“I'll Keep Going Back!”

The Fat Mermaid
Ranked #3 of 30 Restaurants in Valdez
Cuisines: Pizza, Seafood, Healthy
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Description: The Fat mermaid sits on the waterfront with a great view of the harbor and mountains. Chef Joel Brown has a fresh and innovative way to create seafood dishes that everyone enjoys and appreciates. We have a love for preparing great pizzas, burgers, steaks and pasta from scratch. We also produce gluten free, healthy and vegan items. Our bar host spirits and over 15 different craft beers on tap.
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Every time I go into the Fat Mermaid something is just a little off. They mess up the drink order, forget to give you the appetizer, or you have to wait an hour before you're even served. All that being said I just can't stop going back! The atmosphere is great, its always clean, bright and everyone is friendly. The food is also wonderful. It's mostly a pizza place and although I don't care for their pizza, I do very much like the other items they have on the menu. I think with a little more time and a larger wait staff The Fat Mermaid could be a really great place! Until then I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep going back!

Waterfront_Lady, Owner at The Fat Mermaid, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2012

Thank you for being hopeful and positive. My goals are directly related to customer service. It is very agonizing for me when I hear of such problems. As we speak we are working on the issues you have related. Please stop by and request to see me and I will be happy to comp you an appetizer for your inconvienence. Note that my chef and I are working dilegency on all these issues. Again, thank you for what I consider a positve feedback.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Just got into town and this place was full of local flavor. Good food too!

Reviewed May 26, 2012

I am from Dallas and we have great restaurants on every corner. But this place was amazing no joke very very good food. And the service was 5 star a must if your in Valdez

Reviewed May 26, 2012

The halibut taco was not even warm. The French onion soup was inedible and the fish in the fish and chips was cod. I am suspicious that the fish in the halibut taco may have been cod. The waitress was friendly but a little slow. Unable to remember what we ordered and didn't write it down. We were hungry, but this lunch settled like lead in the gut. We made a bad choice.

1  Thank mimi95959
Waterfront_Lady, Owner at The Fat Mermaid, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2012

IHi, My name is Karen Ables and I am the owner of the Fat Mermaid, We are extremely sorry that you have had a bad experience with us and would like you to come back before you leave to have dinner on us again. I assure you that we will try and understand what happened to you while you were dining with us. Please reconsider hurting us with your review by giving us another opportunity to do right by you. Adding the sad point, people in training periods are not as sensitive and devoted as they should be. I and my chef are working hard just make sure our guests get what they deserve. It saddens us that our guests walk away with a bad experience. At this time my chef and I talking about your situation and are trying rectify any future problems.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

They've got a nice breakfast menu here -- morning news is on, grab the paper, enjoy the view. If you are going on a kayaking trip with Pangaea or Anadyr, I recommend that you grab breakfast before your long day of adventure here at the Fat Mermaid (it is a one minute walk to either outfitter). The Fat Mermaid has breakfast down pat! Enjoy!

1  Thank voodoo-d

Been to The Fat Mermaid? Share your experiences!