“Explore other hotels in the area”
Review of Aurora Bay Resort

Aurora Bay Resort
Ranked #23 of 68 Hotels in Marsa Alam
Reviewed July 14, 2013

After reading several positive reviews on tripAdvisor, we selected this hotel for a vacation with our family. We arrived by the end of June and stayed for 2 weeks (26/6 – 11/7).

The hotel is placed just by the Red Sea and has its own small bay with a private beach and very nice coral reefs. You have to cross the main road to get to the beach - no problem - but please note that rooms with a garden view also has to deal with traffic noise from this road. The hotel is placed in the middle of nowhere, so don’t expect to go to other local restaurants and shopping, sightseeing, etc. – there is none what so ever. Try Google Earth and you will see what I mean. The city of Marsa Alam does not offer any shopping and other tourists told us, that it was not worth going there, so we didn’t.

The weather is premium - always sunny with a nice strong breeze that cools you down.

The beach is nice and it is easy to go snorkeling along the coral reefs. The water is rather cloudy unless you swim up a bit further along the reef. All in all a very nice experience. But quite honestly I found the beach a bit boring. It’s a private beach for this hotel and therefore the activities on the beach are quite limited. There’s no real activities there apart from Beach Volley – I missed the possibility of going surfing, trying a “banana-boat”, paragliding from boat – or at least being audience to such “beach-life”. So don’t expect lots of possibilities there unless you go for the diving center or tours arranged.

The pool area consists of 3 pools all with the same depth (130 cm) and a children area with a depth of 75 cm for small children. All very nice – but again I found it a bit dull. There is no water slides or any variation in the pools. Right beside the pool areas there is an entertainment area for the kids. We saw no activity there for 2 weeks.

The staff is very friendly and I guess they try their best. But their language skills are very poor. Every day I was meet with a “God morning Chef”, “Alles Ok”, “Denmark!” and other “funny” statements. I speak both English and German but was actually not able to make a real conversation with any of the staff members. The first couple of days I wasted time trying to talk to the staff, as you would normally do being a polite person trying to answer their questions. But after a couple of days I found myself answering back with only few words, hoping it would shut them up. I even avoided eye contact looking busy so I wouldn’t have to waste my time on these stupid conversations. It actually got so bad that we were interrupted in the restaurant very often by staff that wanted us to smile.

Normally we are very smiling and accommodating people but after only a few days we had to be a bit repellent to certain members of the staff. I think they all went to a workshop learning how to cope with tourists, but they try too hard and fails at this. Other tourists had the same experience.

The restaurant serves the same food every day. I felt like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. After only 3-4 days we knew exactly what to expect in the restaurant for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Believe me, it’s the same arrangement every day. Every day we also had to wait for glasses, knives, forks and spoons because they have too little cutlery. Every day we had to wait very long time at the pool bar just for getting a Cola. When asking for an icecream at the pool bar it’s was often not possible, because they ran out of it. And by the way, that was the only snack that you could get at the pool bar. Many evenings we experienced that the beverage machines were empty and there was only cold water to drink. Unless you wanted to stand in line at the piano bar waiting a long time for a drink.

A German guest told us that he had been to Egypt 7 times and he had never experienced such a bad restaurant and inadequate all-inclusive concept. We ourselves have been to two all-inclusive hotels in Turkey and experienced much better quality there.

The animation team does a fairly good job. Once a day they have aquagym at the pool and each night they arrange entertainment with shows, games etc. Fun to be part of this. I recommend that the animation team arrange more activities at the pool and beach during the day as we have seen at other hotels.

The front-desk does not offer any services regarding cash exchange, so you have to pay 10€ for a Taxi that will drive you to an ATM machine. Remember to bring cash as tipping is expected.

