“Insulting experience” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Oak

Royal Oak
Cuisines: Indian, Bar, British, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“Insulting experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

I visited Newport with my daughter in May and we decided to eat at the Royal Oak one evening.
We were taken to the back area of the pub by the toilets, out of the way of the other customers. My daughter is 7 but well table trained! She really fancied some garlic bread, which we were told only came as a whole baguette, not a problem. We ordered that, along with two meals.
While we were waiting for our food the television and some of the lights in the back area were switched off, we felt like we were in the way.
The food came, my daughter's about 15 minutes before mine, with no garlic bread. My food, the broccoli bake, was delicious in all fairness, but my daughters was an extremely overpriced plate of chips and beans...with no garlic bread.
When the waitress walked past I reminded her about the garlic bread, she said that she had forgotten and would return with it shortly. We waited about 30 mins for the garlic bread, by this time we had finished our meal. I thanked the waitress but said that as we'd finished the rest of our food we probably wouldn't manage it, but we'd take it home. She said that she hadn't actually charged us, so we were grateful.
A few mins later she reappeared and said that she would have to charge us for the garlic bread which she had originally forgotten to include on our order. I only had a card and no cash, and was told that I would have to pay £10 on my card for the garlic bread and receive the change. The waitress disappeared and when I went to the bar to settle the matter there was a more senior member of staff. I told this lady that I wasn't really happy to pay for the garlic bread as it had arrived nearly an hour after we'd ordered it. She replied by saying "I don't know where you come from but around here if we order something we pay for it". I explained that the waitress had forgotten to include the garlic bread in our order and because it took so long to arrive we were full, she was extremely rude (even after I complimented the broccoli bake) and suggested that I was lying and had ordered the garlic bread half way through the meal but didnt want to pay for it.

Quite insulting after we had spent so much money and waited so long for our food.
Will not be visiting again and have told friends to avoid this restaurant when visiting the area.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank Jessica C

Leigh, United Kingdom
“Extensive menu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

This pub is known as the curry house of Newport but it is much more than that. If you can't find something on this menu you are very fussy. There are plenty of standard pub dishes and plenty of fish dishes. I had the salmon on 2 separate occasions as it was that good. The menu warns you that all the dishes are freshly prepared so there may be a wait. This didn't matter to us but we did see some people worrying that they were waiting too long. The Royal Oak is well worth a visit.

Visited June 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Good old Royal Oak”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

Good old fashioned Welsh pub. Good beers, good food, good service. We had dinner and lunch during our stay and enjoyed them both although the portions were too large for me. I left some of the food, not that I didn't enjoy the meal, I just couldn't eat any more

Visited June 2014
“Awesome Sunday Lunch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

We ate here today and enjoyed one of the best Sunday lunches. The welcome was warm, the service excellent and the food very tasty, plentiful and hot. Plenty of of choice of vegetables (cauliflower cheese, red cabbage, carrot/swede, broccoli, parsnips, roast & mash potatoes) and lots of meat. Nice choice of delicious puds too! Will definitely return and visit this pub again!

Visited May 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Bangla on curry”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

We were staying in Newport recently and had a really good curry here, told about it by locals we had been talking to in another pub we thought we'd give it a try. Don't be put off by the look of the place from the outside, its the inside that counts. A nice long bar, plenty of seating and friendly staff.
The curries are really authentic, spicy hot if you like hot curry and very tasty, plenty on the plate served with a naan bread and poppadoms, its also one of the cheapest pints in the village with a choice of ales too.
They list of curries on the menu is good, from Indian to Thai, they also do the normal pub fare and fish looked good.
Next time we visit Newport we will definitely have another curry.

• Visited May 2014