“great break”
Review of Al Malikia Resort

Al Malikia Resort
Ranked #18 of 68 Hotels in Marsa Alam
Reviewed March 16, 2013

went here for some rest and charge the batteries and was not dissapointed the room was clean and well equipped the house the housekeeper made excellent towell sculptures, food was very varied and well cooked with fresh grilled meats on the terrace, the waiters were very helpful getting drinks when i wanted and remembering what i drank and having it ready when i came in for meals, the snorkling was fantastic seeing a wide variety with every swim and turtles up so close. the staff on the beach were great always had time for a chat as with the beach peddlers selling massage trips ets were great to talk to and the massaage i had made me feel great after all day swimming well worth it. ask the guys on reception for anything and they will try to help this is one of he best in the region and i will be back this year.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room without interconnecting door.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,984)

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was our second visit to this hotel and we were not disappointed. The staff are wonderful, the location is excellent, the snorkeling is the best, the beach lovely. The coral is in good condition, there is a fantastic variety of fish and we swam with the turtles. It was also very relaxing. We will be staying there again on our next visit to the Red Sea.

1  Thank sennofer
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have never written a review before, but this hotel is one of the best we have stayed in and I felt that I had to compliment the Manager and all the staff for providing such an excellent service. My wife and I stayed for two weeks from the 5th February and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. So much so that we are planning to go back again.
The hotel itself is clean, the food is good with a varied choice in the main restaurant. There is also the beach bar which serves burgers, stir fry, chips, pasta etc, which we used every day. The beach bar manager Mamoud is excellent, he has a very infectious smile. Hassan usually had our drinks ready when he saw us coming off the beach, He would shout "England" when he saw me and I would shout back "Egypt"
Our waiter in the main restaurant was called Rafaat and he kept us amused with tricks and puzzles with cocktail sticks.
We have been to a different hotel in Marsa Alam twice before and we picked this hotel because of the reports of excellent snorkeling, it wasn't disappointing. I saw many different fish, squid, rays, guitar sharks and the turtles were there every day. Unfortunately I didn't see the dugong although someone said they saw it while we were there. You can walk into the sea from the beach unlike many other hotels where you have to enter from a pier into deep water. This was good for my wife as she is not a strong swimmer.
We stayed in room 2134 and had a good view of the beach and bay, most of the rooms looked as though they had a sea or pool view.
The General Manager, Nagy, was visible every day and was inspecting all areas of the hotel. He is a very approachable guy and was very receptive of our comments.
When you buy anything in the shops they all asked for euro's, so it may be useful to take some with you.
We can't recommend this resort enough. We have travelled to many hotels in many countries and this is one of the best.

So thank you Nagy and all your staff for a wonderful holiday.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank 996AndyB
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The best place for diving or snorkeling people. You can not hope better from the hotel. Restaurant services and the food quality was amazing experience. Warm swimming pool was +++ that time of the year. We met the dogong ( manat ) in the water and many turtles too.

1  Thank jopolle
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for two weeks from the 30th of Jan to the 13th of February, and we can honestly say that it's the best holiday which either of us has ever had. I have been to Egypt (and many of other countries) many of times before, this was my 7th visit and even though it wasn't the most expensive or the highest star rating, to me, it was definitely the best hotel with some amazing and friendly staff.
First off I will say that for the first 5 days there were only two couples from England (including us) which were at our hotel- the majority of the guests were Italian, German, Polish, etc, so if you want mainly English guests this is not the hotel for you! We never had a problem. Everyone, including other guests and staff were more than happy to speak in English (which the Egyptian staff actually prefer and find easier).
All the staff are amazingly friendly and always happy, even the cleaners, happily brushing down the paths always said "hello" or "good morning", which really does make a difference. The rooms are lovely, very big with plenty of storage space. Also the shower was pretty powerful and goes nice and hot, something that you don't always get! We were in room 2123 and our cleaner always made sure that our room was spotless with fresh towels and pretty much every day left us a lovely little towel animal on our bed. The TV had 4 English channels, BBC News, Fox Movies, 2 movies and Dubai One. Oh I also loved that the safe in our room was electronic so you can reset the safe and enter your own code to use. This was very simple and much better than many other hotel safes I have encountered.
There are loads of shops which are located underneath the restaurant, just in case you forget any of your holiday essentials and also do souvenirs to take home with you. Also Sampo the sandman as we called him has a stall selling his hand made sand designs, which are perfect to take home as presents, and he even puts names in them for you- superstar! You also have the health club, providing massages, beauty treatments and haircuts and the health club also has a gym, free to use on all inclusive. This was a bit disappointing - the only thing all holiday. All of the gym equipment was very old and to me, didn’t seem overly great to use. I had a more chance of injuring myself than doing any good. A lot of people don't use the gym on holiday though, so this was not a big issue.
The bar was located within the reception, we didn’t have a problem with this as we liked to get up early so we were not out drinking during the night, but I believe that they did a lot of the nightly entertainment and the mini disco in the bar/reception area, so it could get rather loud if you just wanted a quiet drink, there is also a theatre just out the front of the reception, but again we didn’t pay that a visit. I must say usually the entertainment teams at hotels are very annoying and constantly on your case, the team at this hotel were very pleasant and after a couple of days didn’t hassle you at all, also Mido who was part of the entertainment team was excellent and a nice guy to be around. He managed to persuade me to play darts and volleyball, unheard of for me, but I did rather enjoy myself! Unfortunately the entertainment at this hotel is done through a large company and is constantly changing so I cannot comment on what the current team is like but a big well done to Mido - You were awesome!!
The food in the main restaurant was pretty good, breakfast tends to be the same each morning you have the usual selection of cooked food on the hot buffet, a selection of different pastries and also a cold section of fruit, cereals and cheeses. They also have a fresh cooked-to-order omelette stand where they will also cook you fried eggs and pancakes. We only ate lunch in the restaurant once or twice but the lunch time buffet was much the same as what it is in the evening. There is a desert counter in the middle of the room, which has fruit and sweet cakes, always had a lovely choice, lots of chocolate! There is also a cold/starter section at lunch and Dinner, where they have different salads made up every day also two soups and a bread selection, also in this section there is a carver with some type of meat or fish. They then also have the grills, one outside, which I THINK is only during the evening and usually does some sort of meat on the BBQ and also the grill inside where the kitchen doors are. This varies each night & lunch time, one night we had Taco's - amazing!!! The hot buffet, lunch & dinner always had the following dishes: rice, beef, vegetables, potatoes, fish, pasta and a few vegetarian options. There were also 3 or so dishes which changed every day. The dishes varied each day in different styles and sauces each day. We always found lots that we liked and never once had any issues which a dodgy stomach. The restaurant preformed very well and also had a large selection of drinks and the staffs were great- thank you for your service!
The majority of our lunches we ate at the beach bar and all I can say about the beach bar are that the staffs there are lovely! The manager- Mahmoud- was great and could never do enough for us, also Mohamed and Hassam - who done the bar and waiting - were great for the whole two weeks, they were so lovely each day we saw them and always worked so hard!! Mohamed- we hope you enjoyed your holiday, you deserved it! Each lunch time the beach bar done a "sandwich of the day" so things like burgers, kofta, hot dogs, with chips and also pastas and fresh salads to go with it. They also did freshly cooked pizza to order, which were to die for! Mohamed would just ask as you came to sit down "pizza?" And they were lovely every time.
One evening we went for a seafood meal with the beach bar team. We paid £45 or 50€ for both of us and couldn’t believe what we got for that. We turned up expecting it to be full of people.... it was just us, with a lovely candle lit table. We had a large bottle of water and a drink each included, neither of us is a big drinker so this was perfect! Five minutes after we sat down they bought us sliced baguette with cheese and prawns as an appetiser. We then had a huge pile of fresh calamari each... I have never seen so much on one plate! It was delicious! We thought then we would have our main - No! Another plate full of a seafood risotto, with a selection of crab and squid within it, it really was amazing. After that they bought out our mains. A mini BBQ type box and popped it on the table. Upon it was: Lobster, 2 Crabs, Barracuda, 2 HUGE prawns and more calamari. There was so much on there I thought it must be to share - then they bought another one! It was all beautiful, especially the barracuda! They also made us each a huge Tiramisu for dessert, without the alcohol, but again it was still amazing. For the money it really was a brilliant meal and worth every penny! Thank you to the beach bar team- Mahmoud, Mohamed and Hassam you definitely made our holiday with that meal! Excellent!!
The swimming pool was very large and lagoon style but only the children’s pool was heated during the winter so we were never around the pool area. It was very nice, clean and tidy with two bars, one a swim up, a towel hut and plenty of sun beds available.
The beach was gorgeous, all sand with loads of sun beds, umbrellas & windbreaks available. Also had a towel hut the guys were lovely, always took us to a bed and tucked our towels in. They were greatly the whole holiday- both Mohamed's and Ahmed, thank you for time, they were always more than happy to top and chat and always made an effort with the guests.
The snorkelling here is something else. Not a day went by when we didn't see a turtle in the bay, and we were even lucky enough to have a visit from the Dugong 4 days in a row! We managed to get a snorkel in with him as well! Apparently he hadn't been around for two years before that encounter! The house reef is surprising brilliant. A lot of coral at many resorts is destroyed but this is in very good condition and the beach boys are very good and keeping watch on people climbing or getting to close to any of it, thus it is still very beautiful with a fab variety of fish around. What was good also about the beach was that instead of a jetty or rocks it was just gentle sloping sand into the sea, which was great even if you just wanted to swim. There is also another reef at the hotel opposite the Abu Dabbab, which again you can walk in but is deep enough that you can swim over the top, which you were unable to do with the house reef.
We booked our holiday through Thomson and went to our welcome meeting with Hany, the resort rep. He is from Marsa Alam so is very knowledgeable about it and was also very friendly. We didn't book any trips through Thomson though. We wanted to do the Dolphin house trip which was £69 each with Thomson; he also stated that the onsite dive team take you to the wrong place and that with Thomson you get more of a guarantee. We did not take this advice and booked with Sammi and the Diving Ocean team, who wander up the beach or they have their office on the hill side. Thank god we did. We saw a pod of 23 wild dolphins and we were so close that we could touch them and for only £55 each! Brilliant! The exact same trip which Thomson were offering, only cheaper and with a better company! The diving Ocean team were great and made us feel so welcome!! A couple did go with Thomson on the Monday but saw nothing! We were very lucky! The snorkelling on the dolphin trip was also great and it is defiantly worth the money and the day trip for what you see, although dolphins are not guaranteed!
We also did the quad biking trip with Ali, who also again is on the beach every day. We left at 2.30pm and returned around 5.30 pm. It was only my partner and I on our biking trip which was great and our guide took us too many different places in the dessert including seeing the traditional Bedouin people. The quadding was good, with some good fast patches and twisty bumpy roads. We paid £50 for both of us to have a bike each, which was pretty good.

Thank you to all the staff here, as you made our holiday amazing, right up to the last moment we left. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, as it is so laid back and has everything which you need... All I can say is... We are going to be back! Ben & Leah

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank LeahJS
Reviewed February 19, 2013

It was clean, the stuff was really friendly (I especially loved the animation team :) ), the food was good too. But the most amazing thing was the reef next to the hotel. Unforgettable. I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone :)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Matylda J
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I went to this Hotel in January. I have walking difficulties and use a wheel chair on the day of travelling. Before we booked this hotel we asked Thomson if there were any steps - 'yes but there are ramps next to each set of steps' - on this basis we booked. On getting out of the hotel we noticed there are 5 steps into the hotel and the only ramp was very very steep and it took three people to push/pull me up the ramp. When we got to reception and they saw I was in a wheelchair they asked us to wait while they re-allocated out room and the reception manager took us to our room - he insisted on pushing the wheelchair. When we arrived at the pool view/ground floor room and he said 'I didnt know there were steps here, wait I will get someone to lift your wheelchair'

To give the hotel their credit - two days later they had built a concrete ramp to that level of rooms. We explored the hotel while we were there and sea view room are only accessed by stairs there very dangerous steps with no handrails and steep drops on each side to access these rooms

The footpaths are in a dreadful state of repair, I found them extremely hard work.

Apart from these issues I have to say we had a very enjoyable holiday, The staff are wonderful from the gardeners to the management there are smiles and greetings.

The entertainment is usually outside and In January when they always have strong winds it is very cold - in fact some of the entertainment was brought into the lobby bar, because quests were not going in the theatre.

We had paid for a pool view, Thomson have told our travel agent they will refund this charge, it is now 4weeks since this letter was received by them and we are still waiting for the refund - bad customer service by Thomson Head Office - they should be aware this could affect their future customer.

Wendie