“Awesome Time at Columbia Glacier”

Anadyr Adventures Day Trips
Ranked #4 of 17 Tours in Valdez
More attraction details
Owner description: Half day to 7 day wilderness kayaking expeditions departing from Valdez Alaska. Glacier kayaking at it's finest with small group sizes and naturalist trained guides.
Reviewed September 10, 2014

My experience with Anadyr Adventures on both the half-day kayak excursion and the 5-day kayaking voyage was great. The guides were very helpful, experienced, and chill all the way through. We saw amazing glaciers on both trips and got great footage of the glaciers/icebergs as well. We went to Columbia glacier and Glacier Island on the 5 day and saw bears, sea lions, salmon, puffins, even an orca! At some salmon berries, blueberries, and mussels too! We were blessed with some great weather thankfully and my partner and I felt at ease with our guide the whole time. She showed us some great spots to check out on Glacier Island. It was really a wonderful experience. I was going to say once in a lifetime, but I may be going back next year. Much thanks to Anadyr.

1  Thank MBeezy2014
"bay trip"
"fantastic guide"
"experience level"

Reviewed September 10, 2014

We visited in June 2013. We had picked a day visit out to Columbia glacier. I was very nervous of sea kayaking, and both my husband and I were complete beginners. After some initial steering issues (blame the Husband!!) we were off and navigating around house-sized icebergs. It was an incredible awe-inspiring experience. Our guide was really calm and chilled and explained everything really well. He even had a big supply of chocolate. The water was very still, with the exception of the odd small wave as a massive car-sized chunk of ice would break off. Our picnic lunch was serene. We then opted to explore the coast in search of wildlife. We didn't get to see bears, but did see eagles and sea otters as well as beautiful waterfalls. I didn't want the day to end.

A couple of tips for you... If it is a sunny day wear lots and lots of sunscreen and make sure you have adequate layers so you can keep cool. I got really burnt an had an odd sunglasses tan for the rest of our holiday. Also, make sure you have your camera handy AT ALL TIMES even on the boat journey there and back. I didn't and I missed getting shots of sea lions, sea otters and humpback whales.

1  Thank ponyponypony
Reviewed September 7, 2014

We booked the noon trip with Anadyr to the Valdez glacier. When we reached they told us the tour had been cancelled due to windy conditions. They had decided to cancel the tour earlier only. I was not happy they did not call me ahead to tell me. I could have planned something else. They did refund my money but I came to Valdez all the way to do this and disappointed I couldnt do this.

1  Thank SagarSavla
Lee S, General Manager at Anadyr Adventures Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2014

The winds came up. There was nothing in the weather forecast that indicated it wouldn't be safe to paddle. We had a 10AM tour that arrived on site at 10:30 and found unsafe paddling conditions. We brought that trip back, offered to do the tour the next day if they wanted and refunded money to those who's schedule wouldn't allow that. This client arrived for a noon trip as we were finishing up refunds to the earlier trip. We explained the situation, offered a tour the next day and refunded the trip price when the client didn't like that option.
With all due respect this is a model for how to handle a trip cancelled due to unexpected weather conditions. Calling him might have saved 20 minutes of his time but would have taken away from other clients time who were waiting for their refund -and who had already spent an hour of prep and travel only to be cancelled
I sympathize with his bad luck but don't feel anything could have been done differently. We had a bit of bad luck that day ourselves, refunding $2200 dollars for trips we had already paid all the prep expenses for. It's the only day we've had to cancel Valdez Glacier trips for weather on this season.
The other thing I'd point out is that September is a great time to visit Alaska. Less crowds, periods of quite nice weather,prices lower in a lot of cases. HOWEVER -many tour operators have shut down, and the weather can be unstable. If you come then, I'd suggest being flexible with your itinerary. This client indicated frustration to us because this was one of a string of activities that had been weather impacted. Leave some time to account for weather. There are great hiking trails around Valdez . Come for a couple days and do something else if one day doesn't work out. Go to places because you want to see them, not because you want to do one specific activity at one specific time. It will work out better and you'll have a better time.

Reviewed September 4, 2014

We went out to Valdez and Columbia glazier with Anadyr and had a great time. Knowledgeable, social and funny guides that made this amazing nature experience even better! Friendly and helping service at their office too!

1  Thank Friper
See more reviews
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We can understand that this trip is weather dependent and therefore late cancellations are inevitable sometimes but if you are prepared to take that risk and you can get out there, then this trip is a must. You don't need to be super fit but be prepared for the cold regardless of what it's like when you set off from Valdez. The experience of kayaking amongst the "bergs" is humbling. Take heed of the advice of not getting too close as they can roll over. Whilst having lunch on the beach we witnessed one just do exactly that, and it happens very quickly without warning. Phenomenal experience. Not cheap mind !

2  Thank Ali921