“Hotel in need of a clean-up but wonderful animation team!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Port Ghalib Resort

Port Ghalib Resort
Ranked #20 of 72 Hotels in Marsa Alam
Antwerp, Belgium
“Hotel in need of a clean-up but wonderful animation team!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Me and my girlfriend just spend 6 days in the Crown Plaza Sahara Oasis hotel. Overall it was a good hotel, but the hotel needs a big clean up (more attention to hygiene, ...)
On the other hand the staff of the hotel were very friendly and were always eager to help you.
We were also very pleased that there was such a wonderful animation team - special thanks go out to the SUNNY FUNNY HOLIDAYS ALWAYS HAPPY Team - especially Roma, Sveta, Loca, Sam en Anna!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ellen-Koen
Claudio M, Hotel Manager at Port Ghalib Resort, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Ellen,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent vacation to Marsa Alam, and for your constructive comments regarding the cleanness of our property; please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations on this aspect.

I am delighted to read your feedback in regards to our associate’s level of commitment to satisfy our guests and for recognizing the effort of our international animation team.

The team and I would like to thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back at Crowne Plaza Sahara Oasis Port Ghalib Resort in the near future!

With My Best Regards,

Claudio Melli
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
щелково
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

I don't know if there is paradise or not, I have not been there, but I have been to Egypt, Marsa Alam at Crowne Plaza. I am sure it is much better! (Alexey Gromov. Russia. May 2012)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Max G
Hotel M, Guest Relations Team at Port Ghalib Resort, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Alexey,

Thank you for staying in Crowne Plaza Sahara Oasis and for taking the time to share your experience with us. it was our great pleasure to welcome you during your vacation.
We were so pleased to get to know that you have enjoyed your time in our Resort, in this regards please rest assured that i will share your kind comments with our team members.
we hope to be of service to you in the nearest future, till then please accept our sincerest regards.
Egypt
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

I have just spent in this hotel 4 nights with my husband and lovely son. I stayed in this hotel 3 nights before in 2009 but at that time it was far better. It was half board not all inclusive so food was really nice and variable. At this stay there are some pros some cons. Food for example is not good at all, I spent the first 2 nights having only white cheese for my dinner because i have nothing else good to eat. I spoke to the restaurant officials and things became a little better later but still not as our first stay in 2009. The room was still as nice and clean in spite of the fact that house keeping is not as before. At one night our room was not cleaned at all although we were not making check out next morning. In 2009 our room was cleaned every morning and at one night it was cleaned another time when were enjoying our dinner (that we can no more enjoy because of lack of good food). Of course see is amazing and the staff, like any other 5 stars staff, is trying to make you happy. Special thanks to Iman at the restaurant.I used the pool bathroom once and it was really dirty and of awful smell. It seems that they forgot to clean it as our room. Yet do not think that I will repeat my visit. The hotel is not as good as it used to be.

Room Tip: not my favorite hotel any more
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank EgyptHoneymooner
Claudio M, Hotel Manager at Port Ghalib Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for your review and the comments about our service.
We value your feedback and we will certainly work on improving our Restaurant services and services in general, we do highly give a full attention to your comments and we will do what is necessary to exceed our valued guests' expectations..
Looking forward to welcoming you and your friends in our Resort.
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

Was surffing the net to see if can find a nice cozy warm and attractice place to spend few days of relaxation and found that Crown Plazaa Sahara Port Ghalib was the place was looking for. I really enjoyed my stay and wanna thank everyone who made my stay to great. Thank you all

Room Tip: The whole place is wonderful
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank nouni64
Dear Nouni,

We were so pleased to get to know that you have enjoyed your time in our Resort and that our team and the services provided were up to your expectations. You have my full assurance that we will share this kind feedback with all the team members.
we hope to be of service to you in the nearest future for more pleasant vacation.
brussels
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

we were at the sahara oasis in couple with family (couple of 32years and son of 4y old) in end of november during a week.
positive facts:
-very nice garden, wide beach with chairs and umbrellas, nice and warmed swimming pool, clean towels
-calm resort, nicely lighted after sunset (in november, that means from 5pm)
- lobby with sofas, fountains and bar in oriental style perfectly cleaned
-smart and comfortable rooms, specially the bathroom with large italian shower, coffee, tea and mineral water renewed everyday, free securitybox. The room is perfectly cleaned.
-nice food , very good pasta and pizza (real oven) (chief is italian)
negative facts:
- the restaurant! as said by numerous guests before, it's really bad organised. we had every evening problem about finding free table for 5persons! once we had to eat at a corner reserved for the animation team. And they closed part of the indoor restaurant when it was overcrowded, and opened freezing outside corner! inside airconditionning going freezing, while temperature outside was 10°c. The rush was from the beginning till 8.30pm, it's very late for child of 4y old! The restaurant has different thematic corners with different food, wich is a good idea, but the decoration is just like a cafeteria. Furniture look like turkish taverna, lighting very dark or whiteshining, depending where you are! it's just 3stars level.
- service: it's really the awful aspects! you never get your drinks in time and most guests praticed the self service at least for coffee, tea and other drinks. it's same situation for the swimming pool bar et the lobby bar. we gave good tips to be well served after 2 days. it was little bit better.
- no food for children: you have to ask and wait 30 minutes for nuggets or french fries after good tip!
- animation: really poor, no music at the lobby bar (only place to be between sunset and dinner time), the 2 shows happenened outside in a cool place (you must wear knits ans mantels)
-hot running water: showers got horribly hot and cold,sometimes burning you, be very careful for babies and children!

conclusion: it's nice place to stay during low season, but not value for money in high season and we think that with more guests, the restaurant wil unpraticable,

Room Tip: rooms on basic level are "waked up" by gardeners at 6am!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank minhue
IHGCare, IHGCare at Port Ghalib Resort, responded to this review, December 28, 2011
Dear minhue,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in all aspects of your stay. Whilst I am pleased with your compliments on our lobby and nice and comfortable room, I truly value the comments about our restaurant service as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we already do. We will address these points and I hope that when you return you will see the improvements that have been made. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention.

Lin S.
IHGCare
Luxembourg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

Just been for a week to the Crowne Plaza in Port Ghalib - wanted a quiet week of relaxing in some warm weather. Overall conclusion - the hotel is a bit disappointing, especially as it brands itself as 5-star.

The hotel is part of a resort complex of three hotels (different brands of the same Group, IHG) with many of the leisure facilities shared. The resort is part of a conference facility - the Conference Centre was just across the road - but in a very quiet area.

I was on an on an ‘all inclusive’ package but found that not very much is inclusive. OK, I’m lying a bit - yes, three meals a day, snacks and drinks are all included, but there is no mini-bar in the room. Well there’s one there but it was switched off - I’m not looking for racks of beers and spirits, but the room was quite a distance from any of the bars and it would have been nice to have a few soft drinks and nibbles nearby.

Talking of the room, it was comfortable enough…sofa, bed etc. But I also wanted to do a bit of work - as might guests visiting for a conference - and the room was really not suitable for this. There was no desk area, just a small table, maybe 18 x 30 inches, nowhere near the socket for the internet, which meant there was a cable trailing around the room. I guess this was recognised by the hotel management because the cable was long enough (around 8 or 9 yards probably) to reach the little table. Fortunately there was a little stool that was a good height for sitting at the little table.

On, and the internet – it was incredibly expensive and offered very slow data rates…..when it was working. There were long periods without internet access at all - quite probably this was not the fault of the hotel but just made the cost seem all the more unjustified.

One major gripe - the shower! Nice pressure, plenty of hot water, too much in fact sometimes. The temperature adjustment doesn’t seem to be thermostatic and so every time someone nearby turns one of their taps on or off the shower temperature jumps up or down. Not just a little - I came close to scalding a sensitive part on one occasion (just one more downside of going bald, I guess). It didn’t make for relaxing showers, continually being poised to jump out if the temperature wavered at all. The last time I experienced anything like that was in a guesthouse in Blackpool…and there’s no way that I would expect it at a 5-star brand.

Having said all that, the room was nicely decorated and clean.

The food offering was disappointing too. Day after day it had a very ‘samey’ feel to it - different ingredients but the same sauces. When there was something good it often seemed to be notable from the empty tureens (or whatever those dishes are called) which took ages to be refilled or replaced. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t unpalatable, just boring. Quite a few things appeared to be made from packet mixes - I may be doing the chefs an injustice, in which case I’m sorry, but the desserts particularly seemed to be mainly bought in.

Breakfasts seemed to highlight some of the disappointments in the restaurant. While all the usual options were available, there was limited choice in several areas. One which particularly rankled was the choice of jams – there was apricot or strawberry…every day. Nothing else. I can’t believe that costs would spiral out of control if there were one or two other ‘flavours’ offered! And the fruit juices (well, the OJ anyway) were packet mixes and rather chemical-ish - again, it seems such an obvious economy and one which detracts significantly from the hotel experience in my view (I like a nice breakfast, can you tell?).

The staff were - in the main - great. One or two seemed to be just ‘going through the motions’ but these few were usually easily avoided and more than compensated for by some real characters who genuinely appeared to enjoy themselves and their work!

Overall, it was a good break away from it all. I might well go back sometime for the peace and quiet but I’ll be looking for another hotel. It wasn’t awful, but then again it wasn’t the ‘relaxing, good food and don’t worry about anything’ break that I’ve experienced elsewhere in Egypt. It was a last-minute break and I picked the hotel because it is an international brand and I thought I knew what I would be getting - based as much as anything on business stays I've made at other Crowne Plazas - but this was a rather different different standard.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Gaz58
IHGCare, ihgcare at Port Ghalib Resort, responded to this review, December 23, 2011
Dear Gaz58,

Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel. I certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced

While you noted the decor and cleanliness of the hotel as being positives, I was sorry to hear some aspects did not meet your expectations. All of our reviews are evaluated by management, and your review is no exception. We strive to provide the best guest experience possible, and will use some of the feedback you’ve provided to further improve our service.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Brenda J.
IHGCare
Zurich/Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

Some of reasons why we will choose again
Crowne Plaza Sahara Sands/Oasis
next year, the 4th time

THE SMALL PARADISE at Port Ghalib, Marsa Alam / Egypt

 Only 4 – 6 flight hours from Central Europe
 Only 10 car minutes from Airport Marsa Alam
 Small airport, without crowds (only 2 to 6 flights per day)
 After arrival usually at the exit within 30 minutes
 Very quiet location, inside the hotel only small club cars. The few planes per day flying over in about 1000 m height during airport approach do not disturb at all
 Hotel only 10 to 15 walking minutes from the modern yacht port Port Ghalib, with some good restaurants, cafés and small food and souvenir shops. Very clean and safe port area, nice and long palm promenade along the shore, no harassment on the streets, ideal for longer quiet walks, well illuminated at night.

Hotel resort
 Architecturally beautifully built
 Unique big lobby, a masterpiece architecturally
 Lobby with reception, bar, nicely decorated side sitting rooms, outside terraces with beautiful view onto the long stretched lagoon
 Big resort with countless big palms and with beautifully landscraped and maintained flower gardens, everything well maintained
 Whole hotel site and lagoon nicely illuminated at night

Beach / Sea
 Private hotel beach approx. 1,5 km long (mainly rougher sand), with beautiful onward walk along the sea to Port Ghalib (10 – 15 walking minutes, see above)
 Depending on location of room, just 1 to 5 minutes nice walk, without stairs
 Beach chairs with solid sunshades and wind shields, slightly elevated from sea level, thus with beautiful view over the sea. Only two rows of beach chairs arranged parallel along three sections of the long beach
 Solid broad jetty over the shore of the coral reef, with solid stairs into the sea for snorkeling and swimming
 Early morning the sea is often very calm, depending on wheather condition, so that swimming is possible off the jetty without problem
 Unique coral reef with well preserved colourful corals and large tropical fish stock, incl. turtles etc., ideal for snorkeling
 Good attention and support of the guests by hotel staff on the beach and the end of the jetty

Swimming lagoon with sea water
 Second biggest artificial sea water lagoon of the world, built inmidst and stretched throughout the hotel complex (lagoon surface: about 8500 square metres, contents: 9,45 million litre salt water. 7 litre fresh sea water is continuously pumped in per second
 Ideal for swimming as depth in the whole length of the lagoon is always minimum 1 metre deep
 Nicely arranged „sand beaches“ around the lagoon, with many beach chairs
 Clean and being well maintained every morning by special staff
 High salt contents due to the evaporation of the sea water. For example a newspaper can be read by lying on the back of the body, alike in the Dead Sea. This is unique and unprecedented for a hotel
 The high salt contents of the lagoon sea water have a positive effect for human skins.!

Sweetwater swimming pool
 Nice bigger swimming pool with sweetwater, with many chairs and parasols. If somebody does not like the animation activities there are many other quiet places (lagoon, beach).

Restaurant
 Nicely concepted and decorated main restaurant with various single and smaller sized sections with nice designs (no canteen impression)
 Very large outside terrace directly at the lagoon for breakfast, lunch and dinner

Meals
 Daily theme buffets in main restaurant (Oriental, International, Indian, Italian etc.),
 Big variety, choice and variation of buffets with good quality, nicely presented
 Good service by service staff

Guest rooms
 Located in single or double storey buildings only
 Nice concept and well equipped, with garden, lagoon or sea view. Rooms with sea view close and parallel to the sea with 180 degree sea view
 Good size of guest rooms
 Comfortable large beds
 Generous bath rooms, with large shower (approx. 2 m2)
 Good daily cleaning
 With fridge and water cooker
 Nice furnished terrace or balcony

Hotel staff

 Whether at the reception, restaurant, bar, room attendance, beach – everywhere friendly and helpful staff
 Attentive hotel management

Possibilities for improvements

As valid for the best hotel in the world there are always possibilities for improvements, for example:

 Restaurant staff could be trained even trained
 Better cleaning of the restaurant tables when new guests sit down
 Command of foreign languages (English) of some of the staff should be improved

Eventualities

 In case of higher occupancy rate of the hotel the seating capacity in the main restaurant could become limited. Danger of longer waiting times to get a table. Also queues at the buffet would be unavoidable.

 Big groups, for example due to the presence of hundreds of congress or conference participants (hotel has an attached congress center) could negatively influence the holiday effect for the individual guests.

Room Tip: Rooms with 180 degree sea view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple