Open today: 6:00 AM - 11:00 PM

EPIC Bucket List Alaska Adventure

Reviewed September 28, 2018
Jerry K
Pocatello, Idaho

All reviews the kitchen once in a lifetime awesome pilot mountain goats shoup glacier bucket list eye view black beans fresh glacier water ice water an absolute ice chunks great trip spectacular scenery an amazing experience ice field leigh
Reviewed October 2, 2018

Let me start by stating that I've done many flightseeing tours in Alaska and elsewhere, and the experience I had at VS Helicopters was exceptional! Leigh was very friendly and helpful at the desk for my initial inquiry and check-in (I decided to fly last minute). Al was our pilot, and did a splendid job in all aspects of flight (i.e. piloting, narration, guest interaction, etc.). The "Glacier Explorer" was the tour I did, and I would do it again in a heartbeat! The vast landscapes and immensity of the glaciers and mountains are almost unreal. Pictures do NOT do the scenery justice. Thank you, VS Helicopters, and more specifically- Leigh and Al, for making my trip to Valdez so incredibly precious and memorable!

Reviewed September 28, 2018

It’s hard to find the words (i.e. Amazing, Awesome, Magical, Beautiful, Breathtaking, Spectacular…) to express our THANKS to VS Helicopters and Leigh, our guide and pilot for an Experience of a Lifetime. This adventure has been on my Bucket List for a long time and it now has a box with a big checkmark along with a couple of hastily added boxes to checkoff down the road if grandpa (aka Papa Jerry) is able to share this amazing experience with my grandkids …..Yippee!!!

I still get a smile when I think back when I talked to Leigh on the phone when she said she would make it an EPIC “Everything And The Kitchen Sink” adventure. Well let me tell you that she sure knew what she was talking about as even EPIC doesn’t do it justice. The helicopter, the tour and its pilot were absolutely amazing. I really appreciated when it was obvious of Anne’s (The Gal I’ve been fortunate to have been hanging out with for the last 48 years) uneasiness about hopping into the whirlybird. Her fears vanished immediately following the pre-flight discussion and safety review. Anne loved the trip.

Leigh’s perseverance in scheduling the EPIC adventure for low tide was icing on the cake (lots of icing). I would highly recommend the low tide beach landing to anyone. It was unbelievable to experience landing on the beach at the face of Columbia glacier in the midst of magical shimmering icebergs. I was so amazed and excited during the flight that I didn’t get as many pictures as I wish I could have but there are several that will be showing up in our Christmas Card.

Anyone who travels to Alaska finds out very quickly how immense it is along with all of scenery, animals and unique history it has to offer. Well if you don’t have years to spend trekking around Alaska, VS Helicopters is a great option to see a heck of a lot of what Alaska has to offer in a few short hours. We lifted off at Valdez airport and were immediately rising into gorgeous green valleys and steep majestic canyons transitioning from lush green meadows to snow fields and glaciers. Of course along the way our eagle eye pilot spotted a bear and band of Dahl sheep. It was a unique opportunity to hover at a non-threatening distance to watch the animals in their natural settings. If you haven’t ever landed on a glacier near an ice blue kettle pond and walked around to see, feel, hear and YEP even taste the crystal clear icy water flowing down glacial crevices and nooks and crannies you need to do it as it is incredible. Being able to have a birds-eye view of the immense glacier fields winding together and flowing down to Prince William Sound and hear and watch the calving as massive slabs of ice thunder and crash into the water was a breathtaking experience we will never forget.

We were so HAPPY to have scheduled with VS Helicopters and to have had an awesome “Whirly Bird”, guide and pilot which shared her knowledge of the area, was attentive to our needs, flew us to amazing places, and YEP met her commitment in making it and EPIC adventure filled with treasured memories. LIFE IS GOOD from a Happy-Camper VS Helicopters customer!!!

Reviewed August 30, 2018

Wonderful experience and well worth the splurge. We opted for the “kitchen sink” tour and are so happy we did. In our travels we have often booked Glacier helicopter tours and were cancelled do to the weather. Somehow we were so lucky in Valdez the day of our tour was beautiful, no rain in a very rainy month. Our pilot/guide was a lovely man named Al and I recommend him highly. He was safe, informative, polite, professional and just plain enjoyable to fly with. We saw bears and goats and amazing views of the two glaciers. I have seen many a Glacier from boats, hikes and road travel and have never really understood the appeal to so many people. But flying over Columbia, so close to the ice was absolutely amazing. Now I finally understand. You have to see it yourself to appreciate the intrigue. We have flown helicopter tours in Hawaii, which were wonderful, but didn’t come close to this fantasy flight. Thank you VS and Al for a perfect flight. This is probably the best splurge we have ever experienced in Alaska and we go up there at least once a year seeking new experiences.

Reviewed August 17, 2018 via mobile

Thank you Leigh and our pilot Justine for a magical tour this morning. We chose the ‘Everything’ tour as it ticked all the boxes. As we live in Australia who knows when we’ll get back.
We had our concerns about the weather conditions but after calling Leigh she assured us it would be perfect. How right she was!!
Felt very safe and comfortable the whole time.

Reviewed August 15, 2018

My husband, myself and 7 year old daughter took the Glacier Explorer Tour, we were gone for about 1 hour 15 minutes. It was amazing, our pilot was Justine. She was awesome, very knowledgeable and fun. My daughter loved that we had a female pilot. Justine made our daughter feel safe. We landed on Shoup Glacier and walked around, this experience was great. After we were on our way back, we were able to see some mountain goats too. This entire experience is well worth it, definitely a wonderful way to see the mountains and glaciers.

Reviewed August 10, 2018

This adventure became one of the main highlights of our journey to Alaska. Even on a rainy gloomy day, two plus hours went as one breathtaking moment, full of life-lasting memories. We chose the “Everything and the Kitchen Sink,” and this tour indeed has it all!
The smells and sounds of the glacier were exciting and romantically intoxicating. We were lucky to make a video of the ice calving.
Mike was our devoted safety guardian, adventure facilitator, restless guide, experienced pilot, and creative photographer.
No words or even pictures can truly reflect the whole experience.
I would definitely recommend this tour to anyone.

Reviewed July 29, 2018 via mobile

Our pilot was Lee, and we couldn't have asked for a more wonderful, interesting, and genuine experience... This tour is worth the money, I wished we would have picked the longer tour...1hr went past too quickly. Landing on the glacier was a very unique and serene.....

Reviewed July 29, 2018 via mobile

Had a great time! I don’t like flying in small aircraft but Leigh made it so stress free and fun! We had a great time we flew up to Valdez Glazier. Spent time up there And drank the water and just listened to the sounds. We had a great time and it was so smooth! Thanks again Leigh for making the trip so easy for me. Would highly recommend this trip. Glad we made it part of the Alaska experience

Reviewed July 7, 2018 via mobile

This was amazing. Leigh was very helpful in booking and our pilot Travis was wonderful. Our 5 and 1 year olds loved every second of it and so did we. Such an amazing experience from start to finish. Worth every penny and would highly recommend to anyone.

AKHeliFlyer, Owner at VSHelicopters Tours, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2018

Ahhh! Wonderful! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your fabulous review! Travis had a wonderful time with your family and I certainly enjoyed helping to facilitate that! Enjoy the rest of your time in Alaska and we hope to see you again one day! Thanks again! -Leigh

Reviewed June 29, 2018 via mobile

Tried to book a 1/2 day fishing trip
CHARTER and they wouldn’t accept anything less than full day price.
Money lost — money saved.

Economics 101 isn’t in their business plan. 55 miles away in a chopper.??
I’ll stick to boats & airplanes from now on .