“One of the better ones!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Resta Reef Resort

Resta Reef Resort
Ranked #17 of 74 Hotels in Marsa Alam
“One of the better ones!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We were 6 uk divers and had a week in the resta reef hotel. Between us we have stayed in many Egyptian hotels and overall this was one of the better ones. We only spent a limited time in the place as we were diving during the day, however we would "debrief" every evening before having dinner, and were there for most mornings for breakfast.
They have an Emperor dive centre on site, which was pretty seamless, which I reviewed separately, but is an important plus if you are diving.

The positives for the Resta reef are as follows;

reception and room transfer was very good. Considering there was a lot of new people we were in our room within 25 minutes of arrival. And reception was good the whole week. The staff were polite, friendly and efficient.

The rooms were pretty good, being large & spacious with a decent balcony and bathroom. Water was left each day, very important in a such a hot country, even in winter.

Food was plentiful and all the guys enjoyed the food standard and the choices. The waiters for the most part, happy to help. Breakfast was pretty good, with plenty on offer, and you could order a lunch/breakfast pack if you had an early start.

The animation team and entertainment was excellent, probably the best I've seen in Egypt, so applausee! to all of them, they certainly made a difference to so many peoples holiday. Well done Charlotte (thompson rep), keep up the fire dancing (singy m**$*y!)

Check out was as smooth as check-in and the thompson reps were excellent.

The only negative was the bar service, now I understand that Egypt is a relatively poor country and I'm quite happy to tip staff, particularly those that are giving me beer. However I think that tipping should be after decent service has been given, not before a drink has been served. it may of been that because we were 6 mates together some of the bar staff took a dislike to us I dont know, but some of these guys could not even look you in the eye when you asked for a drink. They would be awkward in their approach to the rules on one drink being finished before ordering another, then a different barman would not bother as we were in a group. Some of the bar guys were perfectly charming, others were ignorant and seemed happy to try to intimidate, I cant give the names because they change their name tags, I wonder why!
I think they need to go to the same people that taught the animation staff how to deal with people, the hotel would get an extra star.
Just a last point, if you go to the disco, its not worth asking for a request as the DJ will ask you to pay him, apparantly he worked in London and felt that he was undervalued at the Resta reef.

Overall, the hotel was very good value and I would recommend it for a winter break, certainly families would enjoy it, and it is a good choice for divers..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Malcdives

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We have been to Egypt 10 times also a lot of other places around the world but now choose Egypt for distance and weather so we have a broad experience.
I can honestly say the Resta Reef has the friendliest most hard working staff we have met anywhere always smiling and cheerful and willing to have a chat and a laugh.
When we arrived we were welcomed with a cold drink check in was very fast and we were shown to our room cases arrived fairly quick considering there was a full coach load of new arrivals.
The room was clean and comfortable good aircon, a fridge which is a bonus you dont usually get, safe in room no extra charge, big walk in shower with hot water when ever we used it toiletries that were very good unless your fussy dont bother to take them other than conditioner, a really good hair dryer probably the best I've had anywhere on holiday, clean sheets and towels every day our room was cleaned daily to high standard by the lovely Mohammed who also split the beds for us with a smile and left flowers in the room several times.
If like us you like an early morning cup of tea or coffee you can get a tray in the room with kettle, cups an extra bottle of water tea bags, coffee sachets, and creamer sachets its an extra charge but not expensive and saves taking your own we took extra teabags and went to supermarket across road for milk.
The buffet restaurant was very good food always fresh and hot its the only place I've seen a chef go round with food thermometer checking, I have a very delicate stomach and I had no problems I did use the gel at the door and washed my hands frequently didnt drink alcohol during the day but did drink plenty of fluids all comon sense really.
We celebrated our aniversary while there and had the romantic meal pool side I must thank Mohammed (a different one to the room boy) for all his hard work making it so special with candles all round and his attentive but not intrusive service the meal was delishious, he was also in the buffet and made a point of speaking to us every day asking if everything was ok, thanks again Mohammed
The cliff top sun bathing area for adults only is great so quiet and usually a lovely breeze just remember to slap on a high factor sunscreen as you dont realise how hot it is.
Fabio and Charlotte from the entertainments team are lovely ( as are all the team but I cant remember all the names sorry x) they spoke to us every day and had a laugh with us even though we didnt join in their games
The terrace bar is a lovely place to relax after a hard day sun bathing a few beers served in a GLASS not a plastic beaker thanks Ahmed and all the boys lovely music from the DJ (sorry another name we cant remember) dont miss Sundays and Wednesdays with the brilliant Hayley a really good vocalist.
There are a few shops in the reception area,a few next door in the Grand and a few across the road but more will be opening soon along the front of the Grand the buildings were there but not quite finished.
And last but not least a big THANK YOU to Sherif (manager) and Rammy (assistant manager) for making this hotel so good all being well we will be back in march see you then
Pam & Joe
A quick footnote
Yes the buildings are showing their age but hey thats life when you think of the amount of people who have stayed here over the years there's going to be bumps n chips but it didnt spoil it, they dont claim to be 5* but the service certainly is, they were about to start refurbishing the rooms when we left so watch this space I'm sure someone will say they've done it soon

