Open today: 8:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Review Highlights
Glacier Island to Columbia Face

The entire trip was a fantastic adventure. Each day showed us a different side of Glacier Island... read more

Reviewed September 15, 2018
eikiba111
Charleston, South Carolina
Glacier Island kayak adventure

I went on this kayaking tour and it did not disappoint! If you are looking for up close encounters... read more

Reviewed September 4, 2018
alanaleet
via mobile

All reviews valdez glacier hot chocolate ice cave kayak trip bagels rain gear inflatable kayaks rubber boots prince william sound fantastic guide she loves sea kayaking entire group warm up trip takes interesting formations fun kayaking
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I opted for the kayaking tour of the Columbia Glacier. It was fantastic! The tour consisted of an orientation to kayaking, gearing people up, then taking the water taxi close to the glacier, followed by several hours of kayaking PWS and close to the glacier. I was hoping to get close to the terminus of the glacier, however, since it was May, there many icebergs in the water, and it appeared the face of the glacier was still miles away. Nevertheless, it was still fun to kayak past massive icebergs.

It is bring your own lunch style, so prepare to bring your own lunch. I have kayaked in various places around the world with different outfitters and a suggestion to Anadyr would to bring some snacks to offer to clients (maybe brownies or cookies or something like that).

The day starts at the office at 8 and you are back by 6 o'clock. There is a total of about 4 hours of kayaking, I'd say.

All in all, it seems to be a good outfitter. Their main competitor was not open when I went, so I opted for Anadyr.

I went with 4 stars vs. 5 stars because the main owner just didn't seem that friendly (typical Alaskan attitude of "take it or leave it" which I can't stand about this place). Smile buddy, you're in the service industry!!!

All in all, it's all good. The guide Jonathan was super cool so I give him mad props.

2  Thank voodoo-d
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Like good tourists, two senior couples reserved a kayak trip ahead of time and sent a substantial downpayment. We were forced to sign an agreement if we wanted to reserve a space which required payment in full and they kept our credit card number. On the day of the reservation, the ferry system was shut down because of high winds and waves (coast guard warning) and it had been raining hard. Anadyr insisted that they were going and regardless of our age, they said we had to pay. Incidentally I exchanged e-mails with the owner about our age and physical condition prior to making the reservation. Anadyr charged us IN FULL and we never even went! $600 per couple!

12  Thank Jeri S
Lee S, Manager at Anadyr Adventures Sea Kayaking and Hiking, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2012

I'm puzzled by this review for the following reasons. 1) We do not have a day trip that costs $300 a person. 2) In 23years I don't know of a single trip we've done when the ferries are shut down for weather. We are very conservative about weather and do not run trips if there are weather service advisories for the trip route. 3) The owner is 64 years old; we are quite age sensitive and do not send people on trips she wouldn't go on.
I'd appreciate dates and backing for the trip reviewed because it does not seem to match a trip that we did.
That said, we do have a cancellation policy, clients get that policy when booking and we do enforce that policy if there is not a good reason for cancellation. We might enforce it twice a year. We train our guides to keep people comfortable in rainy weather and we provide rain gear to clients who don't have it. If you don't want to do something if it's raining, I'd agree -don't book in advance and take your chances - that way we have a fair chance to sell those seats to someone else. I also regularly advise clients to be prepared for weather extremes coming to Alaska and to do things even when it's not sunny. After all, if you are going to sit in a hotel room and look out the window, there's cheaper places to do it than Alaska.

Reviewed September 14, 2011

We booked the day Columbia Glacier kayak tour months before our trip, after reading the excellent reviews that it had on trip advisor, and it lived up to the reviews! Our guide was Ethan and he was excellent. We were lucky to be the only ones on the tour as it was the end of the season. We lucked out that the weather held- 40-50 and overcast but no rain. You are supplied with rain suites and boots- but be sure to dress warm enough with winter hats, gloves and long johns, as the area surrounding the glacier is about 10 degrees colder than Valdez. Seeing the icebergs up close is such an experience. The colors are splendid and they roll and dip as the tide comes in and raises the water level. We then paddled to Heather Bay and saw a spectacular water fall in the midst of a rain forest. I could have watched it all day- just mesmerizing. The water taxi trip was great as well- seeing seals and the beautiful scenery of the Valdez harbor and bay. Certainly a must do in our opinion. Although, folks that were also staying at our B&B who took a tour with another company were disappointed. They were expecting larger and more numerous icebergs and much to our dismay where not impressed with the waterfalls. To each their own, but we certainly thought the entire day was spectacular and would highly recommend Anadyr Adventures.

4  Thank bikerhiker08
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We kayaked Columbia Glacier and it was an amazing day. We booked it the day before and the weather was so horrible that we had our doubts about how our day was going to be. But even with bad weather the experience is worth it and you don't know if the weather is going to change (Alaska weather!)! We started our day with very bad weather and we ended it with a bright sunshine.
They provide you with enough rain gear to cover all your needs. Although the gear was quite used, it served its purpose.
Ethan, our guide, was very nice and helpful. He guided us through the best places to appreciate the ice blocks colors and shapes, the scenery, etc. And he gave us a lot of info about glaciers, ice formations...
Be aware that they need at least 4 people to make it because Columbia Glacier is far from Valdez.

Reviewed July 25, 2011

Jonathon was our tour guide for the Valdez glacier kayak tour and he was great! Very professional, knowledgable and open for special requests. It was 50 degrees with light rain and fog, but honestly, we did not notice. The glaciers were so blue and the sceniery was beathtaking. Would recommend this day trip for anyone!

1  Thank NurseGypsy