“A nice hotel for families”
Review of Aurora Bay Resort

Aurora Bay Resort
Ranked #22 of 68 Hotels in Marsa Alam
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My family visited the hotel in August 2012 and found it very welcoming. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel has a large number of italian guests, so the italian club eden team organise a lot of the entertainment. My young children could participate 90% of the time anyway.They also have a mini disco for younger children. Location is a little isolated but the site is very nice and the beach is effectivelly a private beach for the hotel that is around an enclosed bay. The food was good quality albeit a little crazy getting the meals, also note no pork on site which means not bacon, ham or pork sausages. It would of helped if there was a little tour of the facility as we found out stuff as late as the second week.If you like premium brand alcohol it is not really on sale although what they do have is OK. The rooms are very good and the cleaning was attentive. The site is safe and clean

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank RobWilby
Walid S, General Manager at Aurora Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Dear Guest

We would like to thank you for taking the time to write your feedback regarding your stay at the Oriental Bay Marsa Alam.
It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Walid Sakr

Write a ReviewReviews (1,352)

Reviewed August 29, 2012

I would have to say it is an excellent place for the non judgmental staff in the kindness shown to my 12 year old autistic son. The Piano Bar has the most awesome staff member in the world - Mahmoud Sayed. Also my 2 youngest 6 years and 8 years loved the mini disco.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank kittengal
Walid S, General Manager at Aurora Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear Guest

On behalf of the hotel management and staff, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your feedback regarding your stay at the Oriental Bay Marsa Alam.

It is really great to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Once again thank you for giving us the chance to evaluate and enhance our services.

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Sumarize of all areas:
Rooms– They were actually appartmens with 2 rooms and once common living room and kitchen. Average room size but large living room and kitchennette but no coooking facilities (not necessary for all inclusive).
Cleaning- we give 5$ and the only cleaning effort was the creation of towel animals. Mirror also in the bedroom and in the bathroom was not cleaned prior to our arrival and also stayed dirty all the time. (we killed some beetle on the mirror and the fingerprint remained there all the time). In shower and toilet were dirty tiles which also have not been cleaned since we moved in.
Food – was tasty whole. What was more or less 90% of clients deserve Italilans. So much food or flavored local roots and the food was quite tasty. Cook on the grill for breakfast was very kind and prepared what you ordered. For lunch and dinner were always given to choose the italian pasta and sauces which were also ok. Operation were trying to bring themselves wilingly helped with drinking eventually fetched dish on the table (thought not close to the Italian group) and overshot the table, otherwise they went to prepare table for Italians and left you table half ready. Italians have orange bracelet and others had blue so easily recognizable.
Nobody nowhere mentioned ot the sea to walk across the road which was also a surprise.
Animation / program– there were a lot of activities for children that was good but animation for adults was again only for Italians. They had program every evening in separate building where other can’t entrance or if program was next to pool they prepared tables for them and animators said the rest of guest to not go there. Once we have had fire and fakir show but it was canceled but 5 min. before that time they confirm program will be in 10 min. Instead of repeal program they released of the film fast five. Once we bought ticket for beach party for 15 eur but our surprice was again only Italian speaker and 60% of Italy songs.Last but not least on the party was that there were just 2 bartenders for 150 people or more. Some people with blue bracelet left party after first 15 min. There was nothing to do in the hotel or where to go since it was not close to anything. Only in front of the hotel are a few souvenir shops and overpriced that were request bargain with them too since there could have been a monopoly where else to buy.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kleuska
Walid S, General Manager at Aurora Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Dear Guest

On behalf of the hotel management and staff, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience occurred during your stay.

Please note that there was a gala dinner on 15.08.2012 and all guests could reserve it against extra charge.

We assure you that we will consider the rest your comments with immediate effect.

As a management we believe that your feedback is our guidelines to evaluate and enhance our services.
We would appreciate if you reported your discomfort during your stay, in order to give us the chance to correct or clarify our situation.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Nice hotel and pool, meals buffet style was a bit like a school dining room, a bit in the middle of nowhere but depends what you want, pool and very short walk to fab beach was all we needed...
take your snorkeling gear as sea had fabulous marine life to see.

The main issue with this hotel was the domination of the Italians ! As Brits we were totally outnumbered...only 4 English families whilst we were there...they even had there own entertainment which included turning off the Olympic opening ceremony that everyone was watching as they hadn't had any notice that it would be on?? Seven years clearly wasnt enough??? So many Italians together majorly highlighted just how ignorant, ill-mannered and rude they are.
The hotel staff were lovely, Ahmed knew your name and drink order after one visit to the pool bar, the waiters were very attentive and any problems were immediately addressed.
The A la Carte restaurant was amazing but we were the only ones we ever saw eat there...we recommend an evening there at least once.
The Thompson reps were excellent and gave us relevant info and help when required.
....take the Italian entertainment team away and let them join in with the International entertainment team and the dynamic would have been so much better?

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank j_g_milliken
Walid S, General Manager at Aurora Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Dear Guest

Hotel management will consider your kind comments with immediate effect.
It is really great to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We will spare no efforts to make you happy.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

We booked this holiday on the basis of the reviews so thought this place sounds amazing. However there are some things that most people haven't mentioned. Things I think are important on a holiday. When we arrived at the airport we were told to pay for our visa on the bus, which is fine. By the way Alan the Thomson rep is an absolute gem he will go out of his way to help you and is very informative, he's a great asset. Anyway you pay your visa on the bus, a word of caution make sure you have the right money because you won't get any change back. Also another tip don't bother with taking egyptian pounds with you, take euros because at the hotel that's mainly what they use and another problem there is no bureau de change and absolutely nowhere to change your money. The shopkeepers don't or won't give out change, we had so many problems because of this. They do say a taxi will take you down the road to change your money for free, down the road is about 30mins and the taxi driver won't do it for free you have to give them money for this. The nearest decent place is Port Galib which isn't huge, it takes abou 45mins to get there and will cost £20 per person, you get charged per person not by the taxi. When we arrived at the hotel we didn't really get any sort of welcome which was really suprising as we'd always had such warm welcomes in other hotels we've been too. The guy behind the desk all but ignored us and we were left standing around for about 20 mins, not a good start. The food is not great I'm afraid to say, if you have children they will really struggle to find anything,both my kids were starving throughout the holiday, we ended up spending a fortune in the well overpriced shop to buy crisps and chocolate just to fill them up. Some of the food that is served at luch appears at dinner too. The kids section is always pasta and one other thing. There is a diet section which is rice and peas, that's it. We managed to find food to eat but it was a little bit of what was there. The did serve pizza and chips on different days and these went down a storm, everyone loved them, but this only happened once. The other downside was that 3 out of 4 of us had stomach cramps throughout the two weeks we were there, this has never happened to me and I've travelled a lot. The evening entertainment was to sum it up awful, we ended up going back to our room early most nights out of sheer boredom, there's a huge screen on the terrace which could play a film or some decent music, but there's just adverts, what a waste. Also there is absolutely nothing for kids to do, my two were so bored. The international animation team tried their best and are lovely, Kitty bless you for trying so hard, lovely girl but wasted there, they were quite persistent but they have no choice it's their job and I hate to say it but it did get annoying at times. People that said they didn't get any hassle from the spa staff were lucky, we had one young guy turned into a stalker, he was a real nuiscance and wouldn't leave us alone, also a guy about the quad bikes was the same kept pestering. In the end we almost had to be quite rude and told them to leave us alone. On the beach it's lovely and quiet but when you go into the sea be very careful, there are loads of stones around they recommend you wear aqua shoes, good advice, you also need to be aware of the coral that is quite shallow and if you catch yourself on it it can leave a nasty cut. The food on the beach is the same every day either pitta bread or pizza and a few vegetables that's it. On the upside the room could not be faulted, we had a two bedroom suite which was great, the beds were lovely and comfy, but another tip take your own pillows because the ones in the rooms are likes bricks so uncomfortable.The cleaner was a lovely guy very friendly and helpful, if we didn't want our room cleaned we just told him and ask for water you'll always get it. There is definately a big Italian/International divide in that hotel which is not good, the Italians barely speak and they have their own animation team and it is just for them, they make no effort to mix in with anyone else which is just crazy I don't know why it's not just one animation team it would be so much better. All in all I'm very dissapointed to be writing a review like this because I was so looking forward to going there, but it has baffled me why no one has mentioned the currency and the remote location of the hotel. A lot of people mentioned the manager being around the hotel a lot, yes he was but he never spoke to us the whole time we were there not even hello, so I can't comment on that. One last thing if you plan any trips do the oceans boat trip, it's great, the snorkelling is amazing, you can wear a life jacket if you need to. We saw dolphins and a dugong(sea cow) both things are not seen very often apparently. Also the desert safari is a must, it is really good fun. You get picked up in a land rover, the driver we had was bonkers but a great driver, be aware when it says desert, it's not a sandy desert it's rock, so if you're expecting sandy dunes you will be dissapointed. The camel ride is an experience albeit rather short. The quad bikes are brilliant I'd never done it before and it's easy, be warned you will get filthy from the dust, wear old clothes and something to cover your face, you don't have to pay 5 euros for a scarf anything will do. In the end we made the most of our holiday but to be totally honest I would not go back there again, obviously everyone is different, all I can say is make you own mind up. One more thing take a load of dvd's with you to watch, you'll be glad you did.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank marie_powell
Walid S, General Manager at Aurora Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Dear Guest

Please accept my apology for any inconvenience occurred during your stay.

Your complete satisfaction is our goal, and we assure you that we will consider all your kind comments with immediate effect.

Please note that it is very important and useful to inform the management with any discomfort during your stay, in order to give us the chance to take an immediate corrective action that reaches your satisfaction.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I travel throughout the Red Sea 10 months a year, I have been both to the Pacific Regions and Caribbean Sea Resorts. I have been fortunate to find ecellent places for my stay, such as Oriental Bay in Marsa Alam. I have stayed there the last 4 times and will continue staying at Oriental Bay. I have stayed at other resorts within the Marsa Alam area but their is a difference.

The difference starts with the hospitality, once you arrive you are greeded by people who are enjoying their work and happy to that you have chosen to stay at their home, they attitude tells me they consider it their home also.

The View is refreshing. Even thou, I had not been in one of the many pools just looking across the configuration of pool, palms, and pool bar makes me relax. Plenty of room to enjoy reading a book in peace and plenty of freindly people to have a few drinks with at the pool bar.

The rooms are give you plenty of area to enjoy some cool (A/C) TV time without having to lay in bed, and are kept extremly clean.

The Bed, a key component for me, since we spent so much time in a bed, I like to chose resorts with comfortable beds. The beds in Oriental Bay pass this review with no issues.

I highly recommend Oriental Bay if you are considering to visit the Red Sea, and find all the excellent qualities I have found.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Eduardo E
Walid S, General Manager at Aurora Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Dear Guest

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have visited this place twice and I am going there for the third time in September (My 11th holiday in Egypt). If course if I did not like it, I wouldn´t come. It depends on priorities of each person which hotel or place is the best - so for me the most important is the sealife, the possibility to go snorkeling every day, because there is no closed molo because the high waves (Gabel Al Rosas is quite long bay so no high waves). A lot of fish, nice corals, really amazing. The hotel is for me the most comfortable place especially when we were 3 adult people, the best I have ever visited. Nice and clean swimming pool and beach, a lot of activities of ABC animation team, really friendly staff from the receptionists, waiters, cleaning staff, wellness to porter. We tried some procedures in wellnes centre - massages, jakkuzi, sauna, but the offer is wider - I can only reccommend to everybody. A am really looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jana P
Walid S, General Manager at Aurora Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Dear Guest

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.