“Fantastic Hotel and Great Location”
Review of Jaz Lamaya Resort

Jaz Lamaya Resort
Ranked #6 of 68 Hotels in Marsa Alam
Reviewed April 28, 2010

This was our 1st time to the Red Sea and wanted a really nice, quiet hotel that we could spend a week relaxing. The hotel is fantastic, 10 minutes from the airport to the hotel. You are met by staff for a stress free check in with a cold drink and towels. The baggage is taken direct to your room so you are free to explore.

The rooms are large, well laid out and equipped. The hotel is well planned and laid out around the pools. The staff are all very friendly and nothing is too much effort. I waited no longer than 2 minutes to be served at the bar.

The food was great, with plenty of choice, all very fresh and well presented. A lot of the food is freshly prepared for you, try the fresh melon....

I spend 3 days diving with Coraya bay divers, located just outside the hotel. A very good dive school and well priced.

The hotel run massage and spa was good, although a bit pricey.

Overall it is a fantastic hotel, with very dedicated staff and management team, where nothing is too much effort.

We have re-booked to go back again in December.

Gary & Toni Dagnall

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dags12
There are newer reviews for Jaz Lamaya Resort

Reviewed April 26, 2010

This was our second trip to the Lamaya and will be our last. The room smelt of cigarettes and insecticide and are in need of a face-lift. There were many rooms where headboards and draws had been put on the balcony. The dinning room staff were always very busy as was the dinning room. Although you could always find something to eat choice and quality were not to the five star rating/price. Also a little upset about the size of the queues for cooked eggs at breakfast, pasta at lunch and ice cream, chips and melon at dinner. Previous visits to the Lamaya and Coraya necessitated that guests dressed appropriately for dinner. This is no longer the case I was surprised some guests did not wear their snorkeling equipment as many of them looked like they had come straight from the beach. Please try the Itallian and Oriental resturants at Sol Y Mar (the next hotel) it is only 10 euro each and the food is very good. The beach bar also offers good fresh food with a great service. The pool was closed on several ocassions due to faeces in the pool. The water park is worth a visit and only a short walk away. Caught a bacterial infection so did not eat for the last week (however, this could have happened anywhere and is not a reflection on the hotel) The entertainment was not too bad and the animation team worked very hard to keep the guests entertained. There were lots of Russians at the hotel but always found them polite. There were lots of positives on the holiday; good weather, beautiful surroundings, great staff.

Reviewed April 15, 2010

We stayed at this hotel 25th March to 1st April and to be honest we were very very disappointed. It was not what we expected. The pool area and beach area is lovely and kept clean. The restaurant near to the beach is the best place to eat freshly made pizzas etc.

I totally agree with the comments made recently about the restaurant. It is absolute chaos. Children running around unsupervised and touching all the food, although not the fault of the hotel it could have been managed. I did feel sorry for the waiting staff as they worked very hard. I also agree that the senior management don't do enough other than walk around watching the waiters.

The head boards are a health hazard as are the beds, I do not believe that the previous problems with bed bugs has been rectified, the rooms have wicker furniture, bed bases and headboards which is probably a breeding ground for bugs.

Two days into the holiday I develpoed a stomach upset and eventually had to visit the doctor who was very pleasant and helpful but it costs me 95 euros.

I was also bitten and a rash appeared on both my arms, this rash still has not gone and I have had to see a doctor who is treating me for scabies. I am extremely upset about this and would like to warn travellers of what to expect at this hotel. My sister who was with me on holiday also has a rash and is currently being treated with antibiotics. We both feel that the rash and bites are as a result of sleeping in the beds. For the last two nights we slept on top of the beds with the bathrobes over us.

The management said that the rooms were cleaned thoroughly between gusets hence the terrible smell, our headboards were out on the balcony from the minute we arrived. We saw headboards being carried around throughout the day, probably being taken to be sprayed with chemicals.

We did speak to a manager about our problems and he arranged for us to have a complimentary meal at a neighbouring restaurant and the use of the room until we left for our flight home.

This is not something I would expect at a Platinum Hotel, I couldn't wait to get home

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 14, 2010

Brilliant hotel, brilliant staff, food poor. Food aimed at Germans and Russians.
Not enugh staff in the restaurant, hard lines if a family of four as all tables set for two people so spent time getting some one to set the table up for four. We would have returned to this hotel another year if the food had been good quality. The animation team were great (Suzie and Alex) especially. The hotel did not cater (activities) for 11yr - 15 yrs. It was either Kids club or adults. The water park adjoining the hotel was brilliant, free entry.

Reviewed April 11, 2010

We just returned from Lamaya and I have to share our experience. To start with, I am definitely not the type of person that would complain about everything. In fact, this is my very first complaint about a hotel I stayed in.

I would call this hotel " A hotel full of contrasts". To start with what was good:

Beach:
As we love snorkelling, this was a great choice for us - the hotel has one of the best coral reefs we have seen - you can access the reef easily from a jetty and you are immediately surrounded by wonderful corals and plenty of fish. My husband met huge baracuda and moray eel (each 1,5m long), as well as a turtle and octopus, all just snorkelling around the bay. The photos attached represent just a very small sample (we ended up with some 2,000 photos under the water...). The water was very clean, however, most of the days it was very windy and the waves reduced the visibility significantly. We were told that this is a typical weather for April month - be aware of that if you plan to snorkle and take pictures under water.

Pool:
The pool was incredibly clean! I always use swimming glasses when swimming and this was the first time I have not seen one single hair in the water, or anything else. Not a lot of chlorine, just clean water - excellent! There were several types of pools - unlike in some other hotels, there was one pool where you could actually swim - it was long and deep enough and people used the other pools for water aerobic or similar activities (ie there were only some 5 people in the swimming pool that was approx 50m long).

Service:
We travel a lot and this was one of the best service we experienced - the waiters were fast, friendly, always smilling, making jokes and not really expecting any tips. We never waited for our drink for more than 1 minute and when we gave them tip, they were very grateful. However, they very much deserved the tips!

And now what went wrong:
Rooms:
The very first moment we entered the room we noticed that something was terribly stinking! We opened the door to the terace and put the aircondition on. We could not identify what it was until we discovered that our neighbors removed part of the bed frame (made of rattan) and placed it outside their room. It was the bed frame (probably some disinfectant applied on it) that was terribly stinking. We did the same and afterwards we have seen that some 50% of rooms had the bed frames on their balconies or teraces as well... The smell was reduced, however, part of the bed frame was impossible to remove, therefore we had to live with it during the whole stay.. To continue with room, the bathroom was not really clean. There were remainings of a soap from a previous guest in the shower, not taken away - simply the cleaning guy did not even walk into the shower during the whole week. The floor was not cleaned properly, shower drain was dirty, dirty tiles, water from toilet was leaking... however, he made a towel statue every day ! I do NOT really care about any towel statues when my bathroom is dirty and my room is stinking! We provided feedback, however, nothing has changed...

Food and drinks:
Whenever we travel to any exotic destinations, we insist on a 5 star hotel in order to have a guarantee that the food will be clean and we will not get any health problems. I work in healthcare sector and have quite good overview of what kind of lifelong "presents" you can get when the hygiene is poor. At the beginning, we trusted our 5 star Iberotel to have high hygienic standards. (naturally, we did NOT drink the tap water, we even washed our teeth with mineral water, we did not have any ice in our drinks and we took lactobacilus pills every day as prevention). The very first day I realized that whatever food I take, the taste is very poor. Basically, not even a 2 star restaurant, I would call it a poor quality canteen. It simply seems that the chef is someone who does NOT like to eat and cook, he only has it in his job description. To give an example - tomato sauce on our pasta was just tomato sauce and oil. No oregano, no herbs, no taste. Chicken, or fish, or beef - simply tasteless. OK, I can accept if they do not serve seafood and other specialities (although I have experienced it being served in ALL 5 star hotels before), however, you can make excellent and tasty food from simple things as well - if you just try (good example is Italian and French cuisine). After 2 days I was so dissapointed with the food that I tried to invent something myself - I took a tablespoon full of chilli and put it into my meal. Even a tablespoon full of chilli was not spicy AT ALL ! I looked for oregano to make my meal taste better - there was no oregano (however, they had cinamon there instead - do you usually take it with your chicken or beef ?) . OK, I would manage that, however, after 3 days my husband got diarhea and I was very near to vomitting. That was the time that we started to be really worried- we started to eat just rice, bread and butter, baked potatoes, bananas and grilled chicken. As soon as we tried something else, we got the diarhea and near-to-vomitting feeling again. So, the last 3 days we were on diet! Being in 5 star hotel ! I usually gain 2 kg every time I stay in a 5 star hotel, this time I lost 1 kg. We tried to make reservation in the ala carte restaurant (there are 2 of them only, nothing else in the neighborhood). They were fully booked that day (Wednesday), having reservation of the whole restaurant for Thursday and Friday and we were going home on Saturday.... We had no other choice but to eat bread, butter, bananas and potatoes for next 3,5 days if we did not want to starve.... I nearly cried when I got my first civilized food on the plane back ! When it comes to drinks, be prepared that the wine is foamy, spirits (local production only) make you feel sick as soon as after the first drink, beer is awfull and gives you heartburn. You can drink water, tea (I recommend mint tea to help you with your stomach problems) and coffee. There is a small choice of imported drinks available (however, none of them included in all inclusive), and no imported wines, just local ones (having the experience with foamy wine, we did not try the bottled one). We took Stella beer (cost you cca 3 EUR) and Cognac (12 EUR per glass). You can get some whiskey, Bacardi, some imported gin and Martini, however, be prepared to pay at least 9 EUR per glass of each... I have heard a lot of people to say that stomach problems are frequent in Egypt, however, we did not expect them in a 5 star hotel ! This should simply not happen - no excuse!

To summarize it - we ended up starving, feeling sick and stressed. And we paid for vacation in 5 star hotel. I feel sorry for the waiters (because they do such an excellent job), but I will NEVER come back to this hotel or any hotel in Iberotel chain and I strongly doubt I will come back to Egypt either!

At the end just to give you a summary of 5 star hotels we stayed in before (for comparison) - Sun Island (Maldives), Le Cannonier (Mauritius), Paladium hotel (Dominican republic), Sol las Sirenas (Cuba), Sonesta Beach Resort (Miami), Sheraton (Sharm El Sheik Egypt) and some 20 other 5 star hotels all around Europe.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Devinka
Reviewed April 11, 2010

We booked this hotel with first choice as it was a Thomson platinum hotel this it is not!
I have never experienced such a poorly run restaurant, the quality of the food was terrible and the organisation was no existent. This restaurant was a complete disaster from morning to night, to many people trying to be fed all at the same time with not enough staff. Children being allowed to run riot and just helping themselves which is not the hotels fault, but it can be controlled. The hotel manager asked our thoughts and I explained the idea of adults with children eating before just adults so as to relieve the pressure on his staff, he just walked away.
The resort location is great with fine pools, but they need to be cleaned more often.
Only during the last 3 days of our 14 was the heated pool closed for a cleaning cycle.
My wife, my daughter and I all had a stomach upset during our time there; my wife is still poorly 8 days on holiday and now 4 days at home with some form of bacterial infection. The hotel doctor is great if you do fall ill.

The bar staff are extremely friendly and helpful as are most of the hotel staff.

The rooms are ok again not 5 star maybe 3 at a push, the headboards on the beds have been sprayed with something to kill insects, which made my nose burn at night. I soon noticed lots of headboards removed and put out side the rooms onto the balcony this was the correct move as the smell left the room with the headboards.

Also Thomson should tell British travellers that this hotel is full of Russians and if you have experienced this before you will know what I mean.

Reviewed April 5, 2010

Although this hotel was spotlessly clean and the staff could not do enough for you the one complaint was the food. I think they need a new chef . The food was just not cooked properly. Last year we went to Cuba and the food and selection was a hundred times better.
Apart from this no complaints. We had the usual tummy upsets like others but Samy got us Antinal which works a treat. Just beware of the spray they use on the chairs in the lounge it brought my friend up in a rash. Also as everyone says buy your visa at the bank in the Airport.
If you do just one trip do the camel ride into the desert by moonlight a truly unforgettable experience.
Congratulations to Joe, Susie and the rest of the gang, they were great.
Not 5 star though