It is very clean and the staff are eager to help. In my opinion the restaurant is the best in town. My understanding is that they have been working to improve it over the last year or so.

The beds are firm and comfortable. The location of the hotel is at one end of the main street which runs along the waterfront. It is within walking distance of most in-town attractions. The hotel lounge overlooks the harbor through large windows providing views of fishing vessels coming in and out of port as well as harbor wildlife.

Upon check-in at the appointed time on our reservations, our rooms were not yet cleaned. The front desk staff took it upon themselves personally to ensure the rooms were readied as soon as possible. I was impressed with their efforts to correct this mis-step.

The breakfast served was of a good quality for continental style fare. The variety included scrambled eggs, a couple of types of sausage, a self-serve waffle maker and wide variety of breads and cereals.

This is the place I will stay when I return to Valdez. I recommend it, especially having had a chance to sample some of the other accommodations in town.

Enjoy your trip,
Mark.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mark B
Reviewed August 7, 2011

The rooms are clean, the breakfast was good, the location was great. We stayed here before taking the ferry to Whittier. It is right on the harbor which is beautiful. You can walk to resturants, super market and walk right out your door and watch the boats coming in and out. The surrounding area up to Worthington Glacier is very scenic.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This hotel is located adjacent to the Valdez harbor and next door to Stan Stephens Glacier & Wildlife Cruises. Rooms were basic motel fare, EXCEPT heat but no cooling was available. When I asked the front desk how we could get our room cooler, we were told to 'set a fan in front of an open window.' Our room was on the ground floor, just off the parking lot. We did not feel safe leaving our window open while away or asleep. Hence, we just sweltered. Thus, if you visit during a hot spell, or just to be safe, request a room on the second or third level.

The hotel offers water view rooms at a premium. Now that I've seen the hotel, I feel the extra premium would be wasted money.

The breakfast area was too small for hotel clientele. People were in a line waiting to make a waffle on the one waffle iron. Scrambled eggs and sausage and a limited assortment of sweet rolls were also available. Seating was a scramble.

The best this hotel could offer was its superb location.

Room Tip: Get a second or third floor room if it's warm out; Save $$$ don't pay extra for water view.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wanda71
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Although the room was clean and comfortable, I could hear the people walking around in the room above us. Voices could be heard from the hall. The beds were o.k. The shower was miserable because the water temperature kept changing from too cold to very hot. On a good note the breakfast was plentiful with several hot items and the usual cold things. If you sleep soundly and want a good breakfast, the shower temperatures might be worth overlooking. This was an average hotel room. If it was up to me I would try another, but if my kids were with me they would insist on The Best Western because there were a lot of small black Havana Rabbits on the property around the hotel and they liked that.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2011

Typical chain hotel. The room was comfortable and the free breakfast was good. If you are taking a glacier tour or charter fishing trip this is a great place to stay because it is right on the waterfront. We took a glacier tour and the ramp to the boat was at the edge of the property. There are several good restaurants within a short walk of the hotel. I recommend going to one of these as the prices in the hotel restaurant are an average of $34-40 per entree. The major drawback was the laundry facilities. There are two washers and two dryers for the entire hotel and they lock the doors at 9pm and don't open until 9am. There are many traveler who need the laundry just by the nature of how long it takes to get to Valdez and that many are here on organized tours and need the laundry. There is a laundromat in town but it is run down and would not leave my laundry unattended for a second.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ptlm323
Reviewed July 14, 2011

As part of our recent family trip to Alaska, we decided to try something different and take a water ferry from Whittier to Valdez. I must say that the ferry ride was outstanding and the whole family enjoyed the views and wildlife - but it takes 6 hours! So, we booked the Best Western in Valdez for the night before continuing on to McCarthy, AK the next day. Thank GOD we did not plan on staying in Valdez for anything other than a quick night stay because the hotel, and in fact the town of Valdez has little to offer a family.

The Bad: We had to wait in a long line to check in as there was only one person at the front desk. When it was finally my time to checkin, it seemed to me that the girl at the front desk couldn't care less that I existed (I don't think she ever looked at me while we were checking in). The room was a non-smoking room, as reserved, but still smelled of something (not exactly sure of what). The room was small and cramped. The bathroom was small, outdated and the lighting seemed dark. The rooms are not air-conditioned and the night we stayed there, it was warm. We had to leave the window open but the screen was almost falling out. I was a little afraid to sleep too soundly as we were on the ground floor and anyone passing by could have easily reached into the window and stolen anything within reach (or worse!). To top it off, the "free breakfast" was pathetic compared to other hotels we stayed at in Alaska.

The Good: Well, uh, ummm, let me think - think real hard! Well, the .... the rabbits! Yes, the rabbits! Valdez has lots of rabbits running around the town for some unknown reason so my two kids kept busy chasing after them for an hour or so before bed (see the attached pictures from my 8 year old's camera). Now the ferry ride from Whittier to Valdez was outstanding and a must do! Also, the drive north OUT of town was absolutely beautiful - including the drive through Thompson Pass. It ALMOST made up for the disappointment of Valdez and our "uncomfortable" stay at the Best Western Valdez, but not quite.

After breakfast we immediately packed up and left Valdez - hopefully never to return! If you have to be in Valdez because of business, I would suggest that you try another hotel - but there just doesn't seem to be much of anything in Valdez worth staying at that I could see. The Best Western might be the best that Valdez has to offer - that is sad! If you are traveling with a family for fun and adventure, I would advise you stay away from Valdez entirely. It really is so sad that a town that has the potential to be something - with all the oil money there - is really nothing much at all.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family