“Great B&B”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Valdez
Wild Roses By The Sea B&B Retreat
Ranked #3 of 14 Valdez B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 4, 2008

Wonderful stay in Valdez! Host was great and the breakfast was outstanding. Beautiful home overlooking the water.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank davesgolf1943
There are newer reviews for Wild Roses By The Sea B&B Retreat

Reviewed July 12, 2008

Valdez was the 4th stop on our Alaska road trip, and thanks to the recommendations from reviewers in Trip Advisor, I chose Wild Roses by the Sea for our 3 night stay - and we were not disappointed. My husband and I stayed in the Ocean View Guest House, which was clean and comfortable and had its own kitchen (which we didn't use) and living room so gave us plenty of space to spread out. Our room had its own entrance, as well as a connecting door to the rest of the house. Rose was the perfect hostess, warm and friendly, even though she wasn't there to greet us when we arrived at the appointed check in time. However, the door was open and there was a note with instructions. Rose did not provide a computer for internet access but we had our lap top and were able to access the internet from our room. I enjoyed taking Abby, her sweet dog, for a walk down the private road leading to a small, secluded beach. The common area was inviting with great views - and the breakfasts Rose served up were unique and delicious. And for early risers, the coffee was already brewing by 630AM! For over all ambiance, comfort, location and cleanliness, I definitely would recommend Wild Roses by the Sea!

In Valdez we took the Stan Stephens cruise of Prince William Sound and I highly recommend this tour and tour operator. We did the all day cruise and enjoyed it all, even though the weather was a bit nippy! We saw whales, stellar sea lions, otters, puffins, eagles and a variety of other sea birds. Lunch was included in the price and was pretty good considering how many people were being served.

In Valdez we also enjoyed the local museums and the Mineral Creek hike. Worthington Glacier is about 35 miles outside of Valdez , and if inclined, you can hike out on to the glacier, which we did. And the best food we had was at the Harbor Cafe at the Valdez harbor - we were a bit unenchanted with the rest of the dining in Valdez!

Valdez is a very small town and a two day visit is plenty if you are there only for the sights and the cruise. Stay longer if you want time to also hike.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank angelika711
Reviewed July 1, 2008

Just came back from 2 weeks vacation in Alaska, where I spent 2 nights in Valdez. Me and my wife travel a lot and often stay at B&B. Before I book any place I do a lot of research, so by selecting Wild Roses I kind of expected to be a nice place. I didn’t realize it was the BEST! Rose is a wonderful host. She keeps her place spotless and very nicely furnished. She provides excellent and very generous breakfast. On this trip we stayed 12 nights at various B&B throughout South-Central Alaska, and I would say that the Rose’s breakfast was the best. There is an adorable dog in the house – Abby, that if you like the dogs you will get very attached to her, but if you don’t like the dogs, she spends a lot of time outside and would not bother anybody. The view from our bedroom and from the living room is to die for: the house sits on the bluff overlooking PWS and the mountains. Evenings were spent sitting in the very comfortable living room, sharing day activities with other guests and admiring the view. It was really hard to leave this place after staying for 2 nights. It felt like staying at the friend’s house at some exotic location

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank yk387
Reviewed June 12, 2008

Spotlessly clean, beautifully decorated home with wonderful breakfasts and warm hospitality from the hostess, Rose. Little additional pieces of thoughtfulness were scattered everywhere throughout our stay. Even after our stay, as we sat at the airport, Rose ran up minutes before we were to take off, carryiing my cell phone charger and a bottle of water I'd mistakenly left behind. I think perhaps I shouldn't share this--because forgetful people like me shouldn't expect their B&B hostess to bail them out like Rose did. But it epitomizes how exceptionally thoughtful and warm Rose was throughout our stay.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank alangoo
Reviewed June 3, 2008

At first I was a little nervous since there was miscommunication as to whether I had a reservation and Valdez was an EXTREMELY long drive from Anchorage but it was well worth it.

Had it not been for the navigation system and Rose's handy dandy turn by turn directions, I wouldn't have know I reached my destination.

Note: an SUV will definitely come in handy!

The B&B rests on the side of a hill with beautiful views. Since we came in the shoulder season, we were able to have the ocean view guest room which consists of the entire first floor of the B&B with a separate bedroom and entrance which I unfortunately didn't realize we had until the day I left.

Unfortunately Rose wasnt there to greet us upon arrival but left a nice note on the door with entrance instructions and reminder that there is a dog on the premises (who I've lovingly dubbed "THE ABSTER!").

Once you enter thru the private entrance (stairs leading toward the lower level on the right side of the main entrance) straight ahead you'll see the bathroom (with glass sliding doors) and the kitchen (stocked with tea, coffee, cereal and other things to nosh on in case you're hungry) toward your left.

Once you step fully inside you'll see the very large living room with bay windows which gives great views of the water and forest. There is also a rocking chair right outside of the house to sit and watch the water on a clear day (unfortunately I didnt get to take advantage of this since it rained). There was also a pull out couch and stow away bed available which leads me to believe at least 5 people can stay in this space. GREAT if you're traveling in a group.

The private bedroom was tastefully and simply decorated and in the closet were extra blankets and 2 robes if needed. The greatest thing about the bedroom is the view (same view from the living room) AND the fact that the blinds shut to give complete darkness. Helpful if you're not used to 20 hours of sunlight! The bed was so comfortable, down right addicting! I usually have trouble sleeping in foreign places but I slept for 9 hours which I NEVER do! (KUDOS to Rose for picking a great bed!)

Unfortunately, I felt a little sick but my travel partner got the chance to speak to Rose who gave great tips on where to view animals and where to eat.

The next morning we woke to breakfast on the stairs which consisted of fresh yogurt which crunchy apples, dried cranberries, granola and other "stuff". Honestly it looked a little weird but I'm always one to try something new and it was DELICIOUS. I'm not a yogurt eater so for me to say that, it's big. Even better were the fresh baked raisin bran muffins, home made blueberry jam (never had that before and it was AWESOME!) and coffee that was strong but didnt overpower the sense. O.J. and a variety of teas were also available but I didnt indulge.

Finally after we packed up and were ready to head out, Rose gave us a baggy of muffins for our long trek to Seward, I took a couple of pictures of the B&B and "THE ABSTER!" and we headed out!

For my first visit to a B&B, Wild Roses and Rose herself have definitely made me a fan! And while I may not experience Rose's hospitality any time in the near future, she made me look forward to future B&B stays. I honestly cannot find one single thing to complain about (and I definitely looked!).

If you're looking for a quality B&B with great views and a great hostess AND you're going to be in Valdez, definitely give Rose a call.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank COCO_CLASSIC
Reviewed November 15, 2007

I just had the pleasure to stay at Rose's B&B while travelling on business in Valdez. Everything you've heard about the breakfasts is true. And Rose makes you feel right at home. After a long day of work (or play) in the snow (or sun or rain), it's great to be comforted by her beautiful B&B and get spoiled with her gourmet breakfasts. If you're on business, the B&B takes the "edge off" of the wearies of business travel. If you're on vacation, just go for the pure pleasure.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank AlbertBodamer
Reviewed October 13, 2007

The setting is gorgeous, the views are breathtaking, the location is convenient, the house is bright and cheerful, the rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable, the breakfasts are huge and border on decadent. Yes, all of this is true. But rising above everything is the owner, Rose.

Rose is welcoming, sweet, funny, genuine, helpful, and kind. We’ve stayed in countless B&Bs, and no one has ever made us feel at home like she did. I devised a fantasy in my head that there would be a B&B University where all B&B owners go to learn their trade, and Rose would be the President and Dean. She’s that wonderful and she is, without question, doing exactly what she was born to do.

We stayed in the Sea View Room, which is the smallest room and includes a huge private bath across the hall. Parking was ample and we even had access to a washer and dryer. The main living and dining room areas are fronted by a wall of windows with a view over Prince William Sound, and there are binoculars provided for boat and animal viewing. When you’re done with that, you can play games, chat with other guests, read a book, or look through the scrapbook about how Wild Roses came to be. Nights were very quiet and we were never disturbed by kitchen noise or other guests.

In order for us to give a place the full 5 TripAdvisor ‘dots’, there has to be something truly special about our stay there. Wild Roses is special in many ways, and we can’t recommend this place enough.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sensibility
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valdez
Best Western Valdez Harbor Inn
#1 of 5 in Glennallen
Mountain Sky Hotel
Mountain Sky Hotel
#4 of 5 in Valdez

Been to Wild Roses By The Sea B&B Retreat? Share your experiences!