“shoup 2 day glacier tour”

Anadyr Adventures Day Trips
Ranked #4 of 17 Tours in Valdez
More attraction details
Owner description: Half day to 7 day wilderness kayaking expeditions departing from Valdez Alaska. Glacier kayaking at it's finest with small group sizes and naturalist trained guides.
Reviewed June 8, 2012

My friend and I did a 2 day overnight kayak tour to shoup glacier this year with the guide Peter. It was amazing! The weather was initially rainy but then became sunny and beautiful. Our guide was very helpful and informed. He taught us quite a bit about kayaking, camping, and alaskan nature/wildlife. He really took good care of us and an amazing cook ( we even got recipes from him). Shoup glacier is relatively stable so we were able to get up close to its face as opposed to columbia glacier. I highly recommend this trip for the full alaskan experience. Definitely the highlight of the trip!

All reviews
"bay trip"
"fantastic guide"
"experience level"

Reviewed June 4, 2012

Every year since college, our chaotic large group (about 10 people) goes on a major weeklong backpacking or hiking trip somewhere in the continental US. For our tenth trip, we decided to go big and as one part of it, we found Anadyr Adventures for their four day Glacier Island/Columbia Glacier tour. This is our first trip sea kayaking although most of us have basic paddling experience and our first trip with guides so we communicated with them a lot beforehand by email and phone, every question was answered completely and well. We were a little apprehensive about whether the guides would be too summer-camp-counselor-y and we were a little concerned about the weather because we saw rain in the forecast (apparently there is always rain in the Alaska weather forecast :) ).

Wow, wow, wow, though. Our concerns were addressed completely by having fun, interactive, and really educated guides (one of them gave us a little lesson about the geology of glaciers which was great) and being outfitted in really good equipment, rain gear and boots and agile tandem kayaks. Our guides busted their butts every night and morning setting up hot meals for us and helping with our boats. All day every day they were a good safe presence, keeping us in more or less a group but suggesting fun places to go under a waterfall or leading us through a pod of sea lions who swam around our boats and had a conversation. We saw bald eagles and whales and a million otters and seals, and I have never seen an iceberg calve at such short range!!! Will definitely do again, this trip made my year.

1  Thank elidorelidor
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I opted for the kayaking tour of the Columbia Glacier. It was fantastic! The tour consisted of an orientation to kayaking, gearing people up, then taking the water taxi close to the glacier, followed by several hours of kayaking PWS and close to the glacier. I was hoping to get close to the terminus of the glacier, however, since it was May, there many icebergs in the water, and it appeared the face of the glacier was still miles away. Nevertheless, it was still fun to kayak past massive icebergs.

It is bring your own lunch style, so prepare to bring your own lunch. I have kayaked in various places around the world with different outfitters and a suggestion to Anadyr would to bring some snacks to offer to clients (maybe brownies or cookies or something like that).

The day starts at the office at 8 and you are back by 6 o'clock. There is a total of about 4 hours of kayaking, I'd say.

All in all, it seems to be a good outfitter. Their main competitor was not open when I went, so I opted for Anadyr.

I went with 4 stars vs. 5 stars because the main owner just didn't seem that friendly (typical Alaskan attitude of "take it or leave it" which I can't stand about this place). Smile buddy, you're in the service industry!!!

All in all, it's all good. The guide Jonathan was super cool so I give him mad props.

2  Thank voodoo-d
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Like good tourists, two senior couples reserved a kayak trip ahead of time and sent a substantial downpayment. We were forced to sign an agreement if we wanted to reserve a space which required payment in full and they kept our credit card number. On the day of the reservation, the ferry system was shut down because of high winds and waves (coast guard warning) and it had been raining hard. Anadyr insisted that they were going and regardless of our age, they said we had to pay. Incidentally I exchanged e-mails with the owner about our age and physical condition prior to making the reservation. Anadyr charged us IN FULL and we never even went! $600 per couple!

12  Thank Jeri S
Lee S, Manager at Anadyr Adventures Day Trips, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2012

I'm puzzled by this review for the following reasons. 1) We do not have a day trip that costs $300 a person. 2) In 23years I don't know of a single trip we've done when the ferries are shut down for weather. We are very conservative about weather and do not run trips if there are weather service advisories for the trip route. 3) The owner is 64 years old; we are quite age sensitive and do not send people on trips she wouldn't go on.
I'd appreciate dates and backing for the trip reviewed because it does not seem to match a trip that we did.
That said, we do have a cancellation policy, clients get that policy when booking and we do enforce that policy if there is not a good reason for cancellation. We might enforce it twice a year. We train our guides to keep people comfortable in rainy weather and we provide rain gear to clients who don't have it. If you don't want to do something if it's raining, I'd agree -don't book in advance and take your chances - that way we have a fair chance to sell those seats to someone else. I also regularly advise clients to be prepared for weather extremes coming to Alaska and to do things even when it's not sunny. After all, if you are going to sit in a hotel room and look out the window, there's cheaper places to do it than Alaska.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We booked the day Columbia Glacier kayak tour months before our trip, after reading the excellent reviews that it had on trip advisor, and it lived up to the reviews! Our guide was Ethan and he was excellent. We were lucky to be the only ones on the tour as it was the end of the season. We lucked out that the weather held- 40-50 and overcast but no rain. You are supplied with rain suites and boots- but be sure to dress warm enough with winter hats, gloves and long johns, as the area surrounding the glacier is about 10 degrees colder than Valdez. Seeing the icebergs up close is such an experience. The colors are splendid and they roll and dip as the tide comes in and raises the water level. We then paddled to Heather Bay and saw a spectacular water fall in the midst of a rain forest. I could have watched it all day- just mesmerizing. The water taxi trip was great as well- seeing seals and the beautiful scenery of the Valdez harbor and bay. Certainly a must do in our opinion. Although, folks that were also staying at our B&B who took a tour with another company were disappointed. They were expecting larger and more numerous icebergs and much to our dismay where not impressed with the waterfalls. To each their own, but we certainly thought the entire day was spectacular and would highly recommend Anadyr Adventures.

4  Thank bikerhiker08