“Wonderful value for winter sun”

Steigenberger Coraya Beach
Ranked #2 of 68 Hotels in Marsa Alam
Reviewed March 24, 2012

A warm 'welcome back' greeted our second visit to this lovely hotel, set above a pretty coral bay around pools and spacious, beautiful, well-tended gardens. It was a bit windy last week but the beach was sheltered. The experienced and friendly staff are managed by a very competant, hospitable, and always visible, management team led by Hossam Saber whose every wish is to provide for all your needs. Our recently refurbished sea view room was very clean, and had an excellent shower! The buffet style meals provide a huge variety of dishes:the different themes in the evening even extended to the staff uniforms and restaurant decorations.We enjoyed the little extras such as a bowl of nuts in our room one evening, a taster of pizza on the beach or the odd cocktail in the restaurant. Take some warm clothes for the evenings as it can get chilly when the sun goes down. There is some entertainment if you wish it but we enjoyed the peace and quiet of a relaxing week of great value winter sun!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Rachel H
Write a ReviewReviews (3,878)

Reviewed March 23, 2012

I went to the resort for the first time for two weeks from the beginning of March, and I have already booked to go back in May, I was that impressed.
The place was kept spotlessly clean without the staff being intrusive, the ground cover was exceptionally well maintained & beautiful, flowering, climbing plants were attached to the sides of the buildings, over the balconies, and over arches that covered the pathways through the resort.
The staff, who I can't praise enough, were polite, respectful and couldn't do enough for you. I had a few un-usual requests (sun bed on my balcony, extra water, tea/coffee/green tea & powdered milk sachets), almost every day, and they were all met without question.(I was on all inclusive which helped, if I had been half board I would have had to pay extra for the water etc).
The main restaurant was very spacious and the staff attentive and friendly, without being too familiar. The food was good with ample choice, although depending on the time you went for dinner, (tea-time), the queuing for the hot food was rather cramped, as the majority of containers were along one wall and close together, which meant that if you were polite and queued in line, you ended up waiting ages. With the food containers being so close together, without pushing in, you couldn't even see what the food item was and whether it was worth queuing up for.
Whether it was the fact I went in March, but there was more than ample sun-beds, there were three pools (one heavenly one which was heated but only waist deep) and the beach and there was always beds available. This being the case, it didn't matter whether anyone reserved their bed as there were always plenty of others around. I just hope this isn't too different when I go back later in the season.
The rooms are a nice size as are the balconies. The balconies are nearly all open plan (ie not enclosed by walls etc) with lovely pergolas over them. The rooms either look over the pools, the sea or the gardens, and having explored the grounds, I feel I can safely say, all the views from the rooms are beautiful due to the way the grounds have been landscaped.
There are two ice cream stations (which I frequented lots !) and several accessible bars no matter where in the resort you were. The bars had access to not only alcoholic/non alcoholic drinks but also tea/coffee.
There were a few shops in the main reception area, jewellery, water sports equipment, basic toiletries (not including hair conditioner), perfume, clothing and ornaments etc. Within the health club there was a small library and there was a beauty salon located within the grounds, I can't comment on the health club or beauty salon as I didn't use them.
The beach is clean and there is direct access (a shallow jetty) leading to within a few metres of a large coral reef. I was a little disappointed that I didn't see many big fish but maybe I went in at the wrong time, ie-when there were a lot of other people also snorkeling, so maybe the fish kept well hidden ?! It's worth using some jelly shoes for walking in to the sea as there are a few pebbles etc, there was quite a few pits and troughs on the sea bed, so be careful when you're walking around in the sea with it not being even on the bed. There are staff that come on to the beach area and get you drinks from the nearby bar, which is also nice !
The resort was nice and peaceful with no loud music blaring out, apart from when there was an exercise class taking place nearby, but even then the activity didn't go on for that long, again, I hope that doesn't change when it gets busier later on in the season.
I can't comment on the animation/entertainment as I didn't see any of it.
Clientele appeared to be mostly English, German and French, of all ages, so everything was all very civilized. Luckily the Russians don't appear to have discovered Marsa Alam, without appearing to be anti-Russian, I have had a lot of feedback about how the Russians have descended on other parts of Egypt, and are reportedly loud, rude and pushy I would hate to think that the Iberotel Coraya as it is now,(wonderful in all respects), changed if the Russians discovered it and totally altered the relaxed and peaceful ambiance of it.
I took my lap top and found out that the internet worked in my room, I queried it with reception as I believed that wireless access was only available in the reception area, but it seems that they are doing all they can to make sure all the rooms (eventually) are able to receive wireless wi-fi. I don't know what percentage of rooms have already been converted at this stage though, so don't presume that all rooms have it as yet. Two weeks internet access was approx £85.00.
I would totally recommend this resort, obviously it's each to their own but it was perfect for me.

Room Tip: If you're not happy with the room you are initially allocated, take the day after arrival having...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
10  Thank Val5039
Reviewed March 23, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a week at the Coraya Beach and could not fault this hotel in any way. The staff, from the moment we arrived was one of total professionalism and driven to ensure that our needs were catered for in ever way. The hotel was spotless and the quality of the food was second to none with the variety exceeding all expectations. This hotel is one of those places you are sorry to leave but look forward to going back to. Perhaps we should not rave about this hotel and keep it our own little secret hideaway. Well done and thankyou Coraya Beach. Terry from Kent

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Terence B
Reviewed March 22, 2012

my partner and i went here 4 weeks ago it was brilliant the sun was hot and the hotel was even better !!!!!. all the staff were great and very friendly, they just couldnt do enough for you, and a massive thanks to the hotel manager you and your staff are a credit to marsa alam and i would recommend everyone to go there. and we hope to be there again in june to see all our friends at the hotel. anyone who goes please say a hello to Yasser the swim up barman he was very funny !!!..The whole hotel is very very clean. see you soon guys.

Dean & Zoe

Room Tip: pool view, very nice rooms and very clean, and the animals they make out of towels are great .
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank dean f
Reviewed March 20, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at this resort (5 - 16 march 2012) which thoroughly deserves its top TripAdvisor rating. Staff are always very courteous and helpful. Waiters (and other staff) genuinely friendly and never hassle for tips. We have 2 young children (2yrs and 4 months) and the hotel could not have been more accommodating. Ice cream was produced when it wasn't on the excellent and buffet (which changes with every meal), as were soft drinks and other food.

This is a great place for adults, couples and young kids. Be warned however, this is NOT a resort for anyone looking for nightlife or a holiday romance (I don't think teenagers would like much either). The majority of guests are German (average 40yrs+) with some Brits, Swiss and French. Personally, that suits us. We have founds the Germans to be much easier to be on holiday with than many of our fellow Brits. Also Germans do not put up with the 'pile it high, sell it cheap' package accepted by so many Brits (that is why they are at resorts like this).

I don't wish to give the impression there is no nightlife, but it is very low key and largely based around a small but hardworking animation team (who also run a good little kids club where the children tend to get a lot of attention because so few people with kids go there).

In short, if you want a spend some relaxing time in a beautifully maintained and run resort with really good food, 3 pools (which you can always sit around without feeling crowded) and a very nice beach and house reef, this is the place for you. I would also suggest, if you can stretch to it, that you go all inclusive. It might seem a little pricey, but nearly everything is included barring a few international drinks and the a la carte restaurant (which we didn't think was as good as the main restaurant anyway). If you go half or full board the price of drinks (and food) can quickly add to up to a sizable amount.

Will we go back. Almost certainly yes. You can get cheaper resorts but you will struggle to find a nicer one. I don't give glowing reviews where they are not deserved but this definitely one of the better places we have stayed at around the world. we am obviously not alone in that view as a lot of guests come back year after year.

Finally, Think about leaving some tips when you leave (favorite waiters, room cleaner etc). A lot of the guys at the resort earn very little by our standards and work long hours (often staying weeks without seeing their families in Cairo, Luxor etc). A few pounds (I am talking English here not Egyptian) can make a real difference.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank martin.c.d
Reviewed March 17, 2012

Just back from a wonderful week at the Coraya Beach - weather was perfect.

We travelled with Thompson Holidays - All Inclusive option- first tip is to take your own entertainment and food for the flight as there is nothing on board and the food and drink is substandard. Also the front of the plane was very cold - if you wanted a blanket you had to pay £5 for it!

On arriving at Marsa Alam airport if you have not already got a visa go to the bank kiosk at the left hand side and buy a visa there- it costs $15 dollars. People who have not got a visa are charged £13 (work out the maths!) on the coach - a nice little profit for the travel reps!!

A friendly arrival at the hotel awaits - a refreshing towel and a welcome drink - we went straight to the "Night and Day" bar for another drink and by the time we got to our room the cases had arrived.

The bedrooms are currently being upgraded and it is nice to have a bedroom with alcoves and arches rather than a square room. The walk in shower is lovely, beds comfortable and it's good to have tea and coffe making facilities too.

The food was tasty and varied and there was a different theme every night ( Egyptian, Italian, International etc) and they really make an effort ( different coloured tablecloths every night). There is also a BBQ area outside on the terrace where you can sit if you don't want to eat inside.

Breakfast is good - but if you drink decaffinated coffee you will need to take your own,

There is an entertainment team at the hotel - they are very enthusiastic and friendly and not pushy at all if you do not want to join in the various activities. I did "water gym" a few mornings in the warm pool which was fun and we played "boccia" on the beach several mornings. It was a good way of meeting other guests - we were the only English guests who played but met several nice Germans, Italians, Belgiums and Dutch guests.

The same animation team put on a show every night - they tried hard but two shows was enough! There was an awful pub singer at the "Night and Day" bar on the terrace. This is the only downside of the holiday - but we did not go there for the nightlife.

There is a 1600 metre walk around the bay (with markers every 100 metres) to the other hotels which we did before breakfast every morning and went to look at the fish from the walkway by the Lamaya Hotel. We sometimes did this walk at night - another tip - if you want to go shopping do NOT go to the shops by the Coraya as she shops on the other side of the bay are cheaper and the staff are more friendly.

I would say that the Coraya hotel is best suited for couples who want a quiet time - if you have children it may be better to stay at the other side of the bay near the free water park.

The bar staff were excellent - especially Sameh at the swim up pool bar - he knows exactly what you want to drink at what time of day. The gardens were beautiful and are so well cared for - all in all a lovely resort.

We will return one day - just wish there was a better choice of flights form other airlines.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank MinxiMC
Reviewed March 16, 2012

This was my second time at Coraya Beach and yet again it was a truly fantastic experience. The hotel and grounds are beautifully kept and very clean and the quality and choice of the food is second to none. The staff are so friendly and helpful and really did everything they could to make sure we had wonderful stay. This is a quiet resort, perfect for a relaxing getaway and it was an excellent choice for our gorgeous textile holiday with Colouricious.
If you get the chance to visit this lovely hotel, please do, you'd have to go a long way to find anything better than this.

Room Tip: All rooms are good but if you want real quiet, ask to stay away from the pool area.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends