“Total chill out”

Ranked #2 of 68 Hotels in Marsa Alam
UK
“Total chill out”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

This really a total chill out holiday for couples who enjoy sun swimming and snorkleing. Our room was excellent in every way six foot wide bed, lots of wardrobe space including a safe plus a mini bar in which all soft drinks and water is replaced every day. Our room boy was the best asking everyday if everything was ok which it was and then some.
The hotel staff were very attentive last Wednesday it was (38c) so one of the waiters came around with chilled towels very much appreciated.
The rep Mahmood was first class helpful in every respect always being available any time.
We found the food hot pleanty of choice the speciality resturant being outstanding in service and food quality.
Yes they do offer a plllow & matress changing service to your requirements.
Colona divers and Jimmy dive master very patient, but yes you can feel a bit sick (thought it was just me) still had a good dive and saw dolphins on the way out.
I would agree the Thompson flight food choice poor so we bought a meal deal at the airport on the way out, for the journey back we got freshly made bagettes from the beach bar to eat on the plane.
So go and enjoy Coraya Beach and Egypt.

Room Tip: I emailed ahead and asked for a room in a quiet area on an upper floor. They kindly abliged with a...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank UKTraveller840

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2014

4 of us stayed here for 2 weeks at the beginning of May & are just getting over being so relaxed.
Every thing exceeded our expectations. The rooms & gardens are wonderful. The food was very good with a reasonable variety of options. The staff were accommodating - not often you have a mattress & pillow changing service if they are too hard or soft. The only draw backs are that when you are on a late flight you not allowed any food or drink after 7pm whereas with the fully inclusive hotel across the bay this only applies once you have booked out & left the Hotel to go home. You would think that all inclusive means all inclusive until you leave, however we cannot wait to return.

1 Thank card34
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2014

My fiance and I just got back from a week at Coraya Beach Resort and we feel so relaxed now. This is a wonderful place to be if you really need some time to yourself to get away from your screens, read a book, talk to your partner, take a nap, indulge yourself. I thought I'd break my review down into the many highs that made our trip great and some areas that I'd like to have been aware of before we went along.

Rooms
We had a Deluxe Double Room. It was spacious and tastefully decorated. There was a huge wardrobe with enough space for all our clothes, a safe that we used to store our valuables every day, a large bathroom, effective air conditioning, and a minibar with complimentary soft drinks. The man who cleaned our room, Ghalid, left it spotless every day and he even left a different towel sculpture each time he came (my favourite was the cobra). Our towels were replaced whenever we needed new ones. Overall we were exceptionally happy with our room.

The Reef
If you do nothing else on your trip, bring your snorkel and visit the 'house' reef'. This was an utterly magical experience for me. We saw a wonderful array of marine life, including angel fish, cornet fish, red sea clown fish, the resident grand Baracuda (apparently his name is Barry), and on our last day with saw a huge shoal of silver spotted fish! DON'T take any coral home as a momento, it's against the law and you could get fined. DON'T be that person who crosses the cordon and swims on the reef itself - it's endangered! Otherwise just enjoy the magnificent underwater view.

Thompson Rep - Mahmoud :-)

Mahmous is amazing! Any problems? He's your man. I'm pretty sure that had it rained, Mahmoud would have had a quiet word with someone and made it stop. Seriously, his English is perfect, exceptionally efficient, and with a sense of humour. Thompson - give that man a raise.

Colona Divers
We went on a diving experience with Colona Divers and the service was absolutely first class. We'd never dived before and Jimmy, our instructor, was exceptionally patient and took the time to talk us through everything. We saw a turtle and a blue-spotted sting ray. Beware of sea-sickness - we were struck down on the way home but it didn't spoil our day.

The food was great. I wouldn't say the food in the buffet was 5* quality or anything, but I would say that it was really decent, tasty food and there was a huge variety of dishes to choose from. There were lots of local dishes, pasta, pizza, loads of salad options, soups, meats, cheeses, dips, breads, omlettes, shwarmas, kebabs. And that's not to mention the BBQ that takes place on the terrace every evening, which serves roast quail, beef skewers and other stuff. My favourite aspect of eating at Coraya was having fresh fruit, natural yogurt, strawberry juice and coffee in the sun every morning at breakfast. I'd agree with other comments about wine - not great, I stuck to red. The one thing that surprised me is that sometimes you'd get drinks that were luke warm. Water is always cold, but some of the juices in the cocktails were warm, which is a bit of a let down when you're sat by a pool in Egypt.

