“One of the better Egyptian hotels”
Review of Resta Grand Resort

Resta Grand Resort
Ranked #34 of 68 Hotels in Marsa Alam
North Wales
“One of the better Egyptian hotels”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Travelled 12th to 19th February with my wife and 15 year old daughter.

Go on beach holidays two or three times a year, don’t normally find the time to write a review but the staff here a worth a mention.

Have been to Marsa Alam before and always stayed at the Three Corners Fayrouz Plaza, a fantastic hotel, however Thompson have stopped offering it so chose the Resta Grand.

Arrived Marsa Alam airport, the best airport in Egypt, quick transfer through immigration and the cases were already on the carousel. 15 minutes transfer to the hotel, welcomed by happy faced staff, quick check in and taken to our pool view room by golf buggy. Call from reception after 15 minutes to check all is OK.

I emailed the hotel a week prior to arrival specifically asking for an upstairs room close to the pool and a full size bed (not a pull down) for my daughter. Amr Ashraf on reception had organised this perfectly, thank you Amr!

The rooms are of excellent size with a large balcony, modern finish with 32” plasma. BBC world news on channel 4, English movies on channel 15 & 16. Be warned, the beds and pilow are hard. The room cleaner came everyday in the afternoon, made the beds, changed the towels but would not say it was spotlessly clean. I think the room cleaner is confused, I would normally tip when I have had a good service not to get a good service!

A big plus is free wifi in the lobby area, great to catch up with home without time restrictions for the normal wifi voucher costs.

The brochure will tell you that breakfast and evening dinner is served in the main restaurant and lunch is either at the beach restaurant or main restaurant. Unfortunately the hotel have closed the beach restaurant due to low season therefore all meals are served in the main restaurant. A bit of a pain because you wouldn’t wear wet swimwear and need to change before lunch. However visits to the main restaurant was always made a joy by Sammy, Ahmed & Mohammed, excellent service, thanks guys. The food throughout the day was always good, not a massive choice but comparable with any other hotel we have stayed at in Egypt. There wasn’t much queuing due to the hotel being only 40% occupied which was great.

There are two large pools & a shallow kiddies, one of the larger pools is heated, not a warm bath but acceptable after the initial get in!! Shame the sunken pool bar is in the unheated pool.

There is waiter service at the pool, Alaa is an exceptional guy, always smiling and walks miles around the pool all day making sure guests are served. Give this guy a rise, made my holiday!!!! Lots of tips for Alaa.

Another waiter worth a big mention was Sam in the Marsa bar. Extremely polite and couldn’t do enough for you, kept bringing fresh drinks without asking for them.

There is a beach bar where we would often go for sun downers, Baseem the waiter, again a good attentive waiter. Unfortunately there were high winds for most of our visit so the jetty for snorkelling was closed but people still managed a dip in the shallows.

The animation team were great, always doing something with the quests but no major hassling to join in.

Negatives

Stop trying to sell the specialised restaurants around the pool and at the beach, why don’t they put a menu list in the rooms and I’m sure guests will be more persuaded to use them!! Same goes for the spa and salon.

Room checkout is 12 noon but we were being picked up at 3.45pm. When I enquired to extend the room to 2pm the reception insisted that there is a charge of 25 Euros This is fine but the hotel was only 40% occupied. Surely it is better service to let guest keep their rooms a little longer encouraging them to return in the future. This is especially true as it is free if you are a returning guest.

In summary, if you want a week, and that’s long enough, of relaxation with great waiters, decent food and a bit of winter sun, go to the Resta Grand. I would say you get a little bit more than what you pay for! But do it quick, they are building lots more rooms and it will be difficult to maintain the great service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Codmans

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We recently took a group of 28 customers to the hotel for a diving and snorkelling holiday. There were a mixed group from 10 to late 50's. not one person complained about anything in the hotel. The heated pool kept the kids happy, the bar and bar staff kept the 20 year olds happy and the rooms, food and overall excellent service kept everyone happy.

The rooms were clean and well kept, although a few people found the beds a little on the firm side.

The all inclusive buffet had a great selection of food and the BBQ each night made us Brits feel like it was a quality summer evening at home despite it being February.

We dived with Emperor next door which made life convenient and meant we had a few more minutes in bed. We will definitely be returning next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank OysterDiving
chelmsford
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was one of the best hotels we have stayed in, the staff were briliant, especially Hamdy in the main restaurant, Aree was brilliant around the pool waiter service, the hotel room we had, was a seaview and was fab! All around the hotel was very clean and all the staff in the whole hotel were really friendly and lovely.
The food in the main restarant was very good, and nothing was repeated for the week we stayed, the service in all the bars and restaurant was excellant, we really couldn't find an faults and will be returning later this year.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view, the veiws are fab!
1 Thank sarah h
Bedzin, Poland
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We've been to Egypt many times, but it was our first time in Resta Grand Resort. And we loved it. The room was spacious and comfortable. We had a lovely view at the gardens. The cleaning standard was very high. The customer service was excellent. We were looked after especially well in the Marsa Bar by Sam Mohamed Abdo. Thank you sir!
The food was tasty and there was lots of choices. Fish and see food - fantastic. We had no health problems, seems that higiene standards are also high.
The hotel staff often asked if we were happy with the service, which was nice.
Despite windy conditions (begining of Feb) we had a lovely fortnight. Sun was shining, the pools were heated and well kept. We managed to do snorkelling a few times and the reef is much better than in any other places we've been by the Red Sea.
Thank you very much for the great holidays. We will be back :).
Jacek from Poland

1 Thank jacek_js
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2013

First Impressions on arrival fantastic. All staff very friendly and helpful, especially Amr Ashraf (Front of House) who very kindly allocated our room request, Hamdy Shoman in the main restaurant and Sammy (always smiling). Lobby area in hotel was too smoky for us being non-smokers, a small area outside the bar catered for non-smokers, only few chairs. Our room was very spacious, nice bathroom with shower over bath and a bidet! Flat screen TV with Fox Movies, plenty News channels, Tea & Coffee. Mattress was rather hard, room cleaned every day. Had a room near pool so could nip back if needed the loo – nearest toilets are in hotel or on beach, pool in between, but not that far to walk really. Food was ok if you mixed and match, always plenty of choice, my hubby actually came back with bit of tummy bug, he ate lots meat. Didn't try a la carte restaurants. If this hotel was full, I wouldn't want to stay, was pretty quiet whilst we were there. First couple days, waited to be served a decent hot cuppa T at breakfast as waiters walk round serving it, would be better if an urn was supplied, but our waiter got the hang after 2 days. Entertainment team were Italian, very good during the day, stretching, water polo, water aerobics and salsa. Pool was also warm, but so was the sea. Different shows in the evenings. Overcast first 2 days, black flag was flying so couldn't snorkel but could walk in the shallow part of bay next door at Resta Reef - saw plenty fish, lots clams and starfish and sea snake, interesting. Went on boat trip with Thomson to see turtles and sea cows, I actually don't swim, but fine with life jacket on which they supply, anchored in shallow bay, worst part was the dingy - fuel fumes and sea was a bit choppy - made me feel sick, didn't see any fish - saw more whilst snorkelling by hotel off end jetty, hubby even saw a barracuda – Oooh! White flag usually out between 8-10am when sea is calmer. Went on trip to Al Quesir - typical Egyptian Village where locals live - very interesting and an eye-opener - hubby bought some flippers for £13 which we paid for in sterling, gave out £1 coins to little kiddies who followed us around, don't bother taking Egyptian money, 5th time in Egypt and get better rate there if you need to change money. Walked round to Lamaya Hotel for a nose, didn't like the bay as tide was out and alot of hotels surrounded this bay also, Resta Grand was more secluded. We would go back mainly for the snorkelling, staff and the area. Thomsons return flight was the most uncomfortable flight ever been on - seats too hard! Food also not good, but had a pizza at the Airport before takeoff. Thomas Cook don't fly direct to Marsa Alam, 3hr journey from Hurgada by coach! Great holiday overall, thanks to all staff who work hard to please. Would definitely go back here, on real downer back in UK - Snow!

Room Tip: Everyone has their own personal choice, I think all buildings are nicely located, we opted for pool...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank skippysue_11
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Myself and my partner aged 26yrs old went from 12/2-19/2 (1 week in total). I know you're supposed to write a review purely on the hotel; however I feel that its also important to mention what company you go with and the weather etc; especially as I booked this as a package holiday!
Therefore; first of all a special mention goes out to Thomson holidays, who are most probably the best company I've travelled with yet, and I've travelled with several!! The rep is always there when you need her, flights were great and they constantly ask you for your feedback - which I think proves why they're so good, which they never used to be.
The hotel is 10 minutes if not slightly less away from the airport which is so convenient, and the airport is tiny which makes it so much easier to get through security etc at a decent speed!
Check-in at the hotel was great. As soon as we arrived we were given a glass of fresh apple juice in a Champagne glass, and we were driven to our room within 5 minutes of arriving; our suitcases were then delivered straight after.
Upon entering the room, the TV had a personal message welcoming us by our names which was a lovely touch, and then someone from reception phoned us within the first 15 minutes of us entering our room to check everything was ok.
Something that I've noticed on here is that no-one mentions what the weather is like... Why??! Surely the weather is just as important at a hotel which you go to as a package holiday as the hotel feedback? Anyway; it was absolutely boiling hot, around 24-28 degrees most days although the winds were really strong some days which made it feel slightly cold but you still got a great tan from the sun... Of which I made the mistake thinking that because it felt cold on the first day i didnt bother with cream etc, and then I accidentally fell asleep in the sun - believe me I've never had such bad sun stroke in my whole life!!! So dont be fooled by the winds at this time of year, the suns still out going strong!!
The pool area is great... There's 3 pools; 1 for kids, 1 warm pool and 1 extremely cold pool which i refused to get into it was so cold. The cold pool is also the pool bar which was disappointing as I couldnt get in it without freezing to death!
Special mention to Aleer, the waiter at the pool who was great. Brought us drinks whenever we needed/wanted one; sometimes without even asking us! So lovely.
Ok, here's the part that you're all probably going to slate me for... The entertainment team only like you or show interest in you if you have young children. Yes they do yoga and aqua aquatics during the day, but if they ask you to join in and you say no once; they ignore you for the rest of the holiday. For example, they asked me on the first day just after we arrived to the hotel if we wanted to get in the pool and do aqua arobics, we politely said no thankyou and they walked off with attitude and never approached us again; except for when the director of the hotel arrived on our last day and sat behind me at the pool; in which case one of the entertainers approached us and was actually quite polite to me... But obviously I knew why.
Second issue was that you are constantly nagged either around the pool and/or at the beach by Salesmen trying to sell you massages, scuba diving/snorkling trips, meals in a restaurant that you have to pay for (even though you spend all that money on paying for all inclusive) and lots of other stuff. Even after we said no, we were still approached 3-4 times a day by the same people asking us if we'd change our minds... If I'm being honest it drove us up the wall to the point that we actually made a complaint to reception!!! We did however pay to go for a special meal one night to the Marsa Alam Club restaurant to celebrate my birthday, one of the salesmen who wasnt pushy at all talked us into going; it was quite expensive but we had 5 courses each, i was given a red rose on arrival and we eat lobster, muscles etc you name it, and they baked me a surprise birthday cake and all came together to our table to sing happy birthday to me (Courtesy of Muhammed - the restaurant manager, such a nice guy!!) :)
There's what they call an arcade inside the hotel that has a few shops... do not go in there unless you're brave enough, its like a trap! Once you get in, you cant get out. We had an 'altercation' with the perfume selling guy as he was rude to us and wouldnt let us go unless we bought anything, his name was Muhammed and he scared the life out of me!
Food was really good and fresh, although a lot less variety as its out of season... but gorgeous beef, chicken, pasta, pizza, salad etc... was really nice.
The hotel was only half full, not busy at all which i quite liked.
You need to take a couple of books with you as there's absolutely nothing to do other than relax and indulge, which was what we wanted to do anyway; unless you pay extra to do the trips which i thought were quite expensive. (For example: The snorkling trip was around £35-£40 each for a 4 hour trip!!)
The alcoholic cocktails are gorgeous, and they're so generous with the alcohol... I was pretty much close to drunk by the 3rd cocktail; they serve nothing but doubles with 2 or 3 different types of spirits in each!! The beer is also very lovely.
Another thing I would suggest is that they install a toilet at the pool area, as having to walk all the way back to your room just for a pee whilst sunbathing is a pain in the bum to say the least.
Evening entertainment is mainly for kids in a seperate room, or you can go in the main Marsa Alam Club House bar and listen to a woman sing at the front of the room using what sounded like a cheap kareoke cd... I honestly thought she wasn't that good, although a few reveiws on here suggets that she was; we ended up just going for a walk around the beach etc with our drinks.
Wifi is only available in the reception, fresh water is always provided on a daily basis in the fridge in the rooms, although the maid was absolutely rubbish. He just came in everyday and repeatedly turned the sheets over! We tipped just to get some towel art, but didnt get any :(
Finally, the part that literally devastated me was the beds... They feel like you're sleeping on a plank of wood and the pillows are exactly the same... Just awful!!! I had to fold up towels and use cushions on a couple of occasions, so disappointing to say the least... I took paracetamol pretty much every night to prevent the headaches I was getting from the nights sleep. I usually like a firm bed aswel, but this was firm on another level!
Apart from the few negatives, it was a lovely relaxing and refreshing holiday, the Egyptian's cant do enough for you and yes i would return... With my own pillows etc in tow obviously :)

Room Tip: All the rooms are great location!
3 Thank Samantha O
Sheffield
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Firstly repost of helpful tip from previous reviewers - thankyou! One the plane they will tell you a visa is £13 (translation it is £13 if you go to the Thomson agent at the airport). If you queue at the bank on the left hand side of arrivals it will cost £10 and you will get handy change for the hotel porter!

Very relaxing holiday. What makes it special are the friendly and efficient staff from the porters to the gardeners. Check in was easy and efficient. The rooms are in small blocks have everything you need including "firm beds". Blessed with quiet neighbours we had no problems at all other than occasional missing water/creamer for the tea/coffee!

The hotel was only half full which meant there was no overcrowding - no dining room chaos, no need to reserve sunbeds and no queues for drinks. They are building more rooms and I hope they dont spoil it by packing too many people in for the facilities.

Resta Hotels obviously listen to their customers and we experienced in many cases the best service we have had anywhere including three 5* hotels in Sharm. The guest services lady Natalia actually walks around the guests asking how you are finding things and if we could improve anything which was a first!

The pool area is spacious divided into 3 - a kids pool, a heated pool and an unheated pool which was freezing! The first couple of days we were deluged by spa staff, beauty parlour staff and a la carte restaurant staff which was a bit much, but they were very polite and once they realised you werent interested or had been captured already left you alone. They might do better if they just left menus and price lists in your room and let you decide at leisure. A special mention to Alaa the pool waiter who worked so hard to serve drinks to everyone all day long. The Italian animation team also worked very hard all day providing games and exercise classes.. They might consider building a quiet adult pool away from the music, sales reps etc for when you just need some peace and quiet. They also need a toilet block in the pool area as others have said.

The beach area is terraced with a beach bar also - didnt get too much use while we were there due to the cool breeze. There is a jetty to use at the Resta Reef next door which is well worth taking your snorkels to see the reefs and fish - only got in a couple of times because you are only allowed in when the water is calm enough which wasnt often in February.

The Space restaurant is fine, the food was excellent both in quality and choice - people said not always hot but if all guests put the lids back on the dishes this would be largely alleviated. The chefs were very friendly and helpful. They need a tip box for the kitchen staff as people really want to reward them and passing money over in the dining room and hoping it gets shared is not ideal. Another Egyptian hotel had a central tip box for all departments which was great when you wanted to reward a team of people. We were well served with drinks by Ahmed and Sami, but when they were not around as other people have commented you could wait forever for a drink..Some of the staff collected plates and no one seemed to be tasked with looking for tables without glasses or with empty ones. You can help yourself to water and juice.

The Marsa club bar fills up pretty quickly in the evening where they have a really good singer called Hayley. The space is half taken up by one of a la cartes which was under utilized as it is extra and because people wanted to be inside in the warm they could have done with the space. You can also sit in the lobby area where there is wifi (very slow).The cocktails were the best Ive had in Egypt - in other hotels they were undrinkable. There are all the usual local spirits, beer and soft drinks you would expect. The shows are held in a conference room off the lobby.

There is a shopping precinct off the lobby with a few shops, a chemists and a cash machine where you can change notes into Egyptian money. There is a shuttle service in the evening to Port Ghalib Marina where there are more shops and cafes. Other than that there are a few small shops opposite the Resta Reef but there is nowhere to wander around at night and no fixed price stores if you hate haggling. Thomson do quite a few trips to Luxor, Cairo etc if you have not been before. Was hoping to go to Abu Simbel but this is a 2 day road trip and costs £200!

All in all if whether you are happy to be hotel based or want to use it as a base for trips or diving you will enjoy it. Take plenty of books.

1 Thank Sprok