“Exceeded Expectations!”

Anadyr Adventures Day Trips
Ranked #4 of 17 Tours in Valdez
More attraction details
Owner description: Half day to 7 day wilderness kayaking expeditions departing from Valdez Alaska. Glacier kayaking at it's finest with small group sizes and naturalist trained guides.
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was our first time in Alaska and my wife picked out Anadyr as the main focus of our 4-day trip just based on the Trip Advisor reviews. We went towards the end of May and we were worried that it would still be a little cold but we got lucky with sunny warm weather. We did the two day kayak trip with one night of camping. We were able to kayak to the base of the glacier and it was such a sight! We ended up camping just off the beach. After we set up our tents, our guide Darcy studied her tide charts while keeping an eye on the tide. She came to the conclusion that our tents needed to be moved up a couple feet into the snow to avoid a flood. Well at about 2:00am I woke up to water sloshing nearby, I looked outside and the water was a foot away from our tent, I also noticed Darcy standing just outside our tent keeping an eye on the tent. The tide peaked just inches from our tent, she marked it with a stick and told me it's receding now and went to bed. Anadyr Adventures staffs well educated, amazingly caring people and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a breath-taking, raw Alaskan adventure!

-Glenn, Kansas City

"bay trip"
"fantastic guide"
"experience level"

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We went to the Valdez glacier kayaking in a sunny windy day. It was a lifetime experience. 4 of us had a private tour due to the low tourists. The guide was very friendly. She took us all the ice caves and amazing tunnels. The blue iceberg and crystal like iceberg were all took our breath away. We spent all our time padding which was we want. Took a lot of pictures with the guide's help.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We visited the Columbia Glacier with Anadyr and had a great trip. The guides were knowledgeable and personable throughout the trip. They accommodated the diverse group well throughout the day. The trip was perfect for our foursome as we had experience and novice kayakers. The experience at the glacier and ice cave was amazing- we will never forget it! Definitely wear lots of layers- it was in the 70's when we left Valdez, but the glacier's winds are very chilly!

1  Thank burn0279
Reviewed September 3, 2012

we booked the 6 hour kayak trip to valdez glacier and it was so much fun! you begin the day by paddling around the icebergs to explore the glacier lake, walk around on an iceberg, and then stop at the actual glacier for a lunch break and to hike on the glacier. this was such a great way to experience a glacier, you even get to kayak into glacier caves! and the paddling is easy, you don't need any particular experience for it. our guides were very friendly and told us a lot about the history of valdez and the glacier. make sure you wear warm clothes (layer socks!!!). the tour cost about $120 per person - definitely worth it!

3  Thank kavienna
See more reviews
Reviewed August 29, 2012

First and foremost before I booked this trip, I was told the all day Columbia Glacier trip was the best to see whales, possibly bears and even moose along the way.

When I got there I got a different story as to not expect much of what I was told, but to expect wildlife in the form of seals, sea lions, sea otters and some birds.

This brought me some disappointment was I really wanted to be kayaking next to whales and my expectations for the trip was pretty low.

Maybe that was a good thing because I had a blast. It was even raining most of the time and it was still enjoyable. Kayaking on the coast, taking a hike thru the forest to see some lakes and water systems, then kayaking thru the ice bergs and then stopping for lunch with a great view, it was all awesome.

Our guide, who we talked to about everything but ice bergs/glaciers was great too. When the conversation turned to glaciers and ice bergs she seemed to know her stuff. Her name was Audrian (may have mispelled that one), and she is highly recommended as is the trip.

One other thing, you do have to bring your own lunch, and this is a good idea since it's basically an all day outing. thankfully the local safeway opens at 4 am and serves awesome sub sandwiches.

3  Thank jasonholzworth