1 Thank Lannia
Vilnius
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

In short, the hotel and the territory is great. Regarding the number of stars given for the level of the hotel and the prices - great deal. Loved the territory and the idea of staying in mini house-rooms instead of infinity - stores building. The main building of the complex is relatively not too big, which makes it really Egyptian-arabian cozy - like home!

Yet the most precious part of Resta Reef is the staff! Service in English and really western service approach. Amazing people, that would help in every step, would have more patience than anyone could imagine, very ethic and moral based, really polite and giving already family-like feeling over the first days of stay! Great hotel to dedicate your selves to snorkeling (the private beach coast of the hotels has beautiful coral reef), relaxation, leaving all possible civilization behind and enjoying sun to the fullest. And don't forget the food - the chefs and canteen staff are amazing, have international work experience, prepares wide variety of foods each time and the best part is that the food varies from japanese raw, very authentic african to complete american! Yet my personal favorite was SWEETS!!!! A must have at Resta Reef!
Last but not least, exclusive thanx to Mahmoud, Ahmed and Abdo!

Room Tip: I would definitely recommend either two stores closer to the coast or one store (more private) build...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank EgleAR
Watford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed at the Resta Reef for 2 weeks from 7th November & had the best time, the hotel does show it's age in places, but everywhere is clean, & the staff really make you feel welcome.
Transfer from the airport 10 minutes max, & the check in was smooth & fast with a nice cold Welcome drink. We were given directions to our room which we found easily, & our cases arrived very quickly. The room was a lot better than I was expecting, the walk in shower was powerful, & there was always really hot water. I had no problems with the hair dryer in fact it was one of the best I've used on holiday, & the toiletries were an unexpected bonus. The air con worked really well, & the bed was firm & comfortable with clean sheets every day.
On our first night in the Buffet Restaurant we were shown to a table & immediately greeted by Mohamed to take our drink order, he seemed genuinely pleased to see us, & everytime we used the restaurant during our stay he went out of his way to talk to us & check everything was ok. He never stopped, but was always smiling, & seemed really happy in his work. This was the impression I got from all the Hotel staff, they all worked really hard, & took pride in their job.
The Resta Reef ticked all the boxes for me, the food was always fresh, regularly refilled, & a good choice - with snacks available between meal times ( the ice cream was Yum!! )
We never had any problems finding a sun bed & I loved the Adults only area which also had a hammock.
Fabio in animation was really friendly, he spoke to us every day even though we didn't join in with his games.
Free Wi Fi in reception area was a bonus
We Loved it, & are planning our next holiday here.

4 Thank woofit
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed at the Resta Reef from 7th November for two weeks,wish it had been longer.Quick transfer from the airport,cold drink to welcome you,fast check-in with the friendly reception staff.Escorted to the room,luggage arrived minutes after us.Good facilities in the room,safe,air-con,fridge,and TV.Probably the most powerful shower we have experienced in Egypt,and always hot water whatever the time of day.Rooms were cleaned each day,to a very high standard,clean towels and sheets everyday.The hotel has a great atmosphere to it,there are lots of different areas to sunbath,two pools,an over 16`s area,large beach with umbrellas,and some well tended gardens,and a big terrace.The All Inclusive package is really good,breakfast,lunch and dinner in buffet style restaurant,late breakfast at the beach bar,and afternoon snacks also at the beach bar,with food in the Casa late afternoon.Drinks are freely available,the staff usually have them waiting for you as you approach the bar.The staff really do make the Resta Reef,always friendly,and love to chat with you,just wish that some guests would treat them with a little bit more respect,and not talk down to them.We have stayed several times at the Resta Grande next door,and the Resta Reef definitely puts it in the shade,in terms of service and atmosphere.The snorkelling is amazing off the jetty,and we were lucky enough to get off the jetty several times,white flags were first thing in the morning,but some days were yellow flags all day.There were a few black flag days,where the jetty was closed,but we were aware this could happen.

Overall,The Resta Reef is one of our favourite hotels we have stayed in during our many visits to Egypt,it has great atmosphere,wonderful staff,and is good value for money.....we`ll be back!!

Room Tip: Stayed in room 3042,overlooking pools,great patio for afternoon sun,quiet room ,on edge of resort,bu...
5 Thank TheKoiKeeper
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

just got back from 2 weeks holiday at the resta reef resort had a fantastic time weather was nice the staff were fantastic very helpfull, the entertainment was great, staff included you in all activities would deffinatly go back to the resta reef resort, would like to say a huge thankyou to all the staff at the resort for making my holiday a fantastic one.

Room Tip: pool view or sea view all the rooms are nice and comfortable and clean
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank norma b
Los Angeles, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I'm certain we were the only American's at the resort while we stayed, so our opinion could be a bit more biased...

Resta Reef, as a Resort Hotel I really want to give it a higher rating just because I know how hard the staff works and because of how nice and conversational they were, but there were a few things that were very unpleasant. So, here are some tips.

1) Food: When we first arrived, we liked the fresh produce bar, and thought the rest of the buffet was ok. But after that it was the the bubbly guts for us. On our last night, my boyfriend not only got the bubbly guts, but food poisoning as well, he was up all night puking = ( So, here's a tip I wish I knew, take the local diarrhea medicine as soon as you arrive if you want to eat food. They sell it at the pharmacy next door at the Resta Grand( Anticil, or antacid is the name???) I don't know if it's the water, or the sauces, the fish or what, but I would cut certain things out but still had the bubbly guts. I cannot solely blame Resta, it might just be Egypt because we even ate at a 5 star restaurant on one of our excursions to Luxor and still had Montezuma's Revenge...

2) The "Hustle": Beware of friendly conversation, or tea invites because it's going to end with the worst hustle of your life! I know they are trying to make money, but they are the pushiest people I have ever seen! If you are just trying to browse, it's not going to happen, just get what you're looking for, ask for the price, and be firm that you don't want anything else! If the price sounds absurd, it probably is. Just tell them you're not going to pay more than $__ and walk away, they'll probably chase after you and say ok. If you go out on an excursion to Luxor for example, it's even worse. Be firm, and say no.

3) Tipping: As an American we are accustomed to tipping, but our friends told us that they don't really tip here because the clientele is mainly Italians, and then Germans/English/ Russians. But I did notice(since we were traveling with the Italian group) that they do tip the Drivers, of a tour or a Safari Excursion. I do recommend maybe leaving a couple of Euro's in your room for the cleaning service and maybe tipping your service waiter if they were very helpful.

4) Spa: I wouldn't do it again! First of all, they hustled me to get it. I talked the price down to something reasonable which is why I even did it, so do hustle back ; - ) I was suppose to get an hour massage with face mask, foot/hand scrub and steam room. I got 45 min. of massage with face mask and then they tell me I'm done! Ummm no! I asked for my scrub and steam room, they say tomorrow, or ok "now," but very uncomfortably pushy, to where I didn't even want to come back. The girl who did the massage was very sweet, nothing against her, but I wanted it harder and I tried to communicate that but she didn't understand. It was weird undressing to my bathing bikini in front of her, but I guess that's the thing to do out here. The mask was worthless. I wanted to leave a tip for her, but she was with someone else, and I didn't feel comfortable leaving it with the guys who were at the front. So, do leave directly with your masseuse!

Beach: Do bring water shoes, goggles and a snorkel. This is the best part of the trip, seeing the lovely life under the sea = )

I think that's about is as far as tips for traveling here. On a positive note, the water is beautiful, and we were really lucky to have perfect weather to relax at the beach our first few days. The beach is what made it all worth it, plus the Ancient Ruins in Luxor.

Hope this helps = )