“Nice Food-shame about service”
Review of Kitchen Garden

Kitchen Garden
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Kitchen Garden is a relaxed and friendly cafe bistro in the Pembrokeshire gem of Newport. You can find us behind Llys Meddyg in a sunny room opening out into a large garden. We offer fresh fish, small and large plates at very reasonable prices, with organic, locally sourced ingredients and foraged herbs. Food served from 12 - 3pm, and 5.30 to 9pm with tea and homemade cakes all day. Kids welcome.
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Tried this place a few nights ago-what a pretty place.Lovely internal restaurant but much prettier outside in the garden area with flowers growing all around us and staff putting up summery bunting for a wedding party the next day.It looked enchanting.We chose to sit through a far archway at the end of the garden-lovely private spot.Friendly waitress brought us menu-varied , using local produce, all sounded delicious.Ordered drinks, another waitress brought them, promptly broke the prossecco glass all over table, soaking my husbands clothes, which she didnt notice, until she returned with cloth, to find him standing mopping himself. Accidents do happen so hey ho.Food arrived-was all really good-lamb, welsh rump steak, welsh sausages delicious-couldnt fault it.Excellent.Decided to have desserts-asked for menu-we waited-we waited -we waited, Eventually menus arrived-we chose-and we waited, waited, waited, and then gave up !!!

1  Thank Helen P

Reviewed July 22, 2014

What a delight. .
To start we had dressed Newport crab with radish, apple and avocado in a lovely zesty presentation while my partner had delicious salt baked beetroots (amaxing colours and varieties) with delicious Hafod cheese, chicory and a rabit dressing. Wowza!
For mains I had the most delicate, moist Hake with samphire, pak choi with perfect baby new potoatoes while Jane had Preselli lamb with some superb cockle and caper jus and a surprise baby haggis on the side.All washed down with a zingy Corinto chardonnay. Woof!
A superb cheese board to follow for me and a mellow Merlot and for Jane a delightful baked peach with vanilla ice cream.
What a treat, charming and attentive service with added insightful raconteuring from Ed Sykes ...just what we needed. Pembrokeshires finest on great form. Bravo!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My wife and I visited Newport in Pembrokeshire last weekend for the first time, and had the most relaxing holiday we've ever had. Everyone was so friendly and warm towards us, we felt like we had found our second home. On our last day we decided to eat out at a well recommended restaurant close by where we were staying called the Kitchen Garden Restaurant. Tucked away behind Llys Meddyg Hotel, it has a spacious room with glass doors looking out onto a beautiful walled garden with lovely seating areas. We were there for Sunday lunch, and evidently this was a popular place to have it, as there were a fair few people there, but this was not a problem as we were looked after immediately by, as we were to discover, the sweetest most helpful waitress. She found us a table and sorted out our drinks straight away, letting us know the specials and what was available. We went for the roast, my wife had the pork, I had the roast beef. I was aware while we were waiting of how relaxed the atmosphere was, even though it was busy. Everyone was enjoying themselves (it helped that it was a beautiful day), but it struck me that only two people were serving, and yet no one was waiting. Our waitress worked the floor like magic, while the other girl sorted out the drinks, they obviously had a very good system worked out. The roasts arrived, in large bowls, which were full. I've not had a roast in a bowl before, but it is such a good idea, as it keeps everything hot, without mixing anything up. The beef was succulent, with beautifully cooked vegetables and homemade Yorkshire pudding. The pork was tender and delicious. The food and the service was so good, we decided to come back for the evening, as I wanted to try some of the local fish, and I had seen the evening menu, which enticed me. We didn't regret it. I have never tried hake before, but it is a revelation. A beautifully cooked hake, with capers, new potatoes and a delicious salad, washed down with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc, my evening was set. My wife had the mushroom and truffle linguine with Parmesan, and by the expression on her face, her evening was set too. Choosing a dessert was almost impossible, the options all sounded amazing. I eventually decided on the cheesecake with caramel sauce and toasted almonds, my wife had the Eton Mess, a tasty mix of meringue, raspberries and strawberries. Both delicious. We had the same waitress serving us for the evening, she had been working all day, but was as friendly and helpful as she had been for our lunch. She looked like she genuinely loved working there, and this came across, making for a wonderful atmosphere and making our last night a perfect end to a perfect holiday. My wife and I cannot recommend this place enough.

1  Thank Roderick S
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I had dinner at this restaurant with 2 family members and a friend. The place was delightful with a very buzzy saturday night atmosphere. In spite of it being busy the service was attentive and the waitress friendly.
We started our evening in the beautiful garden, where we had a drinks, bread and olives - all very relaxing and enjoyable. We moved into the restaurant to have our meal. I had the lobster, which I thought very good value as it was delicious, and the Eton Mess for pudding was to die for.
We lingered over coffee to enjoy the last moments of a really special evening.

1  Thank 7910Maggie
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We visited this restaurant for Sunday lunch over the August bank holiday weekend. The dining room is light and airy with a very relaxed feel, just our kind of place so we were hoping for good things.

When we arrived there were a number of parties in the garden but the dining room was fairly empty. Even so, it took a while to be asked what we wanted to drink as there were only two waiting staff and they were trying their best to keep everone in the garden happy. The drinks took a while to arrive, but were nice enough when they did.

I ordered the smoked salmon starter, which came as three tiny slices, cut straight down through the fillet, and not very thicky at that. The fish itself was lovely, but it was a most parsimonious helping. The plate came with no bread or toast, and bread had not been offered to the table, so I scrounged some from my partner who had ordered mackeral pate. He seemed to have plenty of pate, which I tasted and was very nice.

Our main courses arrived in bowls. Why anyone thinks that it is a good idea to serve a roast dinner in a bowl I do not know, maybe to hide the lack of food?

My meal (roast rolled belly pork) consisted of one small thin slice of pork which was chewy and virtually tasteless, one small boiled potato and one which I assume was supposed to be roast, but was very pale and not at all crispy, one sliver of carrot, another of roast parsnip, which had suffered the same fate as the 'roast; potato, a small spoonful of creamed leeks, some peas mixed with very crunchy white cabbage and two slices of virtually raw courgette.

My partner chose the beef, which was a thin slice off of a roast sirloin joint, very nicely cooked (rare), but with quite a lot of the fat left on. He was lucky enough to be given very good Yorkshire pudding, and to be honest by now I was feeling a bit left out as there was nothing on my plate (stuffing, apple sauce?) to accompany my pork, nor was it offered separately as mustard was for the beef. To be honest, by this stage I was so disappointed with my meal I did not think to ask. We decided not to order desserts.

This is obviously not a place to eat if you are hungry, and there were some slip ups with the sourcing and cooking of the ingredients. The smoked salmon starter is very expensiive for so little fish and at £12 I think the main was not good value.

This is such a shame as the location is lovely, and we were hoping to be able to support a new local venture, sadly we are unlikely to return.