“Wonderfully relaxing holiday at a very good hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Marsa Alam Nubian Resort

Hilton Marsa Alam Nubian Resort
Ranked #11 of 74 Hotels in Marsa Alam
Manchester, England
“Wonderfully relaxing holiday at a very good hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

I’ve just returned from a fortnight’s holiday at the Hilton Nubian and had a thoroughly relaxing and enjoyable holiday on our first visit to Egypt.

There are lots of plus points about this hotel.

The rooms are great and have many of the things that I want or need in a decent hotel room such as a comfortable bed, good bathroom, large easy to use safe, good size fridge, and an iron and ironing board. I was particularly impressed to find a set of scales in the room, a 3 pin plug socket so I needn’t have taken a travel adaptor with me, and a mosquito plug in with a supply of RAID tablets.

The beach is lovely. I don’t understand the grumbles about having to walk to the beach from the hotel, it’s hardly as if it’s a slog. I enjoyed the walk from our block, 18, to the beach every day. To be honest that and snorkelling was the only exercise I got for 2 weeks. We even termed the train the lazy train for lazy people, naughty but true if you are capable of walking any distance in normal life. The umbrellas and windbreaks were a lovely place to relax under for most days. The snorkelling on the house reef was something I loved but the coral is already badly damaged closer to shore and I do worry for the health of that reef for reasons that I shall come onto.

The food was fantastic. Plenty of choice at every meal, which is a credit to Chef Mohamed and his team, particularly as it must be hard to please the variety of nationalities holidaying there. We ate in the main marsa restaurant for all but two meals, when we went to the Breezes bar. I’m already really missing fresh dates, eggs fried into smiley faces and the backlava.

The staff are probably the one thing that really make this resort. 99% of the staff we came across were helpful, friendly, polite and willing to help in any way that they could. I loved that the waiters in the Marsa restaurant made a big fuss of people on their birthdays and sang and played a drum for them and their interaction with the children in the resort was genuinely touching.

I would just like to highlight certain members of staff who really did make our holiday for us. Ahmed Shebi our room attendant in block 18 was just brilliant and a thoroughly lovely person. Whatever we asked for or needed he provided whether it was extra water, towels, milk, arranging for our laundry to be done. He even gave me a lovely necklace as part of one of the towel art arrangements he made for us. In the Marsa restaurant, Ahmed Eltanway? taught me little bits of Arabic, I’m sorry I was such a poor student Ahmed and also Mohammed Saad, what a fantastic waiter. Those two are brilliant at their jobs. Barbara and the front desk team couldn’t do enough for us – they even found my husband’s missing hat, great work guys.

Finally, I loved the the gardens. I know they aren’t fully established yet but the effort that is going into maintaining them is almost Herculean and I’d love to come back in a few years time to see them as they’ve matured. I appreciated looking at them everyday.

The pharmacy was invaluable to us - my husband picked up a tummy bug, outside the hotel I might add, and the pharmacist dealt with it very quickly. I also had to invest in some decent bite from from there too after become an all inclusive buffet restaurant for the local mosquito population. Word of advice though take mosquito repellant, bite cream and any other toiletries you might need because they are not cheap as you are a captive market miles away from anywhere. The pharmacy wanted £16 for a can of shaving gel from my husband, which is completely exorbitant however you look at it. The pharmacist is a nice man and we had a very interesting conversation about the differences between UK and Egyptian pharmacy practices.

I know that feedback is appreciated by the management so I do have some things to say about things that I think need improving or changing.

For me personally, the way that people are seated and the drinks service during meals doesn’t work smoothly enough. You can be halfway through a meal before a drink is offered. Water and soft drinks would benefit from being entirely self-service and placed in a more prominent position. It took us nearly a week to work out that help yourself tea and coffee was tucked around a corner in the marsa restaurant for example. You can also be half way through a meal and come back to your table to find everything cleared away and your table offered to someone else. If a waiter service is the preferred option: waiters need to cater to a much smaller number of tables so they can keep a closer eye on drinks and who has finished their meals and left. Guests shouldn’t be seated at tables until there is at least a bottle of water and two glasses on the table, which wasn’t always the case.

Spa, beauty shop staff. If I want a pedicure or a massage I know where to find it thanks very much you don’t have to try and harangue me several times a day into buying your services. The staff from both of these places began to really irritate me and Hilton just simply shouldn’t allow them to tout for business like this.

Whilst I wanted a totally relaxing holiday I did start to get bored in the evenings. There needs to be a better programme of evening entertainment. I enjoyed the dancing and other shows in the lobby area but they were always really short.

Finally, my own personal bug bear: people walking on the coral, people touching the coral, and something which caused me more annoyance than anything else, people touching the turtles. I’m sorry to say this but I actually had to shout at 2 separate parties of Russian guests on different days for touching surfacing turtles. On the first occasion a father grabbed hold of the turtle as it surfaced for air by its front flippers and then passed it to his young daughter. When I made a big scene about this he merely shrugged his shoulders. I could have cried when I saw that, it really was disgusting. There will be nothing left of this reef and the wildlife that inhabits it will disappear if guests aren’t better educated. I know this is a really tough one to deal with but I think as a hotel you need to find clearer more imaginative ways of putting the message across about the importance of protecting the reef and the wildlife there. I don’t know if guests are briefed about the basic beach/reef rules in their arrival briefings by tour operators but they should be if they aren’t already, printing basic beach rules onto room key cards also strikes me as an obvious way forward to communicate this message more widely.

So other than a few small issues, it was a wonderful and relaxing holiday in a hotel that I would wholeheartedly recommend to someone looking for a quiet paradise.

• 3 of 5 stars
8 Thank AnneB32
MartinRogers, General Manager at Hilton Marsa Alam Nubian Resort, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Thank you for completing a detailed report on your recent visit.

We really appreciated positive and negative comments, as this enables us to review our service standards and sometimes we can explain what we have tried to do and what we can actually complete.

We have noticed that when the hotel is full the drinks service in the main restaurant slows down. We have been discussing this service issue in the main restaurant and will be hope to be testing a new service standards out in the next week. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused by this during your visit.

We are very frustrated at some people’s behavior when in the water and the lack of respect to the sea life and coral. We already have numerous signs displayed in the hotel and grounds; we also attend all welcome meetings. We have team members located on our beach who are also members of the Red Sea Rangers. But most of the issues are not actually on our beach, but the private beach next door and when people are in the actual sea. Unfortunately we have no control on these areas. We are trying our best to encourage the owners of the beach next door to improve their security measures and hope that this will soon improve.

The external concessionaires in the Hotel (shops, diving club, Spa, Quad biking etc) operate from different locations in the hotel and have set times when they can visit the guests on the pool and beach areas. Our security guards and bar teams monitor their behavior to ensure they do not 'pester' guests and when we are informed of this we take immediate action. It seems that different nationalities have a different view on this service - many guests want these services to walk around to them as they don’t want to walk to their shops. I will ask the security team to keep an extra eye on the Spa team members.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed your vacation and hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon

Martin Rogers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Leominster
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Set away from all other hotels is the Hilton Marsa Alam. We caught a boat from Port Galib and stayed here a day either side of our trip. As I am a Hilton Honours guest we were upgraded both times - lovely rooms. I just wished that the Hilton group would put Tassimo coffee makers in all rooms above a certain level. All inclusive resort - bargain

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for visiting us during your vacation and travelling via Port Ghalib

We are glad to see that you enjouyed your 2 days with us and hope you have an opportunity in the future to visit us for a week vacation next time

regarsd

general Manager
Tamworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We have just returned 20/11/12 from a fabulous week at the Hilton, marsa alam. It was a last minute holiday we booked purely for a relaxing week, in the sunshine with good food, drink in a fabulous hotel. The Hilton ticked all the boxes.
There are 4 pools with sun loungers a plenty around each pool. 3 have pool bars and 2 of the pools are heated. I recommend the wave pool as this is smaller, more intimate pool but still plenty of sun loungers. There is also the resident duck, which lives happily in the main pool. It has returned for its 2nd winter this year and seems to love the pool environment and its bridge it lives under.
The beach was also fantastic, it was clean, plenty of sun loungers and parasols, with a beach bar very close by. The sea is just a tropical paradise, turquoise in colour with crystal clear waters. How people can complain the hotel is not beach front, must be extremely lazy and are not prepared to walk the 5 minute stroll through the well kept gardens to the beach. Having eaten far too much rich delicious food served in the restaurants, we needed the 5 minute walk as our exercise for the day!
There are 4 restaurants, the main buffet restaurant with a variety of different food served every evening, with 3 others which you have to book. We ate in the souk restaurant and the pool side restaurant which were both delicious. The chicken lentil and chick pea soup in the souk restaurant was a favourite of ours.
The rooms are very clean, stylish and made every day with clean towels and sheets. The beds are very comfy with thin duvets although the pillows were not great. There is plenty of wardrobe space and numerous drawers for storage. A safety deposit box was free of charge to use and there was an ironing board and iron in the wardrobe. We stayed in block 14 which over looked the main pool. We had a lovely view of the pool and the sea in the background. The staff are very friendly and attentive although the service for drinks in the buffet restaurant tended to be a little slow.
My biggest and only complaint I do have regarding this hotel is the lack of toilet facilities by the pool areas, basically there are none. This is a large complex with only one set of toilets in main reception and a set of toilets at the beach, so if you are a regular toilet visitor through the day (which you will be with all the free cocktails) you need to consider how far away to situate yourself from your room.
I know I said only complaint but I just want to say, there are not many English staying at this hotel, which does not bother me at all, but bare in mind, other cultures do not have the British manners of queuing. That's all ill say on that.
All in all we have a great week in a lovely hotel and would highly recommend it to friends and family and would return if we want just a week of fabulous sunshine in November.

1 Thank diamondprincess_11
Thank you for your 'Fantastic hotel' review and kind comments.

We would also like to see more UK guests to stay at the hotel, but unfortunately there are only 2 flights a week and controlled by one airline. Most guests are now using internet based agents to travel to our Hotel.

Our resident duck seems to be more famous with our guests than the actual location. It is funny to see how many people folloe her postings on our FB Page.

Chorley, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

A week of November sunshine with excellent food and facilities.

The rooms are excellently equipped, spotlessly clean and brilliantly serviced every day.

The all inclusive food was buffet style with plenty of variety and a different theme every day.

We were in Block 17, next to the main pool and had none of the problems others have commented on with regards noise. Only 5 paces from our veranda to a poolside sun bed was great. Never had any problems with getting a sun lounger either by the pool or at the beach.

The beach is great. Ignore all the moaning minnies who seem to think it is a long way from the hotel. It is about 1000m from reception to the beach bar. If you are too lazy for such a leisurely stroll there is a regular golf cart train to carry your lardy backside to and fro.

Behaviour of some of the Eastern European guests around wildlife etiquette was a bit poor. That isn't the fault of the hotel though. Maybe if the guards by the beach could do more than just blow a whistle at them for walking on the coral, they'd behave better. Perhaps confiscation of their drinks package wrist bands for 24 hours would make them think twice.

The reefs in the bay are great for easy snorkelling, the further along the reef you go, the fewer the people and the greater the fish. Swimming with turtles was a real highlight. Shame the Russians think they are bath toys and want to pull their tails.

Overall an excellent holiday n an excellent hotel.

I thoroughly recommend it and will definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Block 17 was great for the main pool
2 Thank Mark S
MartinRogers, General Manager at Hilton Marsa Alam Nubian Resort, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
We really appreciate the time you have taken to complete a review on our hotel and your kind comments.

Great to hear you enjoyed your vacation and sorry to hear about some guests beshavior when they go diving and snorkelling. We are trying our best to control this and work very closely with the Red Sea Rangers to protect our bay and beautiful sealife.

social.marsaalam@hilton.com
Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I really enjoyed our stay here, we had amazing holiday in this fabulous hotel. It was excellent in every way - service, food, etc.. - everything was perfect. Big thanks belong Ahmed Fabio, Ahmed Basioni, Hassanin and Mr. Michael. All were very friendly and helpful.
And mainly special regards to management - Mr. Tamer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review and kind comments.

I will ensure that your thanks are passed onto the relevant team members that you have mentioned and I know they will appreciate them

Hope you have th eopportunity in the future to come and stay with us again

Social.marsaalam@hilton.com
Ashford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have just returned 14-11-12 from staying 1 week at this hotel and I can honestly say I have nothing negative to say about my stay. The room, service, staff, food, pools, beach and facilities were all lovely couldn't ask for anything more.
The hotel has 4 pools 2 with swim up bars and also an adult only pool, the beach was lovely, this also has a bar that also does snacks. Directly on the beach is a coral reef although this is protected if you make your way down the beach a little you may enter the sea there and snorkel which I reccomend for hours.
Can be quite windy.
Would I reccomend this hotel DEFIANTLY and thank you to ALL the staff that made our visit so enjoyable.

• 5 of 5 stars
MartinRogers, General Manager at Hilton Marsa Alam Nubian Resort, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thank you for your FAB U LOUS review and kind comments.

We really do appreciate these comments, but above all we are very happy to hear that you had a great vacation with us in Marsa Alam. Hopefully you will come back soon

Cairo, Al Qahirah, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed in the paradise of the earth is called Hilton marsa alam , it is more than wonderful Hilton hotel , word fantastic , wonderful ,unbelievable is not enough, everything was at the highest level more than any one imagine. Great comfortable room. It's magical holiday. All bartenders are specialists in their field specially ahmed basioni and ahmed Fabio , special thanks to chef mahmoud ,he is chef pastry and chef sha3waza and house keeper hassanen and best regards to FO department special MR MICHAEL night manager and mina . thank you for an unforgettable vacation.
defiantly will come back again soon as possible .

Room Tip: all rooms are amazing and all are good views (pool view, sea view , garden view) how it is lovely .
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank MohamedElghamry
MartinRogers, General Manager at Hilton Marsa Alam Nubian Resort, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
We are very happy to read that you had an unforgettable vacation with us in Marsa Alam.

We hope you return in th enear future