All in all we had a nice vacation, but was somewhat disappointed by this hotel. After trying 5-star hotels in Turkey at the same price as this hotel, we were disappointed by this hotel. We may visit Egypt again, but certainly not Oriental Bay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Nepdk

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We spent 2 weeks in hotel Oriental Bay in Marsa Alam. It was wonderfull stay in egypt. We had nice big room with all what we need!The staff are very kindly and care of us. The hotel have 3 nice pools with pool bar. The sea is wonderfull. We recommend Oriental for spending holiday!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Micmic123
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We spent a week at the Oriental Bay (26th June - 3rd July) and we both agree that this was the most relaxed holiday we ever had.

We knew before we went that there was nothing in the area around the hotel and we were not looking to be going out and about or doing any type of excursion so the location for us was perfect.

We were the only Brits in the hotel and we were treated like royalty, there have been no brits for a couple of months... It is a shame as the hotel can be booked outside of a package but you do need to search for it but you can also book directly with the hotel.

The staff here are amazing, everyone from the General manager to the gardeners and housekeeping staff were so friendly and always smiling. Nothing was too much trouble for anyone.

Our room was huge with s living area and a bedroom and it was spotless. Fresh sheets and towels every day and 2 large bottles of water in the fridge. We also had a kettle for making a brew which was great and a digital safe in the bedroom that was free as was the aircon.
A lovely fruit basket was waiting for us on arrival and a lovely bottle of wine was sent to the room from the General Manager half way through the week, thank you so much for that Mr Walid Sakr

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel special and this did not alter all the way through the week.

Each time we went for a meal, every one of the waiters came up and said hello, Hamdy the restaurant manager was brilliant and would even carry my plate back to my table for me. :-) Mahmoud and Tarek (also managers) were fantastic too, always coming to check that everything was ok and spending time just chatting. all the lads were great, i am sorry I dont remember everyone's' names if I did I would mention you all individually but you were all super stars!!!!

The guys on reception were also very helpful and again nothing too much trouble for them, Taymar and your team you do a fantastic job.

The bar staff were also great, Ahmed does a great job at the pool bar and Mohammed in the piano bar must be the hardest working barman ever, especially in the evenings, he was brilliant, makes some great cocktails and when I didn't want a drink he knew exactly how I liked my iced tea, also always with a smile.

The lads around the pool were also great and I have to give a special mention to Tag the towel boy, he has such a lovely cheeky smile and was always ready to help with anything and loves a good old chin wag.

We did go to the beach a couple of days which was lovely, the walk back to the hotel in the heat was exhausting but worth it, the snorkeling is good and the water so warm, it is just a shame that some people do not show respect for the reef. we never used the bar on the beach but I am sure the staff there were jut as friendly.

We used the Spa almost every day and everyone there was brill the aromatherapy massage is divine! Alos look out for Wes from the spa. there are a few cats around the hotel and Wes looks after them, spending his own money on medication etc to keep them healthy, there are also 6 kittens whose mum died when they were 2 days old and Wes has had reared them, to see the way the react when he goes to tend to them brings a tear to the eye.

Sorry if I have rambled on a bit ( I could go on for hours about this place)
would we recommend Oriental bay, ABSOLUTELY without a doubt. Would we go back Definitely(and soon we hope) even if we cant book from the UK we will find a way.

Mr Walid Sakr you and your fantastic team gave us a holiday that we will remember forever and we hope to return to see you all soon

Arrived as Guest Left as Friends

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank maz_qpr
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I have stayed here with my boyfriend for 7 nights, we booked via Czech travel company Blue Style. Directly at the airport we were advised by two ladies that hotel is nice but the Czech guests always get the last buildings far from main building, pool and especially beach. We hoped for difference, but we really had our room in the last building of course. The room was as suite with living room ( just sofa and something looking like a kitchen), big enough for what? And the bedroom was really small, hart to past between bed and TV table, bathroom with shower & TV as well small and smelly and not well done unfortunately (cheep). AC was in each room at least.

Restaurant - all inclusive package of course, good selection of original drinks as ice tea, cola, sprite, fanta etc. and drinks as the beach bar & pool bar as well. Food except breakfast has been each day a bit different, selection of rice, pasta, meat, soups and vegetable, good tasted and a lot of grilled vegetable which I liked. The only problem has been breakfast, each day exactly the same, thanks to pancakes & eggs but for 7 days, thank you enough for a while now.

Service is good, happy and welcome staff in the restaurant, they speak popular Czech words of course, but well known English and Italien even some German. The best person to mention was Ayman the barter man at he pool bar, thanks a lot to him to make us stay really comfortable with mixing a special drinks for us. The only - is waiting for table to be set or even asking for the set of the table a few times.

The sea and beach is ok, you may relax here, swim and dive and see the fishes without diving as well which was great for me. The only problem is that hotel is alone and no place where to go even for walk on the beach to visit different hotels in surrounded area.

Overall the stay was fine, i expected a bit more from 4+ hotel category on accommodation. Transfers were ok as well and trip has been on time as advanced.

I would recommend this hotel to people looking for really relaxing holidays, not much things to do around or see, evening programs starts a bit late at 10Pm where at 7PM is already sunset.

Nice holidays but once was enough at least for us.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I had spent one week in Oriental Bay with a friend of mine. Everything was great from the very beginning till the end. Rooms are nice and clean, every day you get a new towels and a bottle of water. Food was very delicious and there is always a choice for everyone...Staff was friendly and always with a smile on their faces. There is also funny animation team, each night different show, during the day you can play voleyball or do aqua gym in the pool, other programms are just for Italian guests :) Possibility to do some trips into the surrounding areas organized by travel agencies. I personally recommend snorkelling on Abu Dabbab beach. Climate was ideal as there is always a breeze which does not make you die from the heat. I enjoyed this week so much and really hope to come back one day.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank TerezaCub
Walid S, General Manager at Aurora Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

Dear Guest

On behalf of the hotel team, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your feedback.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for the nice remarks, which I will share with the hotel team.
Can not wait to welcome you back soon at the Oriental Bay Marsa Alam.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I stayed in this hotel within the first 2 weeks in May for the 5th time. As I could hear from several others couples, I realized that I am not the only one person who came back again.
The hotel has not lost it´s positive sites – friendly staff, nice and clean premises, pools, beach, wellness. The food is excellent with bigger possibility of choice (pizza) and very nice decorated.
The animation team in this term was really skilled, we enjoyed almost all their activities which were really funny, from aquagym, joga, dancing, children disco to fakir show. For the first time on my holiday I spent every evening watching program for children although I used to avoid it in the past. It is visible, that it is not only work for them.
Also the staff – partly the same – stayed smiling and friendly, like the first time - every time prepared to help if necessary. It is great that they remember repeated guests and welcome them like old friends – Gamal, Hassan, Ayman, Alaa, Adam, Hamdy and others, thank you very much.
Of course the most important reason of my fifth visit is the bay and underwater life. Although the water in the beginning of the bay gets milky during day, it is possible to swim further where the water is crystal clear and watch the life on the corals. If you are bored with known fish, you can visit other bays or interesting reefs with Duck diving superior (you can dive with them) or with taxi (it could be cheaper). Some photos of underwater life here : http://alicask.rajce.idnes.cz/Oriental_Bay_5_-_28.4.-12.5.2013/
Thank you very much for this holiday. My friend visited this hotel for the first time and after our arrival she told me – this was how I imagine the paradise on the earth. Thank you.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Jana P
Walid S, General Manager at Aurora Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your feedback regarding your stay at the Oriental Bay Marsa Alam.

We are thrilled to read your wonderful remarks, which I will share with our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon for the six time at your second home "Oriental Bay Marsa Alam".

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Best hotel where I was. Family atmosphere, great staff, food, cleanliness, pools, animators and major hotels and the beach. Super diving and plenty of fish in the sea. I'm sure once I get back.
I recommend to everyone.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jitaberdik5

Dear Guest

On behalf of the hotel team, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Thank you for the nice comments, which I will share with our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon at the Oriental Bay Marsa Alam.