“The best fish tacos I have had”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Fat Mermaid

The Fat Mermaid
Ranked #4 of 27 Restaurants in Valdez
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pizza, Seafood, Healthy
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Description: The Fat mermaid sits on the waterfront with a great view of the harbor and mountains. Chef Joel Brown has a fresh and innovative way to create seafood dishes that everyone enjoys and appreciates. We have a love for preparing great pizzas, burgers, steaks and pasta from scratch. We also produce gluten free, healthy and vegan items. Our bar host spirits and over 15 different craft beers on tap.
“The best fish tacos I have had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

I am from Dallas and we have great restaurants on every corner. But this place was amazing no joke very very good food. And the service was 5 star a must if your in Valdez

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bad halibut tacos”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

The halibut taco was not even warm. The French onion soup was inedible and the fish in the fish and chips was cod. I am suspicious that the fish in the halibut taco may have been cod. The waitress was friendly but a little slow. Unable to remember what we ordered and didn't write it down. We were hungry, but this lunch settled like lead in the gut. We made a bad choice.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank mimi95959
Waterfront_Lady, Owner at The Fat Mermaid, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
IHi, My name is Karen Ables and I am the owner of the Fat Mermaid, We are extremely sorry that you have had a bad experience with us and would like you to come back before you leave to have dinner on us again. I assure you that we will try and understand what happened to you while you were dining with us. Please reconsider hurting us with your review by giving us another opportunity to do right by you. Adding the sad point, people in training periods are not as sensitive and devoted as they should be. I and my chef are working hard just make sure our guests get what they deserve. It saddens us that our guests walk away with a bad experience. At this time my chef and I talking about your situation and are trying rectify any future problems.
Los Angeles, California
“Breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

They've got a nice breakfast menu here -- morning news is on, grab the paper, enjoy the view. If you are going on a kayaking trip with Pangaea or Anadyr, I recommend that you grab breakfast before your long day of adventure here at the Fat Mermaid (it is a one minute walk to either outfitter). The Fat Mermaid has breakfast down pat! Enjoy!

Visited May 2012
1 Thank voodoo-d
Valdez, Alaska
“Good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2012

They have good food, the people are friendly and the place is clean. The have really good beer on tap.

Visited May 2012
“Great cusine with warm room and people.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

The halibut fish tacos and clam chowder were amazing - highly reccommended! The wood fire, heated patio was great on a rainy, cool evening. Karen was warm and welcoming.

Been to The Fat Mermaid? Share your experiences!