Open today: 6:00 AM - 11:00 PM
Review Highlights
Add this to the top of your "Must-Do Activities" list

Let me start by stating that I've done many flightseeing tours in Alaska and elsewhere, and the... read more

Reviewed October 2, 2018
JaminR
Cantwell, Alaska
EPIC Bucket List Alaska Adventure

It’s hard to find the words (i.e. Amazing, Awesome, Magical, Beautiful, Breathtaking, Spectacular... read more

Reviewed September 28, 2018
Jerry K
Pocatello, Idaho

Recommended experiences in and around Valdez
from $135.00
More Info
from $170.00
More Info
All reviews the kitchen bucket list mountain goats shoup glacier once in a lifetime heli tour amazing pilot eye view amazing experience walked around fresh glacier water small aircraft ice water icing on the cake prince william sound beach landing breathtaking views
Reviewed October 3, 2015

From lift off to touch down our pilot Leigh was first name friendly, providing complete background information about the area, its past, points of interest, with special commentary about wildlife. The flight took us right across the front of the mountain overlooking Valdez. We went up and over the mountain and into a visual experience beyond imagination. I have seen TV programs showing the Columbia Ice Fields - it just didn't do justice to the experience. It's huge, surrounded by an expanse of mountains, I believe unequaled anywhere in the world. We swept down the glacier to the face, then went back and forth across the face watching calving action along the way. We then went to a smaller - safer - glacier, landed on it and walked about the glacier discussing the various characteristics of the surface, whilst avoiding the slippery slopes. It was quite safe, but thrilling. We then lifted off sweeping up the side of the surrounding mountains in search of goats, sheep, wolves, and bear. We found many of each kind except wolves who managed to elude us. Then down the face side of the ocean front mountain back to the airport. I have enjoyed many years of adventure travel and can say without equivocation that this was the most thrilling, visually stimulating experience I have had.

Date of experience: October 2015
AKHeliFlyer, Guest Relations Manager at VSHelicopters Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2016

Thank you for flying with us! We are so glad you all decided to make the trip. It was our pleasure flying you. Thank you so much for your wonderfully detailed review. We are honored to provide you with your most thrilling experience you have ever had. Come see us again!

Reviewed September 22, 2015

wanna see what Alaska is all about?
VS helicopters picks you up at your hotel and you never look back!
I was with pilot Leigh and although I have a SERIOUS case of vertigo I enjoyed this trip from the moment they helped me to strap in.There were 3 helicopters on this trip,so when one of them comes into view you realize how vast the whole area is.We had a smooth landing on Shoup Glacier,tasted some glacier water and threw rocks into crevasses - sounds like thunder.
If there's ONE extratour you do in Alaska - THIS is it!
This helicopter ride is the greatest thing to experience - add it to your bucketlist!

1  Thank globetrekkerAruba
AKHeliFlyer, Owner at VSHelicopters Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2015

I'm so glad that you came out with us! With your vertigo, I know that couldn't have been easy! I hear that from so many people who are nervous to fly in a helicopter that as soon as we pick up into a hover and slowly float on up into the beautiful glacier filled mountains that it feels more like a relaxing magic carpet ride than the airplane flying that they are used to. We've seen a lot of people who are nervous flyers come back from a trip with us and want to go again! Thank you so much for sharing your experience and taking the time to write such a great review. It really means a lot to us!

Reviewed September 13, 2015

We were touring Alaska. We took boat cruises, plane rides over Denali and train rides but nothing compared to this. The views of the Columbia glacier was fantastic along with the views of bear and sheep. Until you've flown in one of these it is almost indescribable. As there were four of us we took two helicopters and the two young pilots were first rate. If you are traveling to Alaska this is an absolute must. You have not seen Alaska until you take one of these rides.

1  Thank R S

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing your great photos! And what a fantastic review! We love getting feedback like that because there are so many amazing things to see and do in Alaska. We think our trip is an absolute must do when visiting Alaska, but to hear it from you with all your experience with fun activities throughout the state really means so much. Thank You!!!

Reviewed September 10, 2015 via mobile

We took the one hour flight and I can say that it couldn't be better. Our pilot, Leigh, was amazing. She took us to great spots and we saw more things than we expected. She was very professional, but personable at the same time, making that experience educational and fun. WOULD RECOMMEND TO EVERYBODY! !!!!

Date of experience: September 2015

Thank you so much for your great review! You two were so much fun and I really enjoyed flying with you! What an adventure! I hope we see you again!

Reviewed August 25, 2015 via mobile

While visiting Valdez, we decided to explore the possibility of seeing a Glacier from above. We placed the call and were advised they had a pilot available, in 20 minutes. Being it was so close to town, we headed to the airport. We were excited to fly with the Awesome Pilot Jenny! She was very knowledgeable and spotted a black bear on the hillside, looped around so we could see! She then flew over the town of Valdez pointing out which homes and businesses that were relocated after the title wave of 1964. On to the beautiful view of the Glacier!
We took the short flight and was not disappointed! I do think actually landing on the glacier would give another experience well worth while! The take off and landing was so smooth, you truly didn't feel it.

Great Experience! We would highly recommend VSHelicopters Tour any time! Ask for Jenny, if she is Available!

Date of experience: August 2015
AKHeliFlyer, pilot at VSHelicopters Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2015

Lucy and Ethel!! Thank you, thank you for the kind words!! I'm glad you two decided to come out on a quick trip with us, perhaps next time we will do a landing and drink some of that delicious glacier water! Even not landing, you seemed to have gotten some amazing photos!! You ladies are too cute and great travel companions!!
Look forward to seeing you again next year!
~Jenny