Fayruz Restaurant
Service at the Fayruz was great and the food was too. I had the vege consumme and loved it. Garlic spaghetti also beautiful, followed up by a seafood tomato curry with rice! My boyfriend had the steak and would thoroughly recommend it like others before him. We weren't that keen on the desert - the chocolate cake is very similar to the one served in the buffet, but my creme caramel was very fair.

Hotel Grounds
The hotel itself and the surrounding groups and beautifully landscaped and the gardens are kept immaculately. It's so relaxing to unwind by the pool and there's always someone around to get you a coffee, some water or a cornetto (or should I say 'Cornotto' - don't expect home brand icecreams). There were lots of floatation thingys around and I think the hotel will provide on if you ask for one - we had lots of fun trying to jump on one. The nice thing about the three different pools is that some were loud and sociable (the one with the swim-up bar is always busy) and other were more remote and quiet, which was great. I've read some complaints about the sun loungers being too hard, we didn't feel this way and felt very relaxed and comfortable.

Spa
I can't praise the spa enough. My boyfriend and I had 2 couples massages lasting 50 minutes and the 4 massages cost £150 all in. They even threw in face masks and an after-sun treatment. The massages were wonderful, really relaxing and well-worth the money. I don't think I'd find better in a London hotel. The treatment rooms have a lovely ambience - dim lights, soft music - and the masseurs are very respectful of your modesty, which I appreciated. Also there's a great sauna/steam room/jacuzi for before or after your treatment.

Animation Team
We didn't do that much with the animation team. They come and let you know what's going on but if you don't want to do it they leave you alone. They put on a pretty decent fire show on the beach at night, which was cool. They have a pretty tough job, I think, because actually all people really want to do... is nothing at all.

It has to be said that the people at Coraya Beach cannot do enough to help you out. There's is ALWAYS someone asking if everything is to your liking. And this is great because they want there customers to have a good time. My only negative comment on this is that I found it somewhat overwhelming by the end of the trip, but I'd rather be asked than neglected. They'll give you some feedback forms towards the end of your trip. Whatever you do, do not fill it out in the restaurant unless you're going to put 'Excellent' for everything. We filled ours out at our table in the buffet, I put 'very good' for something and one of the waiters then promptly asked me to explain why I'd done it, which was awkward to say the least.

Tipping
Okay, tipping was the one negative aspect to the trip. To be fair, it was our first all-inclusive trip and we simply didn't think that much about tipping. I'd read on here that people tipped when they left the hotel. However, be warned, the staff will expect you to tip. If someone brings something to your room they will expect a tip. The laundry service may be advertised as all-inclusive but the person who delivers it will expect tipping. The person who drops your bags off when you arrive wants a tip. I wish we'd know to bring smaller denominations of cash because all we had when we got there was 100 EP notes, which is too much for a bag drop. Anyway, there were a few uncomfortable moments there.
Ultimately, we tipped our room cleaner, Ghalid, who did a great job, the person who served us in Fayruz, the people who gave us our massages, and the guy at the shisha bar.

Anyway, overall a great holiday. We felt super relaxed on coming back home.

Room Tip: There's a lot said about the view from the top floors, I'm sure it's lovely. We had a gr...
4 Thank Camilla M
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2014

We stayed at Coraya Beach between 14th - 21st May 2014. This was our third visit to Egypt in two years, having previously been to Sharm (Rixos Hotel) and Hurghada (Premier Le Reve). We picked this hotel in Marsa Alam based on excellent reviews.

Firstly the flight is 6 hours from Gatwick, legroom on the plane is a problem and snack service is quite poor and overpriced (£3.50 for 6 “fat” chips), but this is Thomson and no fault of the hotel.

You have to purchase a Visa at the airport which is payable on the coach, currently this is £19 which doesn’t convert to $15 US Dollars as stated!

The transfer to the hotel only takes 10 minutes, and dinner was provided on arrival.

The room and hotel grounds are spotless, our room was cleaned every day to a high standard.

Unfortunately during our visit it was very windy with quite rough seas, and although the bay is sheltered this made visibility poor for snorkelling from the beach, again not the hotel’s fault.

However food was an issue for us, with only one a la carte restaurant on site, which was also quite difficult to book (first a trip to reception, then we were told to go straight to the restaurant to book), after a ten-minute wait we finally managed to get a reservation for our last night. Worth the wait, as when we dined there it was fantastic with very attentive staff. The same cannot be said for the buffet restaurant, very hit and miss, food often cold and lacking in variety, staff were not always in a hurry to clear tables and seat you, drinks often slow.

Entertainment was awful, we actually thought that it was a karaoke night then realised that it wasn’t! Someone was attempting to read the words and sing, and it was the same every night! The animation team did start to get on our nerves, no I do not want to do aqua aerobics! Leave me alone!

We are a couple in our early 40s and most of the other guests were older than us. We usually like to stay up later on holiday, but it seemed that after 11pm tables were being cleared and people were heading to bed!

One nice touch however is ice creams during the day available from the pool bar.

Our pick up time for return to the airport was at 8 pm, so we opted to pay £33 for a late checkout at 6pm. We were surprised that on check out our wrist bands were cut off and we were told no more meals, or drinks after 7pm. As Thomson do not supply meals on the flights, this is a problem if your last meal is at lunchtime and you do not return home until the early hours of the following morning. I really think Thomson and the hotel should rethink this policy, which would seem like penny pinching, as food and drink is unlimited while you stay here - how much do you think someone could eat and drink in 2 hours!

After reading all previous reviews, where people have thought this place is outstanding, we did think we must be missing something when we stayed here. Yes, all in all a very nice hotel, but think with a couple of tweaks, mostly the food and perhaps with the addition of a couple more a la carte options, this place could be outstanding. Would not chose to come back as I believe there are much better hotels out there.

2 Thank Sean J
Darwen, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Have just returned from a fabulous 2-week break at this beautiful hotel (2nd visit). The room was perfect (block 16) on the ground floor with wonderful views of the sea from the patio.

The staff here cannot do enough for you, they are so polite and friendly and they remember you from your previous visit - Ahmed our room boy left his towel art every morning in the room for us, Hamde and Mahsob in the pool bar kept us entertained, Mohamed and Mosalam and all the waiters in the Night & Day bar looked after us very well, Sameh the shisha barman is like a whirling dervish, he is on the go all day and night long and so funny and Ahmed our restaurant waiter (my "little angel") even gave us a big hug to welcome us when we arrived which was so nice.

I have to mention one more member of staff - Mahmoud our Thomson rep. He is very professional and hard working but hilarious too. He looked after us and all the other guests so well and had us laughing the whole time. He is a lovely young man who is brilliant at his job and if Thomson ever give out a gold award for rep of the year then it definitely belongs to Mahmoud!

The food in the restaurant is very good indeed, always lots of choice and lots of dishes cooked to your liking whilst you wait which ensures they are piping hot and fresh. The beach and grounds are stunning and the gardeners work tirelessly to keep them up to standard.

I found the evening entertainment a little flat I'm afraid to say, the singer isn't bad and can play the guitar quite well but he lacks charisma and struggles to hold an audience (this is only my opinion, some may really enjoy him). We found ourselves retiring before 11pm to the shisha bar where the atmosphere was much better.

A final note must go to the management team, especially Rasly, Atef and Mr Saber. They run a tight ship here but do a wonderful job making sure that everyone is looked after and has a good holiday - well done to you all and I look forward so much to returning as soon as I can.

5 Thank Liz H
welshpool
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Visited Coraya beach for a week commencing 21 May 2014. Picked up by coach and arrived in 10 mins. Very good transfer time. Room in block 18 overlooking pool. Room Spotless as was the rest of the hotel, staff work very hard at looking after the hotel and grounds. Food was good. Staff are fantastic.
We booked this holiday after staying at Premier Le Reve in Hurghada in May last year. Premier Le Reve just has the edge on Coraya beach. At Premier bar open 24 hrs, no having to pay for drinks, soft, alcohol or hot drinks after 12, this is not a deal breaker but nice to sit and have a drink after 12 if you want one without paying.
Cons - Mattress toppers for sun beds, why are these not on all chairs also pool towels exchanged at 6 every night at room, sometimes we were missed, why not have a towel station. Sunglasses cleaned and small dishes of fruit brought around could be a small touch, cold towels where brought around but these had run out by the time they got to us. Sorry Coraya but these few small things would have had us returning.
What made this holiday was Mahmoud, what a brilliant rep. Thompson take note you need to keep this young man a promotion I think. We also went on the safari with him a fun filled day.
Tip - GET YOUR VISA FROM THE BANK, £15 at bank, £19 with Thompson on coach. (Bank to the left in arrival hall just before you go through immigration).

We had a fab time and met some lovely people. Would return if small issues sorted.
Please Email me if you have any questions.

2 Thank margwelshpool
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

This was my second visit after going May 2013 and still extremely impressed. Already looking forward to going next year. May is a fantastic time to go as weather is mid to high 30s but there is a lovely sea breeze which makes the heat bearable. Excellent snorkelling on site plus areas to walk about and explore within the comfort of the resort. No manic rush or early morning 'race' for sunbeds which I find typical with lots of places, able to wake up around 9:30-10am and still have plenty of spaces to choose from. Highly recommended to all my friends and family.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple