“Excellent!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 72 Hotels in Marsa Alam
Chester, Cheshire
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2009

Having returned last week (staying All Inclusive in Room 1204) we could hardly fault this hotel, its staff and amenities. All the managers and staff were always on hand, very pleasant and helpful. The hotel is beautiful, the room was very comfortable, with presents on arrival, and a present being left each day. The food was plentiful and very varied and tasty - lots of choices, and of good quality too. The beach was lovely as the bay is beautiful, with crystal clear water and lots of different fish.
This hotel and service is pure luxury - a pillow menu to choose from, and while you are lounging on the beach, chefs offering melon, figs or bruchetta, and even a member of staff offering to clean your glasses! How decadent is that! Even the beach towels are replaced in your room while you are at dinner - superb service! We did the boat trip to see the coral and fishes which was brilliant, and ride quad bikes into the desert to watch the sunset which was amazing.
Although we did not use the internet or have the massage, we did use the free laundry service which was great - we came home with only 1 days washing!
Our only qualms were the uncomfortable flights as it was a First Choice plane and very hot and cramped. I advise not to pay the rep the extra £12 for 2 people to sit together as we were placed across the aisles - not together at all! And we did try the Italian meal at the Pomodoro restaurant but would not recommend this as it is a set menu and very disappointing. However the a la carte was very good but we could not fault the food anyway. In the evenings, if you need to be entertained then you will be left wanting! It was 35 degrees each day and really hot by 8am, however, the sunset was at 5.30 while we were there (7-14 October) and it seemed most people were ready for dinner by 6.30 - some needed to chill out and break the routine from home! And why complain about things you cannot get at home - this is a foreign country and you are only there a limited time!
Summing up, we had an excellent stay and highly compliment this hotel and staff. Having been to different resorts in Egypt 7 times before, this by far exceeded out expectations and will be returning to this hotel for our main holiday next year. Pure luxury!

1 Thank DelGirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (476)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
essex, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2009

Just returned from a week in Coraya bay, this hotel is definitely the best there albeit the most expensive. Guests predominately German, some Dutch, Italians Swiss and relativey few Brits. Nearly all couples and mainly 40+ I would say. Not the best hotel for kids although some facilities are present. Animation team try hard let's leave it at that. Only 60% full so plenty of space no issues with sunbeds round pools or beach. Service was superb (Al). Cant really understand food complaints, OK its buffet style but there are some many options and somethiong for everyone. A la carte meal included once in AI option and this was very nice but not that much better than buffet in terms of food quality, just nice to be waited on and sit on the terrace looking out over bay. I am diver and found Coraya Bay divers fine, very well organised, very safety conscious (had to do orientation dive even though only dived 2 months ago). The snorkeling is excellent with much better visibility early morning i.e 8.00am but if you go out along the rope which cordons off the reef near the beach and go past where you are level with the jetty on the other side of the bay, the vis improves dramatically. Alternatively walk round the bay and jump in off jetty swim out towards the open sea, you will se almost as much as when I used my scuba gear. If you are going for a chill out holiday and not fussed about lavish evening entertainment then dont hesitate, we will certainly be going back.

coulsdon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2009

Holiday 23 September 2009

There is no mistaking this is a beautiful hotel with the most amazing manicured gardens surrounding the hotel and an incredible amount of staff paying attention to the tiniest detail. You always managed to find somewhere to sunbathe and no one was ever too close to you. The weather was amazing, blue skies for the whole two weeks we were there.

Thomson rate this hotel as 4T, so am unsure if this hotel is really 5 star or not. The sunbeds did not reflect a 5 star resort, there were no cushions on them, just metal framed.

Room: Our room was clean and bright, excellent air-conditioning and a nice partial view of the sea. Our room cleaner was absolutely incredible. I have never experienced such an outstanding service as to what he produced each and every day – he was truly amazing.

Unfortunately there were a couple of incidences that occurred during our stay at this hotel, but in fairness to the General Manager Mr Hossam Saber (who was extremely professional) these were very quickly rectified by him and both (husband and me) felt we were treated like royalty for the remainder of our stay.

Food: You could take or leave it as nothing much really grabbed you. The food was a bit mundane and lacked flavour – so meals times were not looked forward to, in particular the breakfast, this seemed to go down hill during our stay, there was lack of potatoes, bacon (be it beef), baked beans, (which we have had in hotels on our two other visits to Egypt), even orange juice was scarce most mornings, while there was red coloured juice and a banana juice - we craved orange juice. You could boil your own egg in a disused chip fryer, which unfortunately once the water reached a certain temperature the machine switched off, leaving your poor egg confused! We didn't bother with the lunch times meal.

We were driven to distraction by the singer (who sang most evenings) to quote one of his songs “went on and on and on and on”. The good news was it was his last week at the hotel, the bad news it was our last week also.

We were on an All Inclusive tarrif and glad we were, as the alcoholic drinks were expensive. The red wine was good, I did get quite fed up with Sakara the local beer (they did not seem to get them very cold) and I do not like Stella, any way so I had wine instead and gin or vodka and tonic (when tonic was available!)

We will try somewhere different next year and have booked the 4 Seasons in Sharm.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank CoulsdonSpitfire
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2009

Iberotel Coraya Beach Resort is both beautiful and wonderfully situated. However, its completely overpriced and it has the worst beds I have yet to sleep in on my international travels. The only place I would expect beds like that is in a government hospital in deepest darkest Africa!! The food is not the best either and I would avoid their a la carte restaurant completely, unless you want to feel ripped off. I cannot think of another hotel that has charged me to make use of their gym. If you are on your way to Marsa Alam then I would say that Brayka Bay hotel is better value for money.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SagMoonTravels
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2009

Fantastic from start to finish. I went all-inclusive. On arrival, welcomed with cool damp cloth and cooling non-alcoholic cocktail. Room was huge and spotless with fantastic view over the pools - Bougainvillia everywhere. The food wasnt just a buffet, it was a banquet at breakfast, lunch and dinner. There was no need to try the A La Carte as the buffet was so good.
Everyone courteous and friendly. Tips not expected but gratefully received.
The entertainment was quite good, with the staff trying to do Lord of The Dance. There was the inevitable belly dancer and fire eater.

However - as all inclusive is now a crazy €30 per person a day, you would have to down an awful lot of booze, eat a lot of snacks and have loads of laundry.. That's over £28 a day - so for a couple that's an extra £392 a week!! - on top of what is already quite an expensive rate.

Sadly the Hotel knows full well it is Number 1 in Marsa Alam and I think it is now getting greedy. A victim of its own success. Some friends of mine booked months ago, all inclusive at a much more reasonable £13 per day each, which I think is just about right. 30 Euros is a rip-off!

Go half board and pay the odd £2.70 for a glass of beer, or £1.60 for a large bottle of mineral water. You almost certainly don't need lunch after the breakfasts that they put on. You need to save yourself (and waistline!) for dinner.

Would I return? Yes indeed. The beach, coral and snorkelling is fantastic and the hotel is luxury personified. Unbelievable. They just need to get their pricing back to sensible levels...

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
6 Thank ajsykes
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2009

Third visit in 4 years to Egypt and first time to Marsa Alam having previously stayed in Taba Heights. Flew from Gatwick and paid the extra for leg room as 6'3. Not much to say about the flight that hasn't already been said here. Arrived at airport, quick 15 min transfer to the hotel and greeted with a cold drink and a warm face towel. Check in very good, the staff come to where you are seated and give you your keys and welcome pack from the hotel and then you are given a small tour of the main parts of the hotel and taken to your room with your cases being brought up to you shortly after. This little touch was a good start to the holiday, it was early evening when we arrived and to be told where the restaurant was rather than having to scout round the hotel ourselves was good.

Food - plentiful and well presented, if you like deserts you wont be disappointed here. As with many hotels the chefs are trying to cater to as many different palettes as possible but it is of good quality. Only negative was that some of the main course options were a bit luke warm at times, still perfectly edible thought. Service overall good but depending on which part of the restaurant you sit some of the waiters can be a bit non attentive unless (a) you have given them a nice tip at the START of your stay (b) your female or in a group of females (c) have small children in your group. We had / did neither preferring to tip at the end of our stay.

Pool - 3 pools all very well maintained. We spent most of our time in the pool at the top end of the complex which had the added benefit of a swim up bar. Special mention to Mohammed the main member of staff at the pool bar. As others have stated after the first or second visit he already knew what drink you would ask for and it was often ready before you even had reached the counter.

All Inclusive - free 30 min massage, free laundry service, 15 mins wifi free per day, free mini bar (bar booze) 3 non buffet meals (one at the al la carte in the hotel and two in a hotel just along the bay - Italian and oriental) and obviously all food and drinks and local spirits and beer.

