“Luxurious, quiet, friendly staff, great for honeymooners, bad maintenance”

Steigenberger Coraya Beach
Ranked #3 of 68 Hotels in Marsa Alam
Salmiyah, Kuwait
“Luxurious, quiet, friendly staff, great for honeymooners, bad maintenance”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed for one week in Coraya Beach resort enjoying the "Pharaohs' club" or "All inclusive" stay. the atmosphere is so good. the staff is friendly and the place is so quiet (I recommend it for honeymooners or couples that need to enjoy some private stay).

food quality is great, food is always warm. you can enjoy late dinners.
No snack meals, which is annoying specially when u miss the breakfast.
the maintenance is very bad. they have slow response. I had called them to fix the A/C 5 times within my stay (which means I had to suffer most of the time without A/C)
I even had to stay one whole night with my window open as the AC was not working and nobody came from maintenance to fix it till it was really late.

overall I will give it 4 stars

Room Tip: The resort is soo big so keep yourself as close as possible to the restaurants and the pool choosing...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in March 2012. The hotel is very clean, rooms are big enough. The staff did their job well. Food was very okay. We only had half pension, but I would recommend all inclusive as the prices were too high to pay extra. The beach was not so bad, even I expected more. Just a small relief for snorkling. I celebrated my birthday that time and it was really nice finding a small present and birthday wishes on my bed from the hotel management. It the evening the staff and management organized a lovely ceremony with a birthday cake for me, singing in their language and English during dinner. A big surrprise! Many thanks again. Anyway, this is a nice hotel to visit once. I never go back to the same hotel even I enjoy my holiday very much. Next goal Three corners... :-)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mariana H
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My wife and I visited the Coraya for a weeks all inclusive holiday in September 2012. This was our fourth trip to Egypt and the fifth hotel we have visited in the country.

If you've never been to Marsa Alam before you need to know that it is remote, in the middle of the desert and there is very little outside the hotel.

First impressions of the hotel were excellent; it is certainly attractive looking and our room was to a very good standard. Throughout our stay the room was kept spotless, and it is nice to have clean beach towels brought to the room rather than having to visit a towel station every day. Most of the staff are exceedingly friendly and helpful. The pools are well laid out, the animation team are keen, and provide some decent shows. There is a well equipped gym, very pleasant health spar, a beauty salon and a few expensive shops selling the usual souvenir tat. The selection of food in the main restaurant was varied, plentiful, and to a good standard.

Overall the hotel was let down by a few things:
1. We are both seasoned travelers, having visited many Asian and African countries. We know what precautions to take with regards to water, food, hygiene etc. We have never fallen ill on previous trips but this time we both came down with diarrhoea and vomiting, which required treatment with antibiotics.
2. The evening singer in the main bar is so bad he is funny - for a short while. It begins to grate night after night. He is an example of what the French call yoghurt, where someone who does not have English as the first language makes up the words. For example "I Want To Break Free" would sound something like "I Wo Do Bek Fee".
3. The hotel would benefit from installing water fountains. Yes you get water bottles in your room every day, and can get bottles free from the bar, however there is nowhere for them to be refilled. The hotel must get through hundreds of bottles a day, and this is supposed to be a green hotel.
4. The dining room has a strict dress code for men, insisting on trousers in the evening. This meant I was refused entry in smart tailored knee length shorts, even though people in sport shorts that we just below the knee were allowed in. Don't worry ladies you can wear as much or as little as you choose. One lady wore a see through dress and her underwear, others had mini skirts well above the knee, and inappropriate legs! This is quite amusing given that this is a Muslim country.

As experienced travelers we travel light and I did not have any trousers with me. As mentioned previously Marsa is remote and the hotel is not exactly surrounded by shops. The dress code was not mentioned clearly on Thomson's website. It is hidden in the small print of the contract you sign stating that some hotels may have a dress code. The hotel website says "Appropriate evening attire for men is requested". Having traveled widely in tropical countries we fully expected a shirt and smart knee length shorts to be acceptable. Whilst we accept that the hotel are at liberty to impose a dress code we feel this should be made far more obvious, especially given how remote the hotel is. Perhaps Thomson could have put this information in the countless emails they sent trying to sell excursions, pre-booked seats etc.

Two days were spent arguing with the hotel; this led to frustration which could have been handled better by myself and the hotel. Only the intervention of the excellent Thomson rep led to a compromise, allowing us to eat at the A La Carte restaurant every night. This resolved the immediate problem, but took the shine off of our holiday. For the rest of our trip, we referred to our table as the "naughty table".

We have written to the general manager of the hotel on three occasions and he has not once had the courtesy to reply. We have also written to Thomson since returning home, highlighting that they may wish to ensure that guests are aware of this dress code in future; we have had no response which has surprised and disappointed us.

The previous review stated that this is the "Best Hotel in Egypt". We have only been to five, but whilst we would say this is good tourist hotel, it is not in the same category as the Marriott in Hurghada.

Will we return? No. "Trousergate", as we christened it, left a very nasty taste in the mouth. In addition our primary reason to visit was diving. The diving around Marsa Alam seems to be deteriorating, although some of that may be the luck of the draw, or "insha allah", as the Egyptians say. However we were left with the impression that the sea life is not as diverse as it had been two and a half years ago.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Monkeys_Mum_and_Dad
Menen, Belgium
Reviewed October 14, 2012

In this period there was a capacity of 550 tourists.The public in Coraya changes from 1 may 2013 because there are no more children under 16 years allowed. Iberotel Lamaya is a good alternative.
The Red Sea gave many of his secrets free: octopuses-lionvis-turtles-barracudas-nemo-meurene of 2 m long etc.While the red flag was fluttering by the neighbours we could snorkeling in the Bay! we booked this time a snorkel tour to port Ghalib with tiger marine. Looking for the turtles and seacow, but who was once again too quickly.There is a beautiful coral garden. a big thank you to the dive instructor and snorkel instructors of tiger marine.
Tommy, goodlooking and curly hair ( tiger Marine) is fond of stroop waffles. Don't forget to suprise him !
Every 14 days return the menu back.The quantity of food is very greatly reduces but that bothered us definitely not.
During the evening we found it very cosy on the terrace with a refreshing drink.We don't talk about the singers !
Beautiful sunset at the jetty with coctails for the visitors in Lamaya and Somaya
Thanks to our friends from Neuenburg for the nice chats on the terrace.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stefstinie
camberley, england
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Just got back from a week in Coraya, Marsa Alam. Third time we have been and will def. be going back again next year.
The hotel is by far the best we have stayed at in Egypt. Bottled beer, canned soft drinks, wine from a bottle and bottled water. Food very good and plentiful.
Grounds are stunning and the hotel is set in a bay.
Do make sure that you give this hotel a try. You will not be dissapointed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
14 Thank darrenn
London
Reviewed September 27, 2012

OK, I have been to this hotel a few times now, the last trip being almost two years ago and there have been changes, some good, some not so. As I have reported previously on this hotel, I will attempt to do a bit more nitty gritty again.
The flight is OK. I didn't really have a good meal on previous Thomson flights although the Aldo Zilli meals provided by a rival were very good. Surely it isn't too hard to offer a very good meal on a flight? No entertainment on the flight either way... symbolic of the entertainment on the holiday. We were in a group of six and a seventh joined us for the second week. Greeting drink OK. As we had been there before we didn't need an escort to our rooms.
The rooms have been updated, relating to the bathroom area with a better showerhead, brighter tiles etc. This is a big plus. No problem any evening with having a hot shower. The hairdrier is adequate for most people although there isn't a tapered nozzle.
The room was kept clean and apart from a few tiny issues, really this wasn't a problem. You get the general towel sculptures etc.
The biggest change is in the restaurant where the selection is less than before but of a better quality. The centre aisle area now consists of about six 'stations' rather than possibly double that before. Along with the BarBQ outside, this is generally adequate and I do think they are trying to up the quality - plus they seem to have a two week menu rather than the same thing week in, week out. I can't generalize but every night there was at least two things that I really liked. For me, the soups were lovely but croutons were not supplied every night. I didn't do the deserts as I was too full with other offerings. What with soups, salads etc. I was still spoiled for choice. I have it on good authority from my wife that the chocolate iced-cream was luvverly.
Breakfast was also good with what I consider to be a very good selection, but don't expect bacon! You can have eggs done how you like but bacon - no. Beef bacon OK. That said, I did find enough selection to satisfy.
A la Carte meal was good (I had the beef) but the service is still slow but of good quality. You're there for the night so chill out and you will hopefully enjoy yourself. Selection is OK, starter, pasta, main, desert.
Throughout, the quality of the beer, wine and G & T was all good. The G & T was at times a bit too strong!!! Bit disappointing that the beach bar serve you beer in a plastic cup although wine is served in a glass. I can understand plastic on the beach...
Entertainment... what can I say. It was so bad it was sometimes good. The evening singer is... well, words do fail me!! Some of the other stuff aspires to greatness but... Make your own mind up but don't look for 'Great Expectations'. The animation team are around regularly with boules, streching, volleyball etc. Not my cup of tea as I prefer a bit of diving.
So to the diving: most house-reef dives were less than spectacular apart from a snorkelling trip on our last morning where the visibility was super. Saw couple of big porcupine fish, two eagle rays (by the white buoy), a barracuda under the diving platform, clown fish, large groupers etc.
It seemed that the cooler sea cleared the visibility and brought in some of the bigger fish. I know that someone saw two large Morays on the house-reef that morning plus a large potato codfish.
Highlight was a two dive day long trip where in between dives we got in the water witha pod of 10 dolphins who at times were only 2m. away!! They stayed around the boat for hours!
Zodiac boat trips were exciting and they do a 'short' two dive trip without a meal which is pretty good. I know diving is about 'luck of the draw' but the trips were good and the viz seemed better away from the house-reef.
Meals: as you go into the restaurant, if you go almost to the end and turn left, you may be looked after by Ali, who is good and diligent and we had a laugh with him. If you do the same route but turn right, you will hopefully meet Mohamed Khabari who has the biggest smile in the world. We had a competition with him regarding pyramids (look for the number 4) and another trick he does but remind him of our comeback of getting the cork out of the bottle. He is ver good and very efficient! He was my favourite waiter.
Please take a few dollars, euros, pounds or egyptian and give them a tip or two. They do respond although not 'in your face!'
If you haven't been before, I am sure you will have a very good time as everything is of a good standard (apart from the pool tables - they shouldn't charge cos the cloth is useless). Waiters are very accomodating. Rooms are kept clean. Toilets are generally very clean.
Finally, expect a bit of tummy trouble. It's so hot out there then you have ice-cold drinks and you have the air-con in your room; the bacteria in your tummy can't cope, so take your immodium and if you feel really bad, go see the doc who is on site!!
Next year they are going for adults only...with Brit singers (hooray) but the price will go up a bit.
I really recommend this as a very good Egyptian hotel and if you take in my comments as well as others, I am sure you will have a great time.
I hope this helps.

Room Tip: We were in 1710 with a garden view. We were not in the room too much to warrant a sea-view room and...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank muppet3
Hailsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Coraya at the end of August for 1 week and had a wonderful time. The Thomson flight was not great due to the service being pretty basic. I know it's only a 5-6 hour flight, but the lack of food options and entertainment really makes a difference, particularly on the way home when we were told that they had sold out of nearly everything. Not ideal when you expect to get home late at night and the last meal you had was lunch at the hotel.
Marsa Alam airport is small and has very few flights arriving, so even though there was only one man checking passports it wasn't such an uncomfortable wait. Buy your visa from the little desk, rather than through your travel agent as it is a few quid cheaper. The transfer took about 10 minutes on a comfortable air-conditioned coach and only dropped off at one hotel before the Coraya.
When we arrived we were given a cool drink, filled in a form and then were given a quick talk about the hotel and it's amenities, before being shown to our room. We stayed in room 1312 which had a partial view of the sea and a small garden outside from the balcony, which had 2 comfy chairs, a table and a small washing line.
The hotel itself is wonderful. It is beautifully designed, with a feel of a village or small town; the rooms in small blocks surrounding little squares or gardens. The rooms are well appointed and very comfortable. Some might not like the firm mattresses, but we are used to that at home. The room boy cleaned it everyday, and also made a real effort to make us feel welcome. The mini bar has soft drinks and water which are free (all inclusive), and beer which you have to pay for. There is a flat screen tv with very limited English channels, but this didn't bother us at all, and also a safe which is free to use. The bathroom was nice, with a really good shower, decent toiletries, clean towels, robes and flip flops. Beach towels are provided everyday, so there is no need to take your own.
The restaurant was very good, with plenty of space for everyone. The standard of food is high, with a very good choice, from standard buffet food to freshly cooked pasta and meat joints, and also a grill outside which had different food every night. The staff in the restaurant were fantastic and very attentive, but not over the top. A special mention to Osama and Alaadin who always tried to find us the best table for dinner, but they are all wonderful.
All the bars are very nice, and all have a very different feel to them.
The beach is very nice, but I would recommend taking shoes that you can swim in, as there is quite a lot of coral all around and the sand gets very hot, and it is possible to walk out quite far into the sea. There are plenty of sunbeds and we never had trouble finding one as the bay is very big and stretches all the way around to the other hotels.
There are 3 pools, which were all fantastic, and also had plenty of sunbeds with parasols, which you will need due to the strength of the sun.
I went scuba diving, all from Coraya Diving centre which is a 5 minute walk around the bay. The centre is extremely well run, with a huge choice of dives from novice to experienced. The equipment is in very good condition and the dive guides very informative and friendly. I went on 4 dives, which cost around £140 including equipment hire, reef tax and guide fees etc.
The spa is very good and very good value. We had 5 massages between us which came to around £130.
If you are looking to have a relaxing holiday in the sun then this hotel is fantastic and highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple