“Never disappoints! Always excellent!”

The Golden Lion Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

We visit Newport every 6-8 weeks and know we can be confident of an excellent meal, wonderful service and great atmosphere at The Golden Lion! We especially like the sharing plates to start, amazing fish n chips, lamb chops and great choice of specials. Make sure you book if you want to eat in the restaurant especially for week ends!

Reviewed August 1, 2014

Every time I have eaten here I have never been disappointed the food is fabulous, this time we eat in the restaurant which I can highly recommend, not an overly large choice of menu (which I prefer) but there is the addition of a specials board, Must mention the staff as they were most helpful with a friends dietary requirements. I have also eaten from the bar menu the food being equally good.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

This is a great gastropub, with very friendly staff. The food was excellent, and good value too. Highly recommended.

Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

We called into the Golden Lion for spot of lunch and did not leave disappointed.
The service was great and the bar area was very busy (always a good sign). We were shocked when our sandwiches arrived as they were huge, calling it a 'sandwich' didn't do it justice. All of the little extras were freshly prepared and really enjoyed by us! We'll be back!

Reviewed July 29, 2014

My partner and I were blown away by the quality of the food served here, fresh ingredients cooked perfectly. The staff were friendly and the attention to detail was fantastic. We had 3 courses each and the bill came to £53 not including drinks. Well worth it as we were both stuffed. I recommend the pie of the day as it was delicious. Thanks for a lovely evening