Would definitely go back. Best hotel I have stayed in in Egypt and the service and little touches were some of the best I have experienced in any hotel or resort.

2 Thank SteveinBristol
Cumbria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2009

Aiport - chaos on landing - what you need to do is queue in one line for your visa stamp then when you have this queue in the passport control line for them to check and allow entry - none of this is clear.

Hotel arrival - met with cold drinks and a welcome back. The staff then split you into 2 groups - one for those on HB the other for those on AI and take you in different directions - we were AI and they explained briefly what was included then sent us to our rooms. Our baggage arrived a short time later

Rooms - very nice - large bed, TV, Kettle, Fridge (only soft drinks part of AI deal), safe. Small balcony with chairs & table - the room maid was great making different towel sculptures each day.

Pools - we used the bottom pool each day as I understand water aerobics happen at the top pool daily. Regardless of when we went out we could always find a spare lounger

Beach - loungers, parasols and wind breakers are provided on the beach but are taken up early in the day. The beach has waiter service from the nearby beach bar. Although sandy it is not the softest sand I have experienced.

Snorkelling - we were advised to do this in the morning and would agree with this due to the suns position at that time of day. You can wade in through pebbly/gritty sand to waist height and then follow the ropes & bouys off to the left to follow the snorkelling trail. At first it is very murky but once you get out into deeper water visibility improves. I have snorkelled in other Egyptian resorts and can say in my opinion the coral was more impressive here but I would not say the same of the variety of sea life.

Restaurants -

Al Maha - this is the main restaurant where breakfast, lunch (if AI) and dinner could be taken. Breakfast usual selection of breads, cereals, fruit, egg station etc. Lunch - smaller variety of last nights dinner menu without carvery or grill), Dinner - usual breads, salads (very good), soups and hot meals there was also a carvery inside and a pasta station (excellent chef cooking your own pasta dish in front of you) as well as a childrens section. On the terrace outside was a large grill/barbecue where they cooked a different meat each night this was delicious.

Fayruz - this was opposite the bottom pool and we used it on a few days even although it is not included on the AI package. You can get sandwichs, BLT's, burgers, pizzas, french fries etc here and also unlike the Al Maha we did not feel the need to dress properly for lunch here

Beach bar - they had a small selection of fruit, sandwiches, soup & cakes available to those on the AI package

All Inclusive package - we had booked this from the outset but if you havent you can upgrade on arrival at the cost of 30 Euro's per person per day. I think it is cheaper to book as part of your deal from the Uk but it is worth if when you consider a bottle of water or can of Sprite costs 15 Egyptian Pounds(£1.87 app) and a rum & coke or similar will cost you about 50 or 60 Egyptian Ponds. I think we recouped our costs purely on the savings on our drinks. On top of food and drink (be careful here there are 2 menus in each bar one that is part of the AI and one that is chargeable)you get 15 mins of internet access per day and a massage during your stay - we did not partake of these however we did make use of the laudry service which was great they collected items pre 9am and delivered washed & ironed by 6pm.

Shops - there are a few souvenier shops in the hotel just off the foyer but we did not venture inside. There is also another souvenier shop (very friendly staff) that also sells a few toilettries and snacks and a Bank just outside the hotel entrance. And if you leave the hotel alltogether and turn left out of there drive about a 10 minute walk away (opposite the Llamaya) is a supermarket (think corner shop) a pharmacy, bank and some more souvenier shops.

Bank - we have travelled to Egypt previously but not to this resort so as usual I went to the bank to cash my travellers cheques armed with my passport - but NO they wouldn't cash them as I did not have the receipt from the UK showing my purchase and listing all the numbers of the TC's I'd bought (I thought this was for my security), they advised it was the same in any bank in MA. In the end the rep changed some for me into sterling and the machine in the bank converts sterling to Egyptian but not the other way (if you have too much after the holiday - the airport takes Egyptian despite us being told not)

Trips - we did not do any of these but you could do glass bottom boat trips, safaris into the dessert (jeep, camel & quad I think) and also if they have enough interest (they need at least 6 people) they do overnight trips to Abu Simbel & Luxor the cost is about £200 per person.

Staff - they were wonderful - very pleasant and polite and not pushy in any way - quite unlike other places we have visited.

All in all we had a great holiday and would not hesitate to retun.

If anyone needs specific questions answered I would be happy to